• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Starbuck

Mar 6, 2013
    Sykesville, MD
    Hi-Cap Mag's are legal to own but not legal to buy, transfer etc. If I were to use a firearm with a hi-cap mag in self-defense, am I automatically a criminal?

Robert1955

Ultimate Member
    Dec 25, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    The STANDARD 15, 17, 20, or 30 round magazines are NOT "High Capacity" they are STANDARD Capacity. A 33 round extended for the Glocks, or the 50, or 100 round drums for AR-types are, yes?

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Hi-Cap Mag's are legal to own but not legal to buy, transfer etc. If I were to use a firearm with a hi-cap mag in self-defense, am I automatically a criminal?

No but under the new bill, using a hi-cap in a crime is an additional charge with a mandatory minimum sentence.

No but under the new bill, using a hi-cap in a crime is an additional charge with a mandatory minimum sentence.

I'm sure glad law makers were thinking with there brains when they made that one up. How many people have you heard of that use hi cap mags and don't end up killing there self? It's just a law to make the average person who owns them a criminal. People who shoot up schools and such don't want to be taken alive I don't know why people can't understand that.

Kilroy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2011
    Only 3% of shootings result in more than 10 shots fired, and criminals don't know how to reload. Yeah, this bill will greatly reduce crime.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Completely legal to defend yourself using standard magazines. If more than one armed intruder showed up armed in my house, more than 10 rounds would likely be necessary to stop them.

But, if you had to defend yourself in a civil suit it complicates things a little. You know the prosecutor would have a field day parading around "military magazines" and an evil-looking rifle and arguing that you used excessive force. This argument would fall flat in a criminal suit but a civil suit isn't as much about proving the need for deadly force as it is the jury's perception.

aspade

Sep 27, 2008

This is one of the scariest pieces of SB 281 and I haven't seen anybody talking about it.

We all know how hostile Maryland is to self defense rights. If there is the slightest question about the circumstance, or maybe even if there isn't, you are going to be arrested and charged. It may not hold up. They will try.

Consider a borderline marginal shoot, or even a no shots fired incident, that gets plead down or convicted at trial to misdemeanor 2nd degree assault. For a first offense with a clean record that would likely mean some combination of probation, PBJ, suspended sentence, fines, possibly some jail but not likely. Not the end of the world by any means.

If you were using a grandfathered weapon or magazine that becomes a non-negotiable 5 year prison sentence.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    This is one of the scariest pieces of SB 281 and I haven't seen anybody talking about it.

We all know how hostile Maryland is to self defense rights. If there is the slightest question about the circumstance, or maybe even if there isn't, you are going to be arrested and charged. It may not hold up. They will try.

Consider a borderline marginal shoot, or even a no shots fired incident, that gets plead down or convicted at trial to misdemeanor 2nd degree assault. For a first offense with a clean record that would likely mean some combination of probation, PBJ, suspended sentence, fines, possibly some jail but not likely. Not the end of the world by any means.

If you were using a grandfathered weapon or magazine that becomes a non-negotiable 5 year prison sentence.

This is my worst fear. A regular Joe gets caught up in this thing. Unintended consequences and all that.

circadia

Jan 19, 2013
    Arbutus
    Only 3% of shootings result in more than 10 shots fired, and criminals don't know how to reload. Yeah, this bill will greatly reduce crime.

Can you tell me where you found that statistic? I've been looking everywhere for information about that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom