• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Infantry23

Ultimate Member
    Dec 9, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Hey guys, I'm an idiot and dropped a primer in my garage and i cant find it on the floor! I am going to keep looking obviously. I just want to know how dangerous this can be. I will keep everyone out of the garage until I find it.

Infantry23

Ultimate Member
    Dec 9, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Lol. Nice. Looking more for destructive capability of a large pistol primer. I have kids so I'm pretty concerned until I find the darn thing.

Bang

Ultimate Member
    Feb 3, 2008
    Baltimore Co.
    It's not a bouncing Betty or toe popper. I have beat the crap out of a primer to set it off and it didn't blow.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I wouldn't worry about it much. I suppose someone could set it off with a hammer and nail if they were motivated enough. If they were going to, I would recommend they wear eye protection.

You could cover the nozzle of a vacuum cleaner hose with a bit of old panty hose, held on with a rubber band. That's a good way to find small lost objects. Police investigators sometime look for evidence that way.

Infantry23

Ultimate Member
    Dec 9, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Thanks guys. I am new to reloading as you can tell by now! This makes me feel better with crazy kids in the house. I'll keep looking!

Infantry23

Ultimate Member
    Dec 9, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Panty hose vacuum! Great idea! I have cordoned off the area and i will attack it in grids... with panty hose. This is so simple. Thanks for the ideas!

240 towles

master of puppets
    Mar 31, 2009
    ?
    wont set off from stepping on it, sweep the floor, if you still can't find it, you should be alright. don't lose sleep over it.

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    They find their way into the craziest places.

I found several stuck under the legs of my reloading stool. Looked like they were hammered in there. I weigh about 230 and they were smashed. No detonation.

To this day I still wonder how that happened.:sad20:

Try to hold the flashlight horizontal to the floor. the shadow will give it away if it's in the open.:thumbsup:

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Yeah, primers aren't exactly easy to set off - they are designed to be ignited with a small strike in a centralized area, but to just step on one? Not so much - for my own curiosity I tried mashing one in a vise once (one that I'd bent by accidentally trying to seat it sideways) and it didn't go off. Others I've flattened with a hammer, and they bang pretty good - about like a firecracker. They might cause a blister or some bleeding on a toe, but they aren't going to take one off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom