• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    … and to think- our ancestors caught fish with sticks and vines …
    Most eastern rivers, Potomac and Shenandoah included, are littered with Indian fish traps. Many of which were later constructed by African slaves. The fish were driven down stream to the rock walled traps by drivers where others caught the fish in baskets as they fled through the only gap in the wall. They are today, great places that hold fish because of their bait-holding structure.

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    I am old school and salt water....because that's what I like. The reel in my picture is a Zebco Cardinal 7 made by Abu in Sweden. I have two of those and a Cardinal 7 X which is a high speed version. Penn 704 Greenies and Mitchell 302 saltwaters. I use newer rods Penn and Okuma mostly. All that said I shoot mostly side by side shotguns many with outside hammers and the evid damascus barrels. Do I shoot or fish better? Nod idea but I have fun, am comfortable with my gear and I have cool shit....
    Sounds familiar. I use St. Croix rods exclusively. Every reel I fish, though, is a Z-series Penn.

Never got used to the bailless 706s, so switched to 704s for the surf. Others are a mix of 710s and 712s, with a lone 716.

Looks weird with 70s vintage reels on St. Croix rods, but those Zs are tough. My most recent was purchased about 10 years ago, most have been here twice or 3x as long. Clean and lube annually. Bailspring here and there.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    I’ve been fishing my entire life, from working offshore charters to shark fishing tournaments, jigging tuna, WMO, and recently to bass fishing local waters. If you’ve got the $ and want the best then you can get a small advantage from the best of the best, but the law of diminishing values hits pretty quick when it comes to freshwater/inshore size stuff. Rods over 300$ and reels over 200$ “feel” better but aren’t making you a more effective fisherman. Offshore type stuff that expensive just lasts longer and requires less maintenance. I really like Diawa’s line of bass fishing gear and just about all decent manufacturers of rods make specific actions that are pretty awesome for between 150-300$.

Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    I’ve been fishing my entire life, from working offshore charters to shark fishing tournaments, jigging tuna, WMO, and recently to bass fishing local waters. If you’ve got the $ and want the best then you can get a small advantage from the best of the best, but the law of diminishing values hits pretty quick when it comes to freshwater/inshore size stuff. Rods over 300$ and reels over 200$ “feel” better but aren’t making you a more effective fisherman. Offshore type stuff that expensive just lasts longer and requires less maintenance. I really like Diawa’s line of bass fishing gear and just about all decent manufacturers of rods make specific actions that are pretty awesome for between 150-300$.
    For me when it comes to rods I want something that is light and has a grip that feels good in the hand. You would be surprised how much of a difference just a few ounces makes after a long day of fishing. Or maybe part of it is I am just getting older. But I do better with the light stuff. Reels have gotten much lighter also. It is hard to explain what a buttery smooth reel feels like but I can tell a noticeable difference between the higher end and middle of the road reels. I don't think any company makes a reel that will last a lifetime. At least not one that I know about. Besides after about 5 years the reels have better features. I have been an avid fisherman for 50+ years.

pleasant1911

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    I’m willing to give a new company a try but power pro braid has probably been my go for 10 years. Tried spider wire once and it was GARBAGE but I’m sure things have changed
    I like pro braids, but only for surf fishing. I get it at bass pro and they spool it for free. Probably only reason I get pro braids at BP

pleasant1911

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    For me when it comes to rods I want something that is light and has a grip that feels good in the hand. You would be surprised how much of a difference just a few ounces makes after a long day of fishing. Or maybe part of it is I am just getting older. But I do better with the light stuff. Reels have gotten much lighter also. It is hard to explain what a buttery smooth reel feels like but I can tell a noticeable difference between the higher end and middle of the road reels. I don't think any company makes a reel that will last a lifetime. At least not one that I know about. Besides after about 5 years the reels have better features. I have been an avid fisherman for 50+ years.
    Totally agree with lighter gear.

Personally, I don’t care about lasting a lifetime. If I can get 6years of good use out of it, I m good. But I also like buying stuff. Lol.

Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    Totally agree with lighter gear.

Personally, I don’t care about lasting a lifetime. If I can get 6years of good use out of it, I m good. But I also like buying stuff. Lol.
    6 years seems to be about what most of my reels last. My rods last forever. I just end up wanting new technology like the lighter stuff out nowadays.

Cochise

Ultimate Member
    Sep 5, 2008
    Rockville
    I am fishing 50 year old reels in saltwater. Just start with quality and take care of your stuff. I do it cause I like to, not because I need to....

Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    I am fishing 50 year old reels in saltwater. Just start with quality and take care of your stuff. I do it cause I like to, not because I need to....
    I agree with you about some of the older salt water reels like the Mitchell's and Penn's. I grew up with them and still see them every once in a while. But I think the technology is so much better now. So much lighter and smoother. Just my observation.

Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    Sportsmans guide has a sale going on st croix legend tournement bass casting rods. https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/st-croix-legend-tournament-bass-casting-rods?a=2277555....

At that price I don't know if you could do any better.
    That is a pretty good deal but you have to be a buyers club member to get it. Membership isn't free. Not sure what the cost is. That said, if you are a member it is a pretty good deal. For me personally, I expect 25% or more to consider anything a deal. I have gotten most of my rods and reels at much bigger discounts. You just have to be patient.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom