• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LeadSled1

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 25, 2009
    MD
    I thought this would be the best place to ask. My son who is now 17 previously shot with 4H in shotgun sports. 5 stand, sporting clays, skeet, and trap. He wants to do more with pistols and rifles now but I don't know a lot about the sport aspect of it. Our brief history, we just moved to Harford late last year. Previously we had our own steel pistol range and 100 yd rifle range on our eastern shore farm that we just sold. So he has experience with firearm safety (also has hunted since 8 years old, and I am a RSO) and the mechanics of semi and bolt rifles and pistols. But now we are in a townhouse, and in a new area. He will also be joining the Army after he graduates next year and would like to be more familiar with operating rifles/pistols and target transition by that time. Can anyone offer some insight into where to go from here? I think his end goal is to try 3 gun down the road.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    3 gun match at peacemaker (above winchester) may 20, and then at thurmont (above frederick) the monday of memorial day weekend. great opportunity to see how everything works, guns & gear involved, and ask lots of questions. you can tag along on my squad as spectators and we'll get you up to speed.

there's an idpa match at thurmont this sunday, again another opportunity to spectate and see how it works (this is pistol only). you can tag along with my squad.

peacemaker has a falling steel match the saturday of memorial day weekend, again another chance, and with this one, if y'all bring your handguns, holsters, etc, you will be able to compete in this match (handgun only, falling steel, uspsa-style run-n-gun). you'll need to pre-register and pay. if you do the afternoon match you can squad with me and again i'll get you all taken care of. you can also spectate at the morning match.

LeadSled1

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 25, 2009
    MD
    Awesome, thank you for the information and the offers. We are waiting to see if he has a lacrosse playoff game for states on the 20th or not. Right now it is a game every other day as the playoffs progress. The semi-finals are listed 19/20 so it could be that Friday or that Saturday if they make it that far. If we don't make it on the 20th we would like to get to Thurmont on Memorial day to check it out with you.

This Sunday would be a no-go, Mother's Day and Church. That is double trouble if I skip out.

To get ready for any shoots we will need to get the right holster and mag pouches. We have the right tools I believe, CZ SP01 and XDM Comp 45 with lots of mags for both but need the rest of the accessories. How many mag pouches are needed and what type? CZs are 18 rounds and XDMs are 13 rounds. Should I outfit the 9mm CZ first or the 45? Serpa style retention holsters or something else?

We also currently have a pair of ARs, one 5.56 (M&P 15) with irons and one 300 blk (Seekins) with PFI RR-Evolution BLK specific with BDC. Working on another build at this time but want to see some configurations at the shoots so we can spec the rest out just for this type of shooting. I am guessing 5.56 is better for this type of shooting than 300 blk? No ideas on distances being shot.

Shotgun the primary is a SX3 with extension tube (10rd). Also have a Beretta but it is very capacity limited (3901).

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    you're going to get a hundred different opinions on guns and gear. 9mm is pretty much king (cheap and low recoil) in idpa, uspsa and 3 gun. i have and use serpa holsters for my various glocks, but a few idiots shot themselves while drawing so there is a lot of hate. you definitely want some sort of retention for 3 gun as i have seen handguns fly out; but not needed for uspsa or idpa. 3 gun at peacemaker goes out to around 500 yds, which makes the match a bunch of fun. i haven't shot 3g at thurmont yet but to date it's been close range (ie, bays) although they've talked about using their rifle range which i think goes to 300. again 223/5.56 is the most common due to cost and recoil. seriously though i wouldn't run out and get a bunch of gear before checking out a few matches and seeing what folks use and like and what might work for you. you want your shottie to hold 9 with an empty chamber so sounds like you have that covered, but i shot my first couple of matches with a "normal" short tube, shells in pockets, and spent a lot of time loading and loading.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Charles of the Manor

Latest threads

Top Bottom