• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shootin the breeze

Missed it by that much
    Dec 22, 2012
    Highland
    So, my c&r came today. Right at thirty days from send out. Really surprised at the turn around speed.

I'm a total noob at c&r so I'd like suggestions. Rifle or pistol, doesn't matter. I will say I do want an M1 and that would be a fine first purchase. I would love some help navigating the cmp program and advice on the grade level to select. I am active duty.

Regardless of what you guys suggest money is an object as I have other purchases to make before the ban as does everyone living behind the iron curtain.

Thanks in advance for your help.:D

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    So, my c&r came today. Right at thirty days from send out. Really surprised at the turn around speed.

I'm a total noob at c&r so I'd like suggestions. Rifle or pistol, doesn't matter. I will say I do want an M1 and that would be a fine first purchase. I would love some help navigating the cmp program and advice on the grade level to select. I am active duty.

Regardless of what you guys suggest money is an object as I have other purchases to make before the ban as does everyone living behind the iron curtain.

i would suggest a mosin 91/30.

cz27jim

I *am* a curio and relic!
    Sep 27, 2012
    :thumbsup: on the Mosin 91/30.
    CZ-82
    WWII era Walther P38 (rather than the later P1 w/ alloy frame)
    WWII era 1911

Bravo757

Stand In The Gap
    Apr 5, 2013
    Hagerstown
    M1 is a great rifle - if you're ever thinking about a bolt action - a good Mauser is a great place to start and there's only about 85 major variations so its easy to get hooked and have a reason to pick up another one here and another there - here a Mauser - there a Mauser but never enough in the collection.

Malblast

Apr 15, 2012
    First make sure you have your ffl on file with as many places as possible you never know what might pop up. I started with a nice 38 Tula 91/30 mosin laminated stock. Ever since then I can't seem to get rid of the fever that spreads every time I get an in stock email

UpperMarlboroMan

Mar 11, 2013
    Wow, where to begin? The most abundant surplus rifles are the Mosin family (91/30 and M44s being the most plentiful). These are also attractive because because the 7.62x54R surplus rounds are still readily available. If you are lucky you can find crates of 880 rounds for under $200 shipped. There are still also the Yugo M24/47s rifles at a couple of the major C&R suppliers. These sometimes come with accessories and bayonet. The 8 mm surplus is drying up these days so you might have to do some looking. If you want something a little nicer, look for the Swiss straight pull rifles like the K31. These are getting more expensive, but some vendors still have these for under $400. Again, the ammo can be found, but surplus supply is tight.

For handguns, you might be interested in the things like the Radom P64 in 9x18, the Beretta M1951 in 9 mm, the CZ82 in 9x18, and anything in the Tokarev family in 7.62x25 (surplus ammo is available, but not sure of the supplies). For a nice, cheap revolver a MUST buy is the Nagant M1895 in 7.62x38R...these can still be found under $120.

I think the thing to keep in mind for these is what you are looking for. A shooter? Collector? Trade bait? I would start out with some Mosin shooters and learn about those. These are great rifles and you get the added benefit of learning the ropes on how to remove cosmoline! I am not a reloader, so availability of ammo is an important consideration for me.

shootin the breeze

Missed it by that much
    Dec 22, 2012
    Highland
    Thanks for the heads up on filing the ffl. While that's obvious, 2+2 was not added, lol.

Great ideas everyone but I think cz27jim has given me my inspiration: WWII era 1911. Getting a little excited thinking about that now.

Thanks for all the info, UMM. To start, they will all be shooters, followed by collectors although most likely even the collectors will be shot. Maybe eventually there will be trade bait after the collection swells.

If anyone is close to MoCo and wouldn't mind giving me some hands on schooling, I'd be much obliged.

Last edited:

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    Thanks for the heads up on filing the ffl. While that's obvious, 2+2 was not added, lol.

Great ideas everyone but I think cz27jim has given me my inspiration: WWII era 1911. Getting a little excited thinking about that now.

big bux if you are on a budget.:innocent0

shootin the breeze

Missed it by that much
    Dec 22, 2012
    Highland
    Well, budget is relative for the right gun. I maybe could be persuaded to part with up to a grand but I'd prefer less. Since c&r seems to be safe until the next legislative session, spending a bunch more isn't necessary.

UpperMarlboroMan

Mar 11, 2013
    If you are interested in some great US WW2 history that is a little cheaper, check out the CMP Garands. This will be my next rifle purchase.

necrodude

Aug 22, 2012
    PG county, MD
    If you are interested in some great US WW2 history that is a little cheaper, check out the CMP Garands. This will be my next rifle purchase.
    Yeah the CMP does do a good job, got this 5.8mil Garand alittle while back.:D

Attachments

• IMG_20130113_212725.jpg
      IMG_20130113_212725.jpg
      57.9 KB · Views: 172

DennisCA

My 2 cents

Well it really depends on you budget, but here's a few suggestions:
    mycollectionwslings.jpg

Left to Right:
    1942 91-30 (Izhevesk) 7.62X54r cal
    1942 91-30 Laminate (Izhevesk) 7.62X54r cal
    1941 Finnish M39
    1943 British Enfield Mk4 No 1 .303 cal
    Yugoslavain 24/47 -8mm cal
    1943 Polish M44 -7.62X54r cal
    1934 Steyr M95 (Austrian) Carbine 8X56r

Most folks get either a Mosin or some type of Mauser.
    Both a (fairly) inexpensive and so is the ammo.
    The Enfield is a fun gun to shoot but surplus ammo is getting hard
    and harder to find. You can find commercial stuff but it isn't cheap.
    The Steyr kicks like a pissed-off mule and surplus is almost non-existent.
    Commercial ammo is expensive!
    One final word: Get some thing you (and your budget) can be happy with!
    GOOD LUCK!
    :party29:

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    +1 for the M1 Garand. Everyone should have one in their collection.

As for the Mosin, I say M44. Cooler than a 91/30.

Jul 1, 2012
    Well, hell. Guess I'm not up to speed on WWII 1911 prices. Need to double the budget. That will have to wait for a bit. Oh well.

Congrats on getting the C&R - a wise move in these troubling times.

You can still occasionally find mixed-parts WWI/WWII 1911's and/or ones that have gone through the arsenal refurbishing process for pretty reasonable prices (~1k). Many have WWI frames with WWII slides, etc so you get the history of two wars and a good-shooting gun that you won't feel bad about actually using. If you don't care about looks a 1911 with a lot of finish loss is usually a pretty good deal too and in the < 1K range. WWII-era Remington Rand are the most plentiful; a really nice all-original RR just sold on GB last night for less than $1500. Anything with "Colt" logo will cost alot more... but RR, etc are identical in function & performance by definition, same history.

Not sure where CMP is price-wise right now and what quality they have in stock(and they are backed up several months). M1 carbine and M1 Garand prices have gone thru the roof in the past few months out in the world. And I doubt the prices will fall so get em now.

Just make sure BEFORE you buy something (especially on GunBroker etc) that they'll send it to you direct on your C&R, not everybody will. It truly sucks to buy a C&R pistol only to find out afterwards they'll only send to an FFL-01. Trust me, I know that feeling well !

Also be aware that handguns "have" to be shipped to FFL-03 via FEDEX or UPS Overnight Air which ain't cheap (BATF rules are just "by contract carrier" but both companies require overnight air).

Good Luck & Have Fun!

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Guns that should be on any C&R wishlist (most of which I found)

Rifles:
    Finnish M28/76 Marksmanship Rifle
    Czech Vz.54
    FN-49 (7mm,8mm, .30-06, and .308)
    Hakim
    M1 Garand
    BM59
    M44
    M91/30
    Yugo M48
    SKS

Pistols:
    Cz.82
    P-64
    Tokarev TT/TTC
    Cz.52
    Nagant Pistol

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    Does the new "law" give the MSP the same right to inspect and harass C&R licensees as it does to FFL holders. Have been toying with the idea of getting a C&R but have held off, because I don't want to give anyone the right to come in and "inspect my books" or whatever else they may call it. Just wondering if the Firearm Safety Act increases the risk of having the boys in brown knock on your door for a friendly chat?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    incase

Latest threads

Top Bottom