• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    This was orignally posted in the Water Cooler where I asked what forum to place this. IT was suggested to place here- so here goes. This rifle is an old rifle my that belonged to my great grandfather. I do not know much about it at all, save that it was always on the mantle above the fireplace. It belongs to my father. Evidently, it is his pride and joy since it was his grandfather's. Supposedly, a long time ago my younger brother who passed away last year must have sort of bent and twisted the barrel slightly. I do not know what this rifle is. Unfortunately, a lot of the engraving is rubbed off due to right hands over the years. I have a few pics from my iPhone and my T3i. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I took it from my parent's house because I would like to get the barrel trued- not for shooting, just to fix it for my father. I can then work with him if he wants to clean it up and use some Howard's Feed-n-Wax in the stock. Do not want restoration. Like many others, I think the way it looks gives it character and history. I just want ot clean it up some. Thanks so much guys. I live in Germantown and do not know where to take this to get trued.
    Attached Images

Attachments

• IMG_0965.jpg
      IMG_0965.jpg
      62.9 KB · Views: 402
    • IMG_0967.jpg
      IMG_0967.jpg
      61.4 KB · Views: 398
    • IMG_0971.jpg
      IMG_0971.jpg
      71.9 KB · Views: 403
    • IMG_2587.jpg
      IMG_2587.jpg
      84.5 KB · Views: 399
    • IMG_2588.jpg
      IMG_2588.jpg
      108.4 KB · Views: 405
    • IMG_2589.jpg
      IMG_2589.jpg
      102.5 KB · Views: 401
    • IMG_2593.jpg
      IMG_2593.jpg
      49.6 KB · Views: 394
    • IMG_2595.jpg
      IMG_2595.jpg
      85.2 KB · Views: 402

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Looks like a Remington Rolling Block that's missing the rear sight. I can't tell what caliber it's in though. They were made in many contracts to different countries and in several different calibers. Yours looks like it's in a military configuration so it could be in 50-70, .43 Spanish, 11 or 12mm-something for the Swedes/Danish, or some other caliber I'm forgetting off the top of my head

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    awesome. Yeah there are two holes where the rear sight looks to have been. Unfortunately, my pics are not that great. Hopefully, someone who takes a look to fix the barrel can shed some light on it. I will also ask my Pop but he does not know I took it. My mom let me take it to get fixed for him. :)

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Check along the rear or top of the barrel to see if it gives you an indication of what caliber it's in. It should say somewhere I believe, but unfortunately I'm not well versed in Rolling Blocks. I'll also add that you might even be able to find an entirely new barrel for it depending on what it shoots. Rolling Blocks seem to be relatively common, so it might just be worth buying another rifle if you wanted one to shoot, and keep hanging that one on the wall

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    5.56, yeah. That is what I want and he wants. He does fret over the barrel being slightly twisted/bent. Milsurp, I will look more. Hopefully, my father will let me know more about it. He has a lot of older lever actions and .222 and 30-30 from a long time ago. He is 84 but acts in early 60's. I never shot this rifle but have the others when I was growing up. This was verboten.. Even if nothing special price-wise. His grandfather meant a lot to him..

Damn you guys are awesome. Much appreciated.

PGTMG

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2010
    Looks like a Remington Rolling Block that's missing the rear sight. I can't tell what caliber it's in though. They were made in many contracts to different countries and in several different calibers. Yours looks like it's in a military configuration so it could be in 50-70, .43 Spanish, 11 or 12mm-something for the Swedes/Danish, or some other caliber I'm forgetting off the top of my head

It is a Remington Rolling block. Another caliber is 7mm mauser (South America) and 8mm Lebel. I can recommend a gunsmith who could possibly help you. PM and I will give you his name and number.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom