• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Any relevant law about being armed at a demonstration? Legal definition of a demonstration?

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Any relevant law about being armed at a demonstration? Legal definition of a demonstration?
    Yes. You may not be armed within 1,000ft of a demonstration. Open or concealed carry. Police are required by law to notify you that it is a protest and firearms must be removed. You are probably exempt from that order if you are on property you own. Nothing under the law defines a protest as far as I can find, just that police need to notify you that a protest is underway and thus firearms must be removed (unsure if they have to specifically tell you to remove firearms, or it just requires law enforcement to notify you that it is a protest).

Failure to comply is the same as normal handgun transport violation. This INCLUDES long guns BTW.

So generally carrying at a protest is not a good idea in Maryland (unless or until a court strikes down that portion of the law). It isn't insta-arrest and charges if "caught". But you are one police order away from needing to turn tail and walk about a quarter mile in the opposite direction. And you are one missed hearing a police order away from getting arrested if caught still carrying and letting the DA, judge or jury of your peers determine if you are telling the truth that you didn't hear the police order.

Allium

Senior Keyboard Operator
    Feb 10, 2007
    "Legal definition of a demonstration?
    32,000 BLM Yoots blocking city streets and warming them selves by the flames of the local capitalist stores or
    2 old white guys on thier porch drinking PBR and reminiscing about that Trump guy.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I'm the guy driving the landing craft, trying to find a renewal course in the mine field...
    I tried to arrange a MD class I my shop with a few MD Instructors I know and they all declined because I don't have a private range that the students can use. I have a private range but I can't bring 15 people there to shoot for 4+ hours.

I wanted to see if anyone was interested in a combined class to cover all of these states:

MD
    DC
    UT
    FL
    CT (NRA Basic Pistol)
    RI (Just an extra Range Qual)
    MA (Specific Class Mandated my MA and taught by a MA Instructor)
    NJ (Just an extra Range Qual)

I already have all of that training except the NJ qual. I just gave up.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    "Legal definition of a demonstration?
    32,000 BLM Yoots blocking city streets and warming them selves by the flames of the local capitalist stores or
    2 old white guys on thier porch drinking PBR and reminiscing about that Trump guy.
    Apparently statute does get in to what a demonstration is. Though it is still a bit up to any law enforcement officers. You could use the definition in the law to fight an arrest if an officer is being a giant dingle berry. Probably not going to stick if a reasonable person would consider what is going on a demonstration.

Universal Citation: MD Crim Law Code § 4-208 (2019)
    (a) (1) In this section the following words have the meanings indicated.
    (2) (i) “Demonstration” means one or more persons demonstrating, picketing, speechmaking, marching, holding a vigil, or engaging in any other similar conduct that involves the communication or expression of views or grievances and that has the effect, intent, or propensity to attract a crowd or onlookers.
    (ii) “Demonstration” does not include the casual use of property by visitors or tourists that does not have the intent or propensity to attract a crowd or onlookers.
    (3) (i) “Firearm” means a handgun, rifle, shotgun, short–barreled rifle, short–barreled shotgun, or any other firearm, whether loaded or unloaded.
    (ii) “Firearm” does not include an antique firearm.
    (4) “Handgun” has the meaning stated in § 5–101 of the Public Safety Article.
    (5) “Law enforcement officer” means:
    (i) a member of a police force or other unit of the United States, the State, a county, municipal corporation, or other political subdivision who is responsible for the prevention and detection of crime and the enforcement of the laws of the United States, the State, a county, municipal corporation, or other political subdivision;
    (ii) a park police officer of the Maryland–National Capital Park and Planning Commission;
    (iii) a member of the University System of Maryland Police Force; and
    (iv) any military or militia personnel directed by constituted authority to keep law and order.
    (6) (i) “Public place” means a place to which the general public has access and a right to resort for business, entertainment, or other lawful purpose.
    (ii) “Public place” is not limited to a place devoted solely to the uses of the public.
    (iii) “Public place” includes:
    1. the front or immediate area or parking lot of a store, restaurant, tavern, shopping center, or other place of business;
    2. a public building, including its grounds and curtilage;
    3. a public parking lot;
    4. a public street, sidewalk, or right–of–way;
    5. a public park; and
    6. other public grounds.
    (b) (1) This subsection does not apply to a law enforcement officer.
    (2) A person may not have a firearm in the person’s possession or on or about the person at a demonstration in a public place or in a vehicle that is within 1,000 feet of a demonstration in a public place after:
    (i) the person has been advised by a law enforcement officer that a demonstration is occurring at the public place; and
    (ii) the person has been ordered by the law enforcement officer to leave the area of the demonstration until the person disposes of the firearm.
    (c) A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and on conviction is subject to imprisonment not exceeding 1 year or a fine not exceeding $1,000 or both.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Someone needs to make a "Hitler reacts to the end of Maryland's Good and Substantial infringement" video.

I've been picturing Frosh reacting much like Hitler in that Downfall scene: first ranting in defiance, then collapsing in defeat.

His pathetic inability to make a public statement, or even issue an opinion in his own name, reminds me of Hillary's inability to concede defeat in 2016. Both Frosh and Hillary apparently silken in isolation. (They say Hillary got shit-face drunk.)
    Be careful what you ask for here::innocent0:innocent0:innocent0

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Apparently statute does get in to what a demonstration is. Though it is still a bit up to any law enforcement officers. You could use the definition in the law to fight an arrest if an officer is being a giant dingle berry. Probably not going to stick if a reasonable person would consider what is going on a demonstration.

Universal Citation: MD Crim Law Code § 4-208 (2019)
    (a) (1) In this section the following words have the meanings indicated.
    (2) (i) “Demonstration” means one or more persons demonstrating, picketing, speechmaking, marching, holding a vigil, or engaging in any other similar conduct that involves the communication or expression of views or grievances and that has the effect, intent, or propensity to attract a crowd or onlookers.
    (ii) “Demonstration” does not include the casual use of property by visitors or tourists that does not have the intent or propensity to attract a crowd or onlookers.
    (3) (i) “Firearm” means a handgun, rifle, shotgun, short–barreled rifle, short–barreled shotgun, or any other firearm, whether loaded or unloaded.
    (ii) “Firearm” does not include an antique firearm.
    (4) “Handgun” has the meaning stated in § 5–101 of the Public Safety Article.
    (5) “Law enforcement officer” means:
    (i) a member of a police force or other unit of the United States, the State, a county, municipal corporation, or other political subdivision who is responsible for the prevention and detection of crime and the enforcement of the laws of the United States, the State, a county, municipal corporation, or other political subdivision;
    (ii) a park police officer of the Maryland–National Capital Park and Planning Commission;
    (iii) a member of the University System of Maryland Police Force; and
    (iv) any military or militia personnel directed by constituted authority to keep law and order.
    (6) (i) “Public place” means a place to which the general public has access and a right to resort for business, entertainment, or other lawful purpose.
    (ii) “Public place” is not limited to a place devoted solely to the uses of the public.
    (iii) “Public place” includes:
    1. the front or immediate area or parking lot of a store, restaurant, tavern, shopping center, or other place of business;
    2. a public building, including its grounds and curtilage;
    3. a public parking lot;
    4. a public street, sidewalk, or right–of–way;
    5. a public park; and
    6. other public grounds.
    (b) (1) This subsection does not apply to a law enforcement officer.
    (2) A person may not have a firearm in the person’s possession or on or about the person at a demonstration in a public place or in a vehicle that is within 1,000 feet of a demonstration in a public place after:
    (i) the person has been advised by a law enforcement officer that a demonstration is occurring at the public place; and
    (ii) the person has been ordered by the law enforcement officer to leave the area of the demonstration until the person disposes of the firearm.
    (c) A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and on conviction is subject to imprisonment not exceeding 1 year or a fine not exceeding $1,000 or both.
    So at a demonstration the police have to both advise a demonstration AND order the person to leave and dispose of the firearm which means other types of weapons can still be carried.

Scroll down to section (b) (2) (i) & (ii), my emphasis added.

CraZ4GunZ

Dec 12, 2008
    HoCo
    3fb9b0956f18c4f7734e57e487833141.jpg
    :lol:

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    So at a demonstration the police have to both advise a demonstration AND order the person to leave and dispose of the firearm which means other types of weapons can still be carried.

Scroll down to section (b) (2) (i) & (ii), my emphasis added.
    And antiques are exempt. Lots of revolvers, lever actions, and bolt actions to choose from made before 1899, plus any non fixed ammo gun, including muzzleloading cannon. A 24 lb-er would be nice, and not illegal under that law.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    And antiques are exempt. Lots of revolvers, lever actions, and bolt actions to choose from made before 1899, plus any non fixed ammo gun, including muzzleloading cannon. A 24 lb-er would be nice, and not illegal under that law.
    The carry part gets a little problematic with that. I was thinking Throwing Stars.

Last edited:

cobra

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2009
    White Marsh
    OMG that video made my day and cost me another key board great job
    Sent it to all my 2 A friends
    Luv them Hitler memes

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads