• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mr phil

Ultimate Member
    Dec 9, 2007
    beach
    Picked up a Like new .50 cal Knight Disk [orange disk]. I have not shot her yet but my question is about the disk. When I put the disk in and close the bolt after I open the bolt I have to pry the disk back out with a knife . This can't be right.
    I don't have the instructions for it and I could not find them online.
    Mabe it just need to be cleaned or am I putting it in wrong? ( NO thats not " what she said" )

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    WOW people still have these guns ? I thought they went the way of the Yugo.

Those disks were a complete pain in the ass and the extra expense of buying them was/is a scam. Those disks will get jammed on the breech plug and you do have to pry them off. There's no advantage to those disks and they are a complete hassle. I don't know too many guys who actually hunt in the rain, unless you live in a rain forest, the DISC guns are quite wasteful. All that disc actually is, is nothing more, than a raincoat for your primer. I'm not sure why you chose the DISC rifles over other easier to load guns, but, I personally would have walked away from it. If you plan to keep that gun and you can find someone who has the disc's in stock you better buy all they have.

DISC = Dual Ignition System Concept

Jan 28, 2013

Those disks were a complete pain in the ass and the extra expense of buying them was/is a scam. Those disks will get jammed on the breech plug and you do have to pry them off. There's no advantage to those disks and they are a complete hassle. I don't know too many guys who actually hunt in the rain, unless you live in a rain forest, the DISC guns are quite wasteful. All that disc actually is, is nothing more, than a raincoat for your primer. I'm not sure why you chose the DISC rifles over other easier to load guns, but, I personally would have walked away from it. If you plan to keep that gun and you can find someone who has the disc's in stock you better buy all they have.

Whoa whoa hold the horses now.

1. They are still made. http://www.knightrifles.com/original-disc/
    2. Convert it to the red plastic jacket and when you pull the breach back it removes the jacket and primer easy as pie. http://www.knightrifles.com/disc-extreme-conversion-kit/
    3. If you dont want to use plastic jackets at all then you can add this breach plug. http://www.knightrifles.com/bare-209-primer-conversion-kit/

I have a knight disc elite that uses the red plastic jacket. Spent 2 years looking for one after they went out of production. Knight is the only muzzleloader I will own. To this day many still consider the disc elite one of the best handling most accurate muzzleloaders ever made.

P.S. I dont know about the OP's gun but the 4 knights I have had all absolutely loved this simple bullet more than anything else I ever tried. http://www.knightrifles.com/lead-bullets-M900203/

Kimber45

Jan 14, 2011
    Whiteford
    I have one I bought new back in the 90's I never had a problem with the orange disc sticking, mine fall right out when you open the bolt and tilt the gun over. I still use it to this day.
    Are you inserting the primer in the side with the holes?

mr phil

Ultimate Member
    Dec 9, 2007
    beach
    thanks for the links. i have not put a primer in a dick. i just tried putting the disk in and it seems to get jammed in. I have to pry it back out. It came with a Leupold Scope. so for $75 bucks I still feel good. I will look into the conversions if they will help.
    The gun looks like it was only shot a couple times. It looks brand new.

Kimber45

Jan 14, 2011
    Whiteford
    If you put the disc in backwards the bolt won't close properly. The holes in the disc should face the but end of the gun. I have no idea why you would want to put a primer in a dick. lol

mr phil

Ultimate Member
    Dec 9, 2007
    beach
    Well there's the problem. I was putting the dick in backwards. I mean DISK. Now it just pops right out.
    Thank you gentlemen.

Kimber45

Jan 14, 2011
    Whiteford
    Great, they are nice guns. I killed many a deer with mine, including head shots out to 80 yards. Mine likes 2 pyrodex pellets and Barnes red hot sabots 1 1/2 groups @ 100yrds. I don't know if they still make them. I tried powerbelts and 3 pellets could only get 3" to 4" groups at 100 yrds with them. Good luck with it.

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana

Do you ever say anything nice or positive about someones else's firearms ??
    You would think that the pieces of shit that you own you would keep your arrogant narcissistic view point to yourself.

mr phil

Ultimate Member
    Dec 9, 2007
    beach
    Great, they are nice guns. I killed many a deer with mine, including head shots out to 80 yards. Mine likes 2 pyrodex pellets and Barnes red hot sabots 1 1/2 groups @ 100yrds. I don't know if they still make them. I tried powerbelts and 3 pellets could only get 3" to 4" groups at 100 yrds with them. Good luck with it.

Well this will be easier to insert the disk as well as remove compared to my .45 cal cvs . Its always been a pain to get the primer in on . The money I paid for the Knight was well worth it for the Leupold scope. Plus I have always heard good things about Knight and I wanted a .50 And it's like I said like new in box. The guy I bought it from bought it from a guy who could not use it for what ever reason and this guy said it was just taking up room in his safe and that he would never use it.
    I rescued it.:D

mr phil

Ultimate Member
    Dec 9, 2007
    beach
    I guess I should only own the same guns that you own...

Hey man . No sweat here. I like to hear any input from anyone here. In reference to this rifle Once I stopped putting the disk in backwards it pops right out when I open the bolt which as I said will be a hell of a lot easier than what I've been shooting. It all relative. :)

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Hey man . No sweat here. I like to hear any input from anyone here. In reference to this rifle Once I stopped putting the disk in backwards it pops right out when I open the bolt which as I said will be a hell of a lot easier than what I've been shooting. It all relative. :)

:thumbsup: No harm No foul here. I know several guys who have owned these guns and didn't own them long. Which brings us around to the mention of the 209 conversion in ProStreet Camero's #3 ( 3. If you dont want to use plastic jackets at all then you can add this breach plug. http://www.knightrifles.com/bare-209...onversion-kit/ ) which is a worthwhile investment for this gun, and also the fact remains that this conversion was not an option back when my buddies had these guns.

While preventing the need of the disk it also defeats the purpose of owning a disk dependent rifle. Therefore, it goes back to my original argument of, "Those disks were a complete pain in the ass and the extra expense of buying them was/is a scam" and "the DISC guns are quite wasteful" and "why you chose the DISC rifles over other easier to load guns"

In the end what that conversion kit does is makes the disc rifle in to a standard breech plug rifle like any other inline rifle design. It's like buying a $500.00 gun and then buying a $50.00 kit to turn it in to any other $300.00 gun.

Not a grand plan to buy a gun and then have to pay extra to turn it in to something you could have bought one for less to start with. I don't how else how to explain it...

I guess it's the same principle as buying a car with a V8 engine and then paying more to buy a V6 conversion kit when you should have just bought the V6 to start with for less money.

mr phil

Ultimate Member
    Dec 9, 2007
    beach
    No I get it. I have just been meaning to get a .50 cal and he had this one for $75.00 With a Leupold Scope on it all brand new. I may change to no disk one day. He gave me everything he had with it as well. Like at least 150 disks. That should last me a while .
    Or I should get the modification while I still can. Still $75.00 bucks :thumbsup:

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    No I get it. I have just been meaning to get a .50 cal and he had this one for $75.00 With a Leupold Scope on it all brand new. I may change to no disk one day. He gave me everything he had with it as well. Like at least 150 disks. That should last me a while .
    Or I should get the modification while I still can. Still $75.00 bucks :thumbsup:

You got a good deal for BP rifle and accessories - :thumbsup:

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head

Well, you have to look at this from my experience with my old Knight Wolverine I had and my CVA HunterBolt that I still have now. Both guns are #11 cap guns. The conversion kits came out and were gone almost as fast as the next year changed from this model to a newer model, which makes the conversion kits eventually obsolete.

I could not get the conversion kit for the Knight when I finally decided, "Hey, I want it" and the same applies with my CVA HunterBolt I have now. I can not find the 209 conversion for either gun to this day. I ended up buying a new breech plug and nipple for the HunterBolt since I still hunt with that gun.

The Important Point:
    Both guns are dead on accurate and the guy who bought my Knight is still hunting with it with the #11 cap 15 years later, but, any upgrades that are beneficial should purchased while you can actually still get them. If you plan to keep the DISC then, in my opinion, you'd be better to get that conversion kit now because one, two, or both is going to happen. Either the disks won't be found to buy, or the conversion kit will be obsolete. Both are inevitable. At least in the future if you choose to sell the gun you have the resale advantage of having it already converted so the next owner is not in the bind of not being able to find what is required to shoot the gun, therefore, you are not stuck with a gun you can't sell because no one can shoot it. I hope all this makes sense to you. I'm tired. LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom