• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TNW

Jan 27, 2014
    I have the Colt and an Engage/BCM/Noveske mutt. Both are great. For you I would go with the Colt.

There has been some debate on the legality of the M&P15 (even the sport), and I would rather play it safe. I prefer the Colt anyways so I guess it's just a bonus. Buy once cry once.

Edit: if you're at engage, check out some piston AR's. They have a different mechanism so they aren't technically AR15s if I recall correctly. I'm tempted to buy the FDE Sig even though I just finished a build. Awesome folks there too. Can't go wrong at engage.

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    I have a windtham m4 hbar, as well a colt. Although it is cheaper the windtham is IMHO built to tighter tolerances than the colt.

It's your money but IMHO either one will serve you fine

Did you whip out your digital calipers and check the tolerances?:rolleyes:

What is built to tighter tolerances?

OP, here's what you need to know about Windham....

1. They used (maybe still do) the wrong FSP's on flat tops. If you buy one, you may need to switch it out for an F marked one.

2. They use straight pins on their FSP instead of taper pins.

3. There gas ports are over sized.

4. Barrels are not HP/MP

5. Poor staking on gas keys that were made in Taiwan.

6. Castle Nut not staked.

7. Blue extractor insert wit no crane o-ring and no upgraded extractor spring.

8. Carbine buffer instead of H buffer

9. 1/9 twist barrel

You most likely won't have any problems with your Windham if you only expect to use it at the range and you don't plan on running 500 rounds in a day at carbine classes. Other than that, they are over gassed and won't be as smooth as something else with a mil-spec diameter gas port and an H buffer.

By the way, I don't own a Colt but if I were to buy an H-Bar tomorrow, it would most likely be a Colt.

yardman

Oct 11, 2010
    Columbia
    Picked up my colt 6721 today and like it already had plans to go shoot it thursday but with the storm not sure if it will be possible.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    This thread brings up a sad issue. What ARE the HBAR options other than the windham, 6721, and M&P sport. Or is that it??? :shrug:

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    ok, that helps. Not so many threads on those that Ive seen. Colt and windham seem to be reiterated over and over and over though.

SB281 Blaster

Feb 4, 2014
    Queenstown
    stag, dpms, rra

I have a Rock River Arms model #AR1221 and like it better than the Colt and the Windham. The Windham is a great rifle for the money. I like all their stuff. But just my 2 cents worth. I think CMMG makes a model M6A2L5B that is a heavy barrel but I can't recommend it one way or another.

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    I have a Rock River Arms model #AR1221 and like it better than the Colt and the Windham. The Windham is a great rifle for the money. I like all their stuff. But just my 2 cents worth. I think CMMG makes a model M6A2L5B that is a heavy barrel but I can't recommend it one way or another.

What do you like better about it?

Sent with a Gen 2 Nexus 7

TNW

Jan 27, 2014
    This thread brings up a sad issue. What ARE the HBAR options other than the windham, 6721, and M&P sport. Or is that it??? :shrug:

Be careful... I would talk to as many FFL's and IP's as possible about the M&P sport.

If you go in looking for a rifle, the Folks at Engage won't steer you wrong. It was worth the hour plus drive for me. I'd really recommend looking at the Sig they have in.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Be careful... I would talk to as many FFL's and IP's as possible about the M&P sport.

If you go in looking for a rifle, the Folks at Engage won't steer you wrong. It was worth the hour plus drive for me. I'd really recommend looking at the Sig they have in.

I have talked to a couple FFLs that said :thumbsup:
    and one that said :tdown:
    Don;t know how that's possible. The one that said :tdown: also said scars and a few others were illegal as well. Basically whatever they had in stock was the only thing that was good to go :rolleyes: So I took that with a grain of salt.

DarrellA

Jacksonian Independent
    Aug 20, 2013
    MD

I'm waffling between an AR and the Mini 14. Just can't seem to fall in love with the scary black rifles. Maybe if I slapped some wood furniture on it.

Anyhow, are there any shops in MD where I can actually get to handle a Mini 14 before I make a purchase decision?

BigBoiB

Jun 4, 2013
    MoCo, Md.... for now!
    I went by Engage to see what they had and recommended. Ended up liking one of their builds that might be the answer. It's a little more that I was looking to spend, but it's still within the budget (if that makes any sense). Going to check out a few more places and hold a few more options before making a choice.

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    I'm waffling between an AR and the Mini 14. Just can't seem to fall in love with the scary black rifles. Maybe if I slapped some wood furniture on it.

Anyhow, are there any shops in MD where I can actually get to handle a Mini 14 before I make a purchase decision?

Where are you located?

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    I went by Engage to see what they had and recommended. Ended up liking one of their builds that might be the answer. It's a little more that I was looking to spend, but it's still within the budget (if that makes any sense). Going to check out a few more places and hold a few more options before making a choice.

Yea, if you're not going to buy a Colt, I would definitely buy one of their builds. It's as good or better than a Colt. Might not keep it's value as good but will shoot as good.

Rapture

Total Loser
    Jun 5, 2013
    In the woods

Lou over at Shooters Discount in Mt. Airy may have a few left. Give him a shout.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom