• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gforce

MDS Supporter
    Aug 22, 2018
    Title hits it in one. Shirts are in mortal peril if they are place under or over my appendix rig. Thought I had been afflicted by a moth infestation before I came back from work with more holes in my shirt than I left with. Heavy (14Oz) cotton tshirts down to lightweight synthetic Tees, all seem to be victims of the rig, flannels have not escaped the chaos either. I have probably 10 tshirts that look like they caught a small dose of birdshot all over the lower center, several polos and flannels similarly trashed. The problem began before I added an optic, the rear sight is tapered in and not sharp at all, the slide is pretty rounded, not agressive like a pdp slide, the holster isn’t sharp on the edges, I’ve taken sandpaper to it anyway.

It’s not just work clothes as I first assumed, no shirt has been impervious. Some shirts only used as undershirts have developed the same holes.

Am I missing something obvious that is destroying my wardrobe? Is this a normal occurrence? Any pointers greatly appreciated.

reference image below.
    IMG_0016.jpeg

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    What part of your set-up is causing the holes - the grip, the holster, or the slide? I'd start from there for diagnosing a fix. Put one of those shirts on and map the holes back to the problem. Assuming it's the grip, some goon tape will help.

Mule

Just Mule
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2013
    Pic(s) of the damage on the shirt?

The rear sight looks like it could be a contender. Even if it's not super sharp, it could still be sharp enough to cut, when fabric is stretched across it, and torsional pressure is applied. (Not necessarily knife slashes, but rather lots of micro abrasions in the same area becoming a ragged hole over time)

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Presuming it is your grip surface , you have two options .

Make your grip surface less abrasive .

Consider your T shirts a consumable , and buy replacements by the pack at wal mart or thrift store .

gforce

MDS Supporter
    Aug 22, 2018
    attaching image of 2 that are trashed
    What part of your set-up is causing the holes - the grip, the holster, or the slide? I'd start from there for diagnosing a fix. Put one of those shirts on and map the holes back to the problem. Assuming it's the grip, some goon tape will help.
    That is the odd part, it’s a bit of a scatter plot biased slightly left of center. I’m RH carrying right of center. Very strange location, see below.
    Maybe go one size up?:shrug:
    I've never had this issue.
    gone up 2 as a test, same effect. I don’t wear tight shirts for concealment, mostly loose work shirts.
    I will bet a pack of candy cigarettes that it is his "skateboard grip tape"
    Could be, hadn’t considered the grip. Assumed it was metal or a plastic edge causing it. This is the stock MR920 grip, it’s not nearly as aggressive as skateboard tape. May still be the problem though
    IMG_3852.jpeg

gforce

MDS Supporter
    Aug 22, 2018
    It's the small bit of grip tape on the back strap.

Hadn’t considered the backstrap at all. There are a few shirts with right biased outliers that would make total sense for that.
    Presuming it is your grip surface , you have two options .

Make your grip surface less abrasive .

Consider your T shirts a consumable , and buy replacements by the pack at wal mart or thrift store .
    I’ve been practicing option 2 for now, will look at one after the responses here. It’s a fine stopgap solution, I destroy shirts at work anyway with chemicals/rips/etc. The principle of it irritates me however.
    LOL; that's not trashed!
    I have skiddy drawers and t shirts that have less fabric than you have holes in the above shirts!
    Redneck it and carry on. :D
    Hah, thanks for the reality check. I still use these as shop shirts. The ones with index finger sized holes get tossed, so I don’t have any to show; can’t be having a porthole in my garments

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Now seeing your shirts, your holster clips have to be eating them. Do you tuck your shirts under them or notice them getting caught somehow? Grip tape doesn't cut like that. Those holes look too low for anything grip wise .
    Do you lean against anything on the regular? Like your seat belt anchor pushing against it.

gforce

MDS Supporter
    Aug 22, 2018
    Never tuck my shirts under the clips. not much leaning, but lots of team lifts at work that result in a case or other equipment sliding up or down the front of my body. Could have the same effect

edit: I have noticed a shirt stuck twice. I’d forgotten about that. Both times the shirt sported a fresh hole. Stuck on the clip or belt buckle, was at work and didn’t have time to investigate properly

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Never tuck my shirts under the clips. not much leaning, but lots of team lifts at work that result in a case or other equipment sliding up or down the front of my body. Could have the same effect

edit: I have noticed a shirt stuck twice. I’d forgotten about that. Both times the shirt sported a fresh hole. Stuck on the clip or belt buckle, was at work and didn’t have time to investigate properly
    Yeah I'm going with the seat belt clip anchor thingy pushing against your shirt against the clip.

gforce

MDS Supporter
    Aug 22, 2018
    Yeah I'm going with the seat belt clip anchor thingy pushing against your shirt against the clip.
    You might be on to something there, that’s the correct height. these Crappy plastic clips are getting sanded tonight. I’ll be more aware of how the seatbelts press on it.

Need a set of DCC clips for this thing anyway, plastic clips slide too much. Though I might need to wrap them in gaff tape if these plastic ones are the culprits.

gforce

MDS Supporter
    Aug 22, 2018
    Well, blaster put me on the right track, went and sat in the truck a few times with holy shirts on. When seated the holes fall very close to both holster clips and the kore belt buckle. Between a long commute and driving equipment as needed there is plenty of time for mischief while I’m seated.

Sanding party will now commence

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    The grip is standard Shadow Systems - abrasive.

I have the same wear pattern on several of my t-shirts (even worse) from my Shadow pistol, and all of my holsters are Tenicor. I’m thinking grip related issue and you’ll just have to buy new shirts (and get more from your employer ;)).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom