• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 335xi

Jan 25, 2013
    I will be out in arizona for a couple weeks and plan to buy some high cap mags and maybe even some 100 round AR drums. What are the rules with bringing these back into Maryland? Am I allow to check it in my luggage?

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    As for possession of the mags in MD, you're good to go. You just cannot transfer or sell them to anyone else in state.

Flying with them? I don't know the regulations for that.

fleaman64

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2011
    I will be out in arizona for a couple weeks and plan to buy some high cap mags and maybe even some 100 round AR drums. What are the rules with bringing these back into Maryland? Am I allow to check it in my luggage?

High capacity is anything over 30 rounds. I know of no rules/federal or state law that disallows what you are trying to do. Expect TSA to root through your luggage.

pwoolford

AR15's make me :-)
    Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh
    High capacity is anything over 30 rounds. I know of no rules/federal or state law that disallows what you are trying to do. Expect TSA to root through your luggage.

I'd expect a prostate exam from TSA if traveling with AR drums! Might be worth sending them Fedex or UPS to yourself.

dspurlock

Mar 31, 2013
    Even if I have them in a checked bag?

Directly taken from the TSA website

"Firearms, ammunition and firearm parts may only be transported in checked baggage. Firearms, ammunition and firearm parts are prohibited from carry-on baggage."

Check the bag and you should be gtg

335xi

Jan 25, 2013

"Firearms, ammunition and firearm parts may only be transported in checked baggage. Firearms, ammunition and firearm parts are prohibited from carry-on baggage."

Thank you!!

fleaman64

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2011

Yes, I believe this is the case. If you have a firearm, you have to declare it at baggage check in, it must be in its own locked case, you must demonstrate it's not loaded and then take the perp walk to TSA so they can inspect the check bag you intend to put it in.

AFAIK, you don't have to declare magazines or pack them in a locked case.

Tomcat

Formerly Known As HITWTOM
    May 7, 2012
    St.Mary's County
    Yes, I believe this is the case. If you have a firearm, you have to declare it at baggage check in, it must be in its own locked case, you must demonstrate it's not loaded and then take the perp walk to TSA so they can inspect the check bag you intend to put it in.

AFAIK, you don't have to declare magazines or pack them in a locked case.

This ^ I've read somewhere if you declare a firearm you go to front of the line for inspection, but I'd get there a little earlier just in case. Might be worth just declaring the magazines to get to the head of the line.

niftyvt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 21, 2010
    Virginia
    This ^ I've read somewhere if you declare a firearm you go to front of the line for inspection, but I'd get there a little earlier just in case. Might be worth just declaring the magazines to get to the head of the line.

Not true. . . at least its never happened to me. Yes, get there early because they might inspect your bag but that’s a must for me anyways even if I am not flying with a firearm.

+1 - Good choice just to be safe, might cost you $15 in shipping, not worth the hassle of bringing them on plane

No hassle at all, just throw them in your checked bag and be on your way. No need to declare them.

I have flow many, many times with firearms. Its not a hassle, the rules are clear on the TSA website and on the carriers website. Read and follow and your good to go. I have never declared any of my accessories. And I am not talking about 1 or two mags I am talking about a large suit case loaded with gear, mags, holsters, range bag, ammo etc for a 4 day rifle class (note: I mailed, UPS, the mass of ammo out and brought what little I had left back via the plane). Yes they did pick through my 'accessories' bag and I stood there and watched with amazement as the TSA agent actually got everything to fit back in the suit case! :lol2:

Cool... I'm taking a rifle on all future business trips :lol:

It might not get you to the front of the line but a firearm/starter pistol/flair gun does let you lock your bags/cases up with non TSA locks and you have to be there for them to look through it/open it. So if you dont like nosey TSA agents or just want additional security, get a cheapo and pack it with you. Its a great way to secure expensive camera gear or other belongings. But, if your like me and don’t mind the TSA cutting your locks off then you could just lock your bags anyways. :)

Peartree

May 25, 2013
    Mt Airy
    Make sure you count everything...lots of reports of TSA rooting through bags and pocketing items. However, from what I've experienced, they probably wouldn't recognize anything anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom