• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thedutchtouch

Feb 14, 2023
    Hi all, I'm a newbie. Shot a bit in the past, have deer hunted with a bow the last few years, but currently not a gun owner. looking to change that asap, and the main reason I'm getting into guns/shooting is to expand my hunting options, although it is fun to plink or target shoot as well. Safety/home security somewhat of a third factor but I'm a hunter first so that's my primary goal, and really liking the CVA brand, both for muzzleloader and 350 legend. On that note I'm headed out to do some long gun shopping now, but would appreciate any advice or recommendations for hql course as well, as I do plan to own a variety. I realize there's a training section and have looked there but would appreciate your anecdotes and advice, particularly if you're somewhat local to the College Park area (I'd rather not drive 2 hours for a course if there's a good instructor 20 min away, that sort of thing)

Thanks all!

TwinTurbskis

professional amateur
    Jun 9, 2020
    Derwood, MD
    Welcome from MoCo. My only training experience (2-day W&C class) was with IOTA training group in Marriottsville and thought they were good. It would be around 45 mins from College Park depending on traffic.

cyberalex

MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2022
    Federalsburg, Maryland
    Hi all, I'm a newbie. Shot a bit in the past, have deer hunted with a bow the last few years, but currently not a gun owner. looking to change that asap, and the main reason I'm getting into guns/shooting is to expand my hunting options, although it is fun to plink or target shoot as well. Safety/home security somewhat of a third factor but I'm a hunter first so that's my primary goal, and really liking the CVA brand, both for muzzleloader and 350 legend. On that note I'm headed out to do some long gun shopping now, but would appreciate any advice or recommendations for hql course as well, as I do plan to own a variety. I realize there's a training section and have looked there but would appreciate your anecdotes and advice, particularly if you're somewhat local to the College Park area (I'd rather not drive 2 hours for a course if there's a good instructor 20 min away, that sort of thing)

Thanks all!
    Welcome to MDS! :)

thedutchtouch

Feb 14, 2023
    Slightly more official now, I ended up visiting United, Engage, and then Atlantic. The first and last were more my speed, I don't think I'm tacticool enough to blend in with the engage crowd (and crowd it was, they were busy!) While I'm sure it's a great store.

I ended up bringing home a used but very nice looking (still has the stickers on the wood) savage mark 2 22lr to start plinking and getting used to things with. I was planning on picking up a Ruger 10/22 or something with a cheap synthetic stock but couldn't stop going back to this one so it came home with me instead. It has a cheap tasco scope mounted and should be a nice gun to poke holes in paper and cans, or a squirrel or two. It has a cheap tasco scope mounted, nothing special but it'll get the job done this summer and for the price I picked it up for I am very happy. Now that I own #1 I can feel the floodgates trying to open already. I forgot his name but was helped by a very nice (older white) guy at Atlantic who seemed to be in charge/other employees were asking him things Bob or Bill possibly? Anyhow, even though my memory for names is terrible, I plan to return for my next purchase mainly due to his patience with my newbie questions and wealth of knowledge.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    , but would appreciate any advice or recommendations for hql course as well,

Thanks all!

Your Hunter Safety Card will fill the training requirement for an HQL . You will need electronic fingerprints , and the $50 fee , then watch your email inbox .

Pro Tip - If a Carry Permit is in your future , get they Carry Permit first , and then you can request a No Charge HQL .

Even with the HQL training met , you'd still save $125 - ish .

But what if hypothetically you had zero interest in Carry Permit , but you wish to gain some basic Handgun knowledge & skills because You feel it's beneficial ?

Still use the HS Card to apply for HQL now , and sign up for NRA Basic Pistol .

thedutchtouch

Feb 14, 2023
    Ah I've been somewhat confused by this. I did hunter safety out of state years ago in NJ and it was a shotgun/rifle course, but since MD has accepted that for hunter safety I'm good to go for hql? Good to know. I think it makes sense to pursue all the training/licensing to have the option to carry and to have some time with an instructor ensuring I haven't taught myself any bad practices but that does help quite a bit thank you.

thedutchtouch

Feb 14, 2023
    Man this hobby is adding up quickly, I've already had a 22 and 350legend follow me home and just got fingerprinted for hql (training exempt, hunter safety done years ago)...

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    Man this hobby is adding up quickly, I've already had a 22 and 350legend follow me home and just got fingerprinted for hql (training exempt, hunter safety done years ago)...
    Welcome aboard! Yep - they're like potato chips. Or rabbits. Or rabbits eating potato chips. One is never enough and they keep multiplying.

thedutchtouch

Feb 14, 2023
    Welcome aboard! Yep - they're like potato chips. Or rabbits. Or rabbits eating potato chips. One is never enough and they keep multiplying.
    seems that way! i just submitted for my HQL, so looking forward to getting a few of those kind of chips soon as well!

thedutchtouch

Feb 14, 2023
    ive been checking the checklist daily since i submitted for my HQL on friday, how does one calm themselves down and be patient for the longer waits like form 1/ form 4 when i'm this impatient?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Put it completely out of your mind , pretend you didn't actually buy it , then act surprised when the stamp arrives .

Slhaney

Sep 8, 2019
    Street, MD

Thanks all!
    Hi and welcome. Just want to let you know that if you have had a hunters safety course, as is likely since you do hunt, you would be exempt from the training requirement to get your HQL.

thedutchtouch

Feb 14, 2023
    Hi and welcome. Just want to let you know that if you have had a hunters safety course, as is likely since you do hunt, you would be exempt from the training requirement to get your HQL.
    yep thank you! I decided to just apply for HQL last week as i havent been able to find a wear/carry course that is compatible with my schedule yet, so paying the extra fee to not delay ability to purchase any longer... fingerprints and online application are done, submitted my hunter safety etc and now just waiting to see when its approved.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Welcome from Washington County. I'm a bit far for you, but got a backyard 20 yard range for pistols. We did the W&C training at Maryland Arsenal. Probably way too far for you, but the owner is from DC and has all those carry permits and lives there too. He ran out classes.

Got a CVA Accura in 50 myself and my daughter bought a 45. Had trouble with the scope wobbling hunting after shooting it in. So I never shoot it at an animal this past year. I thought I screwed up the scope mount. I came to find out the weaver rail that was factory installed was loose. I blue lock tight all my scopes, especially the crossbow. Didn't figure on the factory screws loosening. Check my daughters that was never shot and they felt finger tight and I put lock tight on her screws also. I love the gun, but thought the weaver rail mount being loose was a poor quality move.

The finger prints expire in a couple months, so don't wait for W&C. Mine were over a year and not acceptable to be used still.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom