• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drott

Apr 18, 2007
    Ok, so here's my understanding: magazines above 20 rounds cannot be sold in the state of maryland. Dealers cannot sell or give them to private individuals and private individuals cannot sell or give them to each other. BUT, a private individual can possess, own and use high cap mags/drums etc openly in the state of maryland. Do I have this right???

Also, what's the easiest and most straightforward way for a private joe in maryland to legally get high cap mags? I'm assuming I have to travel out of state to PA or VA to get em somewhere?? Any suggestions?? Looking for a minimal fuss way of getting a wide variety of the good stuff (i.e. glock, AK, AR, HK G3 mags etc). :gun7:

Simon Yu

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2007
    Rockville
    Ok, so here's my understanding: magazines above 20 rounds cannot be sold in the state of maryland. Dealers cannot sell or give them to private individuals and private individuals cannot sell or give them to each other. BUT, a private individual can possess, own and use high cap mags/drums etc openly in the state of maryland. Do I have this right???

Also, what's the easiest and most straightforward way for a private joe in maryland to legally get high cap mags? I'm assuming I have to travel out of state to PA or VA to get em somewhere?? Any suggestions?? Looking for a minimal fuss way of getting a wide variety of the good stuff (i.e. glock, AK, AR, HK G3 mags etc). :gun7:

You pretty much have it right from what I understand. I've been in gun stores in MD when employees have advised people looking for AR related stuff to head down to Virginia for the mags.

Redneck

Ultimate Member
    Jan 29, 2007
    Sparrows Point
    My grandmother lives in PA, I pay with my card and get them shipped to her. All I do is pick them up when I go up there. Or like Slayer said go to DE.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    VA Arms in Manassas has a quite a selection at fair prices.

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    Transfer...

You can not "Transfer" hi cap mags either. So make sure you take ownership outside the state and bring them back in yourself. I have family in VA so I ship to them and go pick up there. They can not bring them into MD and transfer them to me.

"...the sale, transfer or receipt of any over 20 shot firearm magazine is prohibited."

As worded, I believe the law states that you can not "loan" a hi-cap to someone at the range or let your brother/sister, father/mother, aunt/uncle use your mags. Both sides of the transfer can be charged! The chances of getting caught are very slim, but with my luck...

-Boxcab

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    You can not "Transfer" hi cap mags either. So make sure you take ownership outside the state and bring them back in yourself. I have family in VA so I ship to them and go pick up there. They can not bring them into MD and transfer them to me.

"...the sale, transfer or receipt of any over 20 shot firearm magazine is prohibited."

As worded, I believe the law states that you can not "loan" a hi-cap to someone at the range or let your brother/sister, father/mother, aunt/uncle use your mags. Both sides of the transfer can be charged! The chances of getting caught are very slim, but with my luck...

-Boxcab
    Not so sure about that. After the Maryland Court of Appeals ruled last year that loaning a handgun is not a "transfer" under Maryland law, I assume it is the same with the high capacity mags.

Held: Reversed. The Court of Appeals found that the temporary gratuitous exchange or loan of a regulated handgun between two adult individuals, who are otherwise permitted to own and obtain a regulated handgun, does not constitute an illegal “transfer” of a firearm in violation of § 442(d). The plain language of § 442(d), when construed in harmony with the rest of the subheading, reveals that “transfer” can only refer to a permanent exchange of title or possession and does not include gratuitous temporary exchanges.
    http://www.courts.state.md.us/publications/amicus/amicus8_06.html

2SAM22

Moderator Emeritus
    Apr 4, 2007
    Harrisburg, PA has a very nice gun show (today and tomorrow) and the Dulles show is almost as good.

Boxcab

MSI EM
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 22, 2007
    AA County
    I hope so...

Not so sure about that. After the Maryland Court of Appeals ruled last year that loaning a handgun is not a "transfer" under Maryland law, I assume it is the same with the high capacity mags.

Hey, Novus C. I like your inputs around the forum. If I ever get into trouble, can I call you for help! :D

I'd like to have someone in my corner that knows and understands the MD laws as well as you do.

-Boxcab

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Hey, Novus C. I like your inputs around the forum. If I ever get into trouble, can I call you for help! :D

I'd like to have someone in my corner that knows and understands the MD laws as well as you do.

-Boxcab

I am no expert, but my Google Fu is strong. :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom