• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bryanjusmc

Celer Silens Mortalis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Edgemere
    I tried a search but if there is something out there, the fu is not with me. I have a few questions.

1. Are there any local ranges that allow you to holster draw without a bunch of to-do? I recently visited Freestate for the first time and thoroughly enjoyed my time there shooting both my pistols and my AR. I have been planning on returning there to practice firing from the holster draw and some malfunction drills until I found out that you have to be a member to be 'holster draw certified' or whatever they call it. I don't make it to the range as often enough to justify the $250 membership fee.... I don't have the $ anyway, which is why I usually don't make it to the range that often. I obviously have no problem letting the RSO or whoever else observe my technique for safety reasons.

2. Is there any difference between dummy rounds or a snap caps? I know snap caps have a spring in them that absorb the firing pin strike but I don't know if dummy rounds do, or if there is really a difference. That being said, should I use one or the other when doing malfunction drills? Can anyone recommend a brand or particular kind?

3. Anyone have any fun malfunction drills they want to share? I had planned on going with a friend and loading each others mags with the dummy rounds/snap caps to simulate malfunctions and incorporate this into our holster fire but would like some other ideas if anyone else has any.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    A-zoom is good for dry fire/malfunction drills.

I'm in SoMd, so I can't help with the range aspect.

Marauder

Revolver Addict
    Dec 14, 2010
    I believe you can holster draw at the NRA range, you might want to check there web sight..

Kilroy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2011
    Most modern handguns don't need snap caps (same thing as dummy rounds), but I like to use and highly recommend A-zoom brand.

Freestate is the only range I frequent, so I don't know if anyone else allows holster work. You can practice this at home WITHOUT AMMO and get the muscle memory down.

You can set up a double feed by dropping a bullet into the chamber, then loading a magazine with rounds in it. Release the slide, and you have a malfunction! Simulate a FTF by dropping the magazine slightly before taking a shot. The next round won't load, and you'll need to tap, rack, bang to fix it. I can't remember the other malfunction setups, I'm sure someone will be along in a second to add to this.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    The range I go to (most) allows it only on weekdays before 6PM. (Keeps out the riffraff I guess)

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    It's a hike(Windsor, PA), but My range allows holster draws, shooting on the move, rapid fire, positions and basically any safe shooting at paper targets. There are benches you can shoot from, and as long as nobody is shooting from the line, you can go forward of the line to shoot. It's a private range, and 90% of the members are hunters that use it once a year to sight in their deer rifle, so It's rarely crowded. The annual dues are $20(yea seriously $20 a year initiation is $20 though), there is no work requirement, no meeting attendance requirement, no residency requirement, and if you show up at a meeting and attend the range orientation/safety meeting then the club president will sign off on the "2 sponsors" rule, and you get voted in. All you have to do is stay safe, pick up after yourself, lock the gate when you leave, and be courteous to other shooters(no full auto, no 50BMG, the berms are not big enough). It basically wins over just about every range in MD, and there are a few other private club ranges like this in the area.

http://www.windsorfishandgame.org/membership.html

bryanjusmc

Celer Silens Mortalis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Edgemere

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Most modern handguns don't need snap caps (same thing as dummy rounds), but I like to use and highly recommend A-zoom brand.

Freestate is the only range I frequent, so I don't know if anyone else allows holster work. You can practice this at home WITHOUT AMMO and get the muscle memory down.

You can set up a double feed by dropping a bullet into the chamber, then loading a magazine with rounds in it. Release the slide, and you have a malfunction! Simulate a FTF by dropping the magazine slightly before taking a shot. The next round won't load, and you'll need to tap, rack, bang to fix it. I can't remember the other malfunction setups, I'm sure someone will be along in a second to add to this.

Ask Chad about certain striker fired handguns and damage caused by dry firing.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Its best to use Snap Caps with substancial dry firing on Striker Fired Pistols. I have posted pics in the past of the damage it causes.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    This place sounds great, and at $20 I don't think it can be wrong. So you have to be voted in before you can use the range if you go the sponsor route? How long does it take to be voted in?

Print and fill out the app, show up at 7pm on the first monday of the month, you get a tour of the range, they go over the rules, 2 of the senior club members sign off on the sponsor part, then the meeting starts at 7:30. They go over club spending and income for about 20 minutes, then introduce new members, vote you in(never seen anyone vote aggainst a new member), then the meeting is over, you pay your $40, they give you a membership card, and you can use the range the next day if you want. In March they mail out renewals, you send $20, can add a spouse for $3, kids under 16 for $1 each, and you get your new cards every year. I normally just give them $100, they can use the donation, and I take gusts occasionally, and usually don't have a $5 bill, so it works out. To take a guest, you put $5 in a box to shoot for a day, they ask that you limit to 2 guests, and if you bring that guest more than a couple times, they ask that the guest joins the club. The Club is East of York, PA, takes about 30 minutes to get there from the Pa/MD line above Harford, Cecil, Baltimore or Carroll counties.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    I believe you can holster draw at the NRA range, you might want to check there web sight..

Last time I shot at NRA headquarters - they do allow holster draw. In fact there target holders, can be programmed to turn to that you can practice drawing. The only thing I dont like about the NRA range, is that it is only 50yards. If your shooting high powered rifles - its a bit short. But its a nice range nonetheless.

Id also look into DNR ranges. My local range (Savage River Shooting Range) has no RO, and you can holster draw if you wish. Hell -some people like to shoot from Porta Pottys if given the chance there.

Teemus

MSI Executive Member
    Jul 28, 2009
    Not at the AGC. You can't even CARRY your handgun in a holster while changing targets on the pistol range.

kohburn

Resident MacGyver
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2008
    PAX NAS / CP MCAS
    WARPIG [USMC];1552491 said:
    Maryland Small Arms Range in Upper Marlboro allows it

doesn't really explain all the bullet holes in the ceiling tiles and lane dividers.
    I was a member for a year but it always makes me nervous being there seeing all the damage done by other range goers.

pasayan73

May 31, 2009
    laurel, md
    NRA range allows holster draw. You can also shoot double taps. Even though it is only 50yds but you can zero your ar, ak iron sights at 25m. Also a good way of practice shoot for 3gun. I like their computerized and electronic target retrieval system. One of the finest indoor range there is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bapple

Latest threads

Top Bottom