• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    First I did a long hike from the Manor area trailhead up to Cat Rock. Did not see many people on Thursday besides some guys from PATC working on the trail. It was 4 miles up to Cat Rock and I did a rock scramble to the top. Sunday I did a short hike from a parking lot on Rt 77. It took about an hour and that was just enough for the wife to handle. The funny thing is, I remember hiking up to Cat Rock and getting to an overlook where you could see a good 10 to 15 miles looking into a valley. It was a beautiful view. That was back in the '90s, but I could not find that spot on my recent hikes.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    It is infuriating stupid that carry is prohibited in Maryland State Parks. One place I would definitely carry is in an isolated place back in the woods at Cunningham.

WWJMD?

Catoctin Park is Federal, though. I would assume carry is legal there...?

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Last edited:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    It is infuriating stupid that carry is prohibited in Maryland State Parks. One place I would definitely carry is in an isolated place back in the woods at Cunningham.

WWJMD?

Catoctin Park is Federal, though. I would assume carry is legal there...?
    Carry in Federal parks is legal except for inside the buildings. They'll have signs.

As far as the Big Hunting Creek area goes, half is state, the other half is federal.

Cat Rock falls somewhere within, though I'm not sure, me thinks it's state controlled.

That would not stop some folks I know(intimately).

JKrew

Jul 2, 2008
    First I did a long hike from the Manor area trailhead up to Cat Rock. Did not see many people on Thursday besides some guys from PATC working on the trail. It was 4 miles up to Cat Rock and I did a rock scramble to the top. Sunday I did a short hike from a parking lot on Rt 77. It took about an hour and that was just enough for the wife to handle. The funny thing is, I remember hiking up to Cat Rock and getting to an overlook where you could see a good 10 to 15 miles looking into a valley. It was a beautiful view. That was back in the '90s, but I could not find that spot on my recent hikes.
    For the overlook you mention, did you stop at the Bob's Hill overlook on the way? Based on your path it would have been at around 1.75 miles in on the way to Cat Rock and a short trail off to the left would take you to the overlook. That's one of my favorite places to go around here, I take my dog there every few weeks.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Here's an example of what can happen back in the woods...

(where no one can hear you scream.)

Micktaco

May 2, 2009
    Walkersville
    Ran into a bear last week in Frederick watershed while hiking. The bear stayed just outside it's hibernating den and just watched me. That's relatively close to Cunningham btw.

54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    For the overlook you mention, did you stop at the Bob's Hill overlook on the way? Based on your path it would have been at around 1.75 miles in on the way to Cat Rock and a short trail off to the left would take you to the overlook. That's one of my favorite places to go around here, I take my dog there every few weeks.
    I did make it to Bob's Hill. But I think the overlook mentioned is somewhere around Cat Rock.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Ran into a bear last week in Frederick watershed while hiking. The bear stayed just outside it's hibernating den and just watched me. That's relatively close to Cunningham btw.
    There's two that inhabit the area around one of my jobs. Been very close to one of them several times. Pretty cool. The other is a very large boar and, to my knowledge, has never been close to any of us. See him infrequently.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Use to hunt that whole area. Ole Misery is a nice hike to the top. The overlook you missed, do you remember which cardinal direction you were facing? I know of one, but it faces North toward Rt 77 and the creek. Pretty area. Pretty sure there are bear in there. Snakes too. Never felt unsafe though, kinda far in for the nerdowells .

54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    Cunningham Falls is the MD State Park, Catoctin is a National Park, and Camp David is just north of Catoctin.
    Use to hunt that whole area. Ole Misery is a nice hike to the top. The overlook you missed, do you remember which cardinal direction you were facing? I know of one, but it faces North toward Rt 77 and the creek. Pretty area. Pretty sure there are bear in there. Snakes too. Never felt unsafe though, kinda far in for the nerdowells .
    Not to sure. I thought it was right around Cat Rock.

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Here's an example of what can happen back in the woods...

(where no one can hear you scream.)

Mr. Ballen recently told the tale of a fellow who committed multiple murders along the Appalachian Trail in Virginia.

Micktaco

May 2, 2009
    Walkersville
    There's two that inhabit the area around one of my jobs. Been very close to one of them several times. Pretty cool. The other is a very large boar and, to my knowledge, has never been close to any of us. See him infrequently.
    Nice! This one's den on the rock outcropping had what looked to be an orange game camera with a tall antenna near it, so the bear and it' den is known to someone who manages wildlife.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Nice! This one's den on the rock outcropping had what looked to be an orange game camera with a tall antenna near it, so the bear and it' den is known to someone who manages wildlife.
    Yeah that's NRP. Used to be a source of amusement to take NODs and find cameras placed by a state wildlife dept down south and walk by them in various states of costume or undress. Teabagging game.cameras is a recognized redneck sporting event.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom