• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • soulpatch

Jan 18, 2024
    Worton, Md
    Checking in from PA. Joined this forum as my parents have fully retired in Maryland and I go down to shoot with him at his local range. Here as Maryland has way different laws and restrictions than even PA so trying to make sure I stay on right side of law. Have a blast hitting the range with my dad and as my daughter gets up to speed, having her there for range time with pop pop will be lasting memories that are irreplaceable.

Been spending hours reading up on the laws and still in a fog but without the first hand experience and time at local dealers to answer questions I amd a bit behind curve.

Case in point I have questions out to the range club legal arm as to whether my AR10 chambered in 308 and 6.5 Creedmoor are legal or not. I read it as that they are but the fact that the grey area is that they look like banned AR15 is concerning to me. Sure different caliber and such but we all know if stopped by wrong person who doesn't know any better..

And for my AR15 I would just need to swap to an HBAR to be legal if I read right so different barrel and would be good. Would also need to switch to adjustable gas system to swap back and forth I believe.

Either way newer to forum and looking forward to picking your brains on items to keep me legal when venturing down.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Checking in from PA. Joined this forum as my parents have fully retired in Maryland and I go down to shoot with him at his local range. Here as Maryland has way different laws and restrictions than even PA so trying to make sure I stay on right side of law. Have a blast hitting the range with my dad and as my daughter gets up to speed, having her there for range time with pop pop will be lasting memories that are irreplaceable.

Been spending hours reading up on the laws and still in a fog but without the first hand experience and time at local dealers to answer questions I amd a bit behind curve.

Case in point I have questions out to the range club legal arm as to whether my AR10 chambered in 308 and 6.5 Creedmoor are legal or not. I read it as that they are but the fact that the grey area is that they look like banned AR15 is concerning to me. Sure different caliber and such but we all know if stopped by wrong person who doesn't know any better..

And for my AR15 I would just need to swap to an HBAR to be legal if I read right so different barrel and would be good. Would also need to switch to adjustable gas system to swap back and forth I believe.

Either way newer to forum and looking forward to picking your brains on items to keep me legal when venturing down.

AR10’s are perfectly legal, regardless of caliber.
    AR15’s in .223/5.56 need to have a heavy barrel. There is no legal definition for that. MSP says stamped or advertised as such.
    The reality is that nobody is going around to ranges checking.
    You don’t need to have an adjustable gas block.
    Personally I would just switch uppers instead of barrels, much faster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

soulpatch

Jan 18, 2024
    Worton, Md
    AR15’s need to have a heavy barrel. There is no legal definition for that. MSP says stamped or advertised as such.

Thanks.

I've been leaning 308 anyway as the club has a decent range and could take to my buddies long distance ranges in Spring as well. Good to know it is all good.

AR15’s in .223/5.56mm need to have a heavy barrel. There is no legal definition for that. MSP says stamped or advertised as such.

Fixed it for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom