• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bmorewineguy

Sep 29, 2013
    Edgewater
    My parents were cleaning out my Grandmothers attic and found this shotgun. I have no idea when my Grandfather bought it but he passed away in the early 80s.

shotgun.jpg
    stock.jpg
    Barrel.jpg
    close up barrel markings.jpg

bmorewineguy

Sep 29, 2013
    Edgewater
    Obviously, it's a Sterlingworth.:)

You may find this interesting.

http://www.foxcollectors.com/ah_fox/content/sterlingworth.html

Looks like a beauty.:thumbsup:

That's good reading. It looks like it is one of the later versions from Philadelphia. I can't wait to see it in person. It will be nice to have something of my grandfathers even if it isn't worth much.

Any good shotgun smiths in the Baltimore area that could look at this and see if it is a shooter or wall hanger?

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    That looks like a decent AH Fox Sterlingworth and may be an early pin gun, do you have a pic of the side of the receiver? Also a pic of the shotgun assembled showing the lever position when closed gives a good general idea of mechanical condition.
    I would be happy to look it over for you if you wanted to meet me at the AGC, I know a thing or 2 on vintage guns.

bmorewineguy

Sep 29, 2013
    Edgewater
    That looks like a decent AH Fox Sterlingworth and may be an early pin gun, do you have a pic of the side of the receiver? Also a pic of the shotgun assembled showing the lever position when closed gives a good general idea of mechanical condition.
    I would be happy to look it over for you if you wanted to meet me at the AGC, I know a thing or 2 on vintage guns.

I would love to have you take a look at it. Unfortunately I won't be able to get to my parents house until around Christmas. I was lucky to get the pics that I did though. I will post more pics when I have it in hand.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    The Sterlingworth is a very good vintage SxS. The mechanicals are basically the same as Fox's graded guns. Fox needed a less expensive gun to sell as even their lowest grade was more than the average man at the time could afford.
    A.H. Fox did not want his name on a lower priced gun so it was named the Sterlingworth, still came off the production line at the Fox factory.
    Good original 12 gauge's go for 700 to 1000, beat up one's are 200 to 300, 16's go for more and 20's bring top money.
    Here is a pic of my 2 graded Fox's from the same era, an AE and a XE.

Attachments

• DSCN0273.jpg
      DSCN0273.jpg
      67.1 KB · Views: 304
    • DSCN0270.jpg
      DSCN0270.jpg
      83.1 KB · Views: 294

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Augie, I believe here's some kind of law of physics that says ya cannot have two side by sides (that nice) ...side by side. Seems you need to break that pair up. As a natural born giver, I'm willing to give whichever one you decide to banish (in the name of physics and natural law) a great new home. I here for ya big fella. Just let me know...

PS. For the record...you sure got a nice pair there...

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Augie, I believe here's some kind of law of physics that says ya cannot have two side by sides (that nice) ...side by side. Seems you need to break that pair up. As a natural born giver, I'm willing to give whichever one you decide to banish (in the name of physics and natural law) a great new home. I here for ya big fella. Just let me know...

PS. For the record...you sure got a nice pair there...

The generosity of this forum never ceases to amaze me:)

bmorewineguy

Sep 29, 2013
    Edgewater
    Nice. They gonna give it to you or are they going to sell it?

It looks like it's going to be my Christmas present.

And I forgot, this is what I mean about a pin gun, they were actually the earliest Sterlingworth's, had a recessed hinge pin like a Parker.

http://www.foxcollectors.com/ah_fox/content/sterlingworth_3.html

I was going to ask you today what that referred to but luckily I was able to find the answer pouring through the Fox Collectors website earlier today.

I was able to get the serial number today. 52xxx, looks like it was produced in 1910. My mother thinks her Grandfather purchased it originally. Apparently it was in the original case which disintegrated when it was picked up. My mom said the shotgun was in a cloth sleeve, sounded to me like a gun sock so I am hoping it was protected. The pictures of it seem to look pretty good for a hundred + year old gun. I'm pretty sure it hasn't been touched in at least 30 years maybe more.

I'm about to add some new pics as well.

bmorewineguy

Sep 29, 2013
    Edgewater
    The Sterlingworth is a very good vintage SxS. The mechanicals are basically the same as Fox's graded guns. Fox needed a less expensive gun to sell as even their lowest grade was more than the average man at the time could afford.
    A.H. Fox did not want his name on a lower priced gun so it was named the Sterlingworth, still came off the production line at the Fox factory.
    Good original 12 gauge's go for 700 to 1000, beat up one's are 200 to 300, 16's go for more and 20's bring top money.
    Here is a pic of my 2 graded Fox's from the same era, an AE and a XE.

Those are beautiful. What years are they?

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Yours looks to be in good shape and it is an early pin gun, great gift from your folks and huge plus that it was your Grandfathers.
    Mine are from 1918 and 1921 if I remember right.

Feb 28, 2013
    I was able to get the serial number today. 52xxx, looks like it was produced in 1910. My mother thinks her Grandfather purchased it originally. Apparently it was in the original case which disintegrated when it was picked up. My mom said the shotgun was in a cloth sleeve, sounded to me like a gun sock so I am hoping it was protected. The pictures of it seem to look pretty good for a hundred + year old gun. I'm pretty sure it hasn't been touched in at least 30 years maybe more.

I would advise having a Smith look at it before it gets fired, that is if you ever intend to fire it.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    And after having that Smith look at it, if it's deemed sound....go shoot it and think about your grandfather and what he may have thought about you shooting it. (and I'll just bet he would smile!).

5.56blaster

Ultimate Member
    I have a 12 and 16 ga. Just like that. My grandfather bought them in the 30's. Mine were used for hunting for years. I had them looked at several years ago and they were valued at around $1000 each. Priceless to me. Nice find.

Feb 28, 2013
    And after having that Smith look at it, if it's deemed sound....go shoot it and think about your grandfather and what he may have thought about you shooting it. (and I'll just bet he would smile!).

It's bringing a smile even to my face thinking about how proud his grandpappy would probably have been.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom