• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    This is another sticky one. The PSG1 is similar to a HK91 which is banned by name. Like the M1A (banned) vs Polytech M14 (ok) there is not 100% parts interchangeability (and that only took a metric vs SAE thread difference.) But exactly what has to be interchangeable?

1) The foreend = incompatible. A PSG1 foreend will not attach to a HK 91 type rifle or visa versa.
    2) Bolt head = somewhat incompatible. A PSG1 bolt/carrier will not work in a HK91. The extractor is much larger and requires the barrel to be notched to clear it. However, A HK91 complete bolt/carrier will work in a PSG1.
    3) Iron sights = incompatible. PSG1 has no front or rear iron sights or even a place to put them therefore the HK91 version will not fit.
    4) Forward assist = incompatible. The PSG1 has a forward assist that goes into a housing welded on the right side of the receiver. Those parts will not fit on a HK91 (you would have to weld the forward assist housing on.)

Sounds like enough differences to be MD legal? They are definitely not 100% parts compatible. Does any one of these make it MD legal (for example: many PSG1 clones skip the rare & expensive bolt/carrier and use a generic hk91 set.)

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Thats what I thought. Good news/bad news. Good news is its legal. Bad news is it requires a ~$1500 bolt group so will have to be a fully authentic clone.

Feb 28, 2013
    That would be due to the fact that law makers in Maryland are F@*king stupid.

True, but I would add....

not a marylander, why is hk91 banned but ar-10 etc not? perhaps just looks "eviler?"

The HK-91 is a semi-auto replica of a full auto battle rifle that was actually issued by a country's military. As far as I know, no military anywhere adopted the AR-10, so the semi-auto version is harmless by comparison.:rolleyes:

When the stupid mother ****ers in Annapolis came up with the "evil" list, they blithely assumed in their everlastin' arrogance that their brainchild was all-encompassin'.

Thankfully, we know better. So screw you, Annapolis. :moon:

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    why is hk91 banned but ar-10 etc not? perhaps just looks "eviler?"

No one here is qualified to answer this question accurately. Therefore, you have two options: 1) ask the Maryland legislatures who write these laws; or 2) ask any two year-old with plump, warm Pampers. The answers will be identical (as are the creative thought processes used to dream them up).

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    True, but I would add....

The HK-91 is a semi-auto replica of a full auto battle rifle that was actually issued by a country's military. As far as I know, no military anywhere adopted the AR-10, so the semi-auto version is harmless by comparison.:rolleyes:

When the stupid mother ****ers in Annapolis came up with the "evil" list, they blithely assumed in their everlastin' arrogance that their brainchild was all-encompassin'.

Thankfully, we know better. So screw you, Annapolis. :moon:

Brazil, Portugal, Sudan and Nicarauga all issued the AR-10 as did the USA to SF forces for evaluation. No idea if the US ones saw conflict prior to the 90's and the GWOT (Knights M110)

And the 1989 list was based on popularity based off of advertising, media and the forerunner of the Federal AWB and MD just copied it part and parcel and banned a gun that doesn't exist.

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Its not listed by name, And in my opinion its not a copy cat. Did you find 1 at a decent price? Most I have seen over the years are north of 10K

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    All are north of $10k for an original. I will build a clone from a flat. I've already sourced some parts for it.

sundaeman

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 16, 2008
    No one here is qualified to answer this question accurately. Therefore, you have two options: 1) ask the Maryland legislatures who write these laws; or 2) ask any two year-old with plump, warm Pampers. The answers will be identical (as are the creative thought processes used to dream them up).

I disagree, the two year old would be more open to reason.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Its not listed by name, And in my opinion its not a copy cat.

"Copy or Imitation" is NOT the same thing as "Copy cat."

Copy cat regs in MD are the 29" OAL, no two evil features.

Copy or imitation, based on AG letter of interpretation, is interchangeable parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom