• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Burkhard

Aug 4, 2022
    Maryland
    Hi all,

Newish here. I did a little searchy search about holsters, but didn't really find what I was looking for. I saw sales and a small snipit of holsters.
    But what I'm looking for is a little more. What are your thoughts for IWB as far as companies go. I've got a couple vedder and we the people, but what's your favorite, what model of IWB? Any occasions where OWB would work or be better, feel better?

I'm also looking for retention holsters. I know they're generally going to be OWB/leg drops, but what brand? I've seen a lot of suggestions for Safariland. What about Alienwear, or something else?

Thanks,
    Burk

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    It's one of those things where you can get 100 different answers from 100 different people. The real answer is "what works/fits for you." I go only with IWB. I have some cheap "flowers and gun" brand from Amazon (yes, that really is an aproximation of the brand) that is ok, but I never use it. I then got a Bravo Concealment which I like.

On a whim I tried the TUC holster from https://www.northcoasttactical.com/ which is very similar to the Bravo Concealment, but the belt loop/clip is a little higher than the BC, so it rides a little lower and prints less with my fat gut. Being IWB for conceal carry, they are all just the basic friction retention.

Burkhard

Aug 4, 2022
    Maryland
    It's one of those things where you can get 100 different answers from 100 different people. The real answer is "what works/fits for you." I go only with IWB. I have some cheap "flowers and gun" brand from Amazon (yes, that really is an aproximation of the brand) that is ok, but I never use it. I then got a Bravo Concealment which I like.

On a whim I tried the TUC holster from https://www.northcoasttactical.com/ which is very similar to the Bravo Concealment, but the belt loop/clip is a little higher than the BC, so it rides a little lower and prints less with my fat gut. Being IWB for conceal carry, they are all just the basic friction retention.
    True true. I'm a little bit of a chubby guy also, so anything to help hide the print is good. I've heard of that amazon brand, I use it for my cuffs. Thanks for the input.

Burkhard

Aug 4, 2022
    Maryland
    I am a big fan of the Safariland ALS system. That being said you need to get lots of practice performing the "thumb sweep" while drawing. Once that part is second nature it becomes a very good, and comfortable retention holster.
    cool, I think I'll give them a try. And of course, practice makes perfect.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    cool, I think I'll give them a try. And of course, practice makes perfect.
    I second SGs recommend for a retention holster. I have a couple of the ALS type as well as one of the level 3 (has the hood over the back of the slide). Much prefer ALS personally. Great working holster (like when you are doing work that doesn't involve the gun) as it's pretty hard to release them by mistake.

For IWB, I have a couple from a guy who has made me custom leather, a couple galco, and tenicor. All have their place. Most commonly used is my tenicor velo4.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    True true. I'm a little bit of a chubby guy also, so anything to help hide the print is good. I've heard of that amazon brand, I use it for my cuffs. Thanks for the input.
    Then what are you carrying, I am a little "chubby" as well 6'0" 225lbs and I IWB a Sig M17 at 3:30-4 o'clock position. My mags actually print more than my pistol because of their length.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom