• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chevy

Sep 6, 2010
    In a little over 3 years I've had 5 or more robocalls from charles county sheriff warning about them...

nutz

Closer to 5's than 10's
    Jun 29, 2011
    Near Indian Head, Md.
    I noticed the sign going home last night on 228. I did not see anything in the Independent today. Anyone have any details?

Wasting taxpayer dollars by advertising the non-emergency number to the sheriff's office. The one on 210 is even better, they placed it in PG county :sad20:

wade234

Feb 12, 2011
    Mechanicsville, MD
    So there is not increase or anything going on? We had a strange guy knock on the door last Friday around 9:30 asking to borrow jumper cables. We probably should have reported it but did not think about it. He acted really nervous. Next time I will be answering with the 9mm in hand that late at night. Waldorf is not what it used to be.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    So there is not increase or anything going on? We had a strange guy knock on the door last Friday around 9:30 asking to borrow jumper cables. We probably should have reported it but did not think about it. He acted really nervous. Next time I will be answering with the 9mm in hand that late at night. Waldorf is not what it used to be.

Your better off not opening the door at all for someone you don't know. My wife and I have a standing rule about this. Why remove one of the barriers between you and a potentially violent encounter.

I generaly will make it known that I am home if someone knocks but I do not answer the door until. My family, friends and neighbors know to call first. I don't really like surprises anyway.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Your better off not opening the door at all for someone you don't know. My wife and I have a standing rule about this. Why remove one of the barriers between you and a potentially violent encounter.

I generaly will make it known that I am home if someone knocks but I do not answer the door until. My family, friends and neighbors know to call first. I don't really like surprises anyway.

Agreed. I HATE the pop in.

Waitwhat

Feb 19, 2013
    I just ignore knocks on my door altogether. Everyone I particularly want to have to deal with has my phone number or is my friend on facebook. If they want me to let them in, they can call or message me. Everyone else gets ignored. That's more to do with me just not liking people though.

hdatontodo

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2012
    So. Central Balto Co
    Last time, I opened a sash window and talked to the guy who was on the porch. I like the keep the door closed idea.

Anyone aware of a video intercom that does NOT require the person at the door to push a button to make things happen?

Rick3bears

Grumpy Old Coot
    Jul 28, 2012
    Somewhere, MD
    True story. I work nights. I was sitting in the livingroom around 4:30am, having a beer (I just got off work) and someone knocked on the door. Some guy was standing just out of the light from the porch and I asked through the door (I'm not stupid enough to open the door) "Can I help you? He wouldn't look me in the face and had a hoodie on so it was hard to see who it was. He wanted to come in and use the phone. In this day and age? The homeless guy on my block has a frikin cell phone. Long story short. I told him I couldn't help and if he was having troubles I could call PG police for him. He started cursing me and I interrupted him and said" See the sign by your right leg? It says: " Nothing inside worth dieing for". He started to turn around to pound on the door and caught sight of the 1911 .45ACP in my hand. He then left. Folks, I carry while at home. all of the time. So should you.

Last edited:

Rick3bears

Grumpy Old Coot
    Jul 28, 2012
    Somewhere, MD
    Just a suggestion

I have quite a few firearms. I have invested in a GOOD gun safe. They are NOT cheap. I also have invested in a top-of-the-line alarm system just on the safe. If something disturbs the alarm, it phones me on my work phone. Then all I have to do is call PG's Finest and they're always willing to go charging in wearing all of their SWAT gear because someone calls and says : Some one is breaking into my safe and it contains GUNS!!!"

Waitwhat

Feb 19, 2013
    None of us are handling these things right. Common sense dictates that we just fire two double-barrel shotgun blasts out our windows.

sykesville

Ultimate Member

Uncle Joe said to just shoot your shotgun through the door

JAY1234

Retired Radioman Chief
    Dec 1, 2012
    St Marys County Maryland
    Joe the dunce

That's been updated by Tailgunner Joe. Seems now we are supposed to blast through the door.

Old Joe just keeps on keeping on with his totally inaccurate statements.
    1) Never shoot your weapon unless sure of the target. Just blasting away through a door and you could be shooting an innocent neighbor and in Maryland you would be put in jail for such an action.
    2) A shotgun blast through a door will make a huge hole whereas an AR-15 makes small hole but definitely will get the point across that forced entry will be met with disastrous results.

Polecat

R.I.P.
    Feb 4, 2008
    Southern Maryland
    True story. I work nights. I was sitting in the livingroom around 4:30am, having a beer (I just got off work) and someone knocked on the door. Some guy was standing just out of the light from the porch and I asked through the door (I'm not stupid enough to open the door) "Can I help you? He wouldn't look me in the face and had a hoodie on so it was hard to see who it was. He wanted to come in and use the phone. In this day and age? The homeless guy on my block has a frikin cell phone. Long story short. I told him I couldn't help and if he was having troubles I could call PG police for him. He started cursing me and I interrupted him and said" See the sign by your right leg? It says: " Nothing inside worth dieing for". He started to turn around to pound on the door and caught sight of the 1911 .45ACP in my hand. He then left. Folks, I carry while at home. all of the time. So should you.
    That right there is good advice, I have followed it for a lot of years. :innocent0

nedsurf

Ultimate Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    That's been updated by Tailgunner Joe. Seems now we are supposed to blast through the door.

OMG. This is so over the top i'm suspecting him of trying to torpedo the whole gun grabber agenda. I can hear the gears clicking in his head. "I've been through this before, going after gun control is bad for the career. I've got to follow party line but how can I do damage control..." I mean is this guy really this dim?

tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona
    In every edition of the MD Independent newspaper, 60-70% of the police briefs are robberies and home burglaries. The remaining arrests are mostly drug related.

The prescription drug and heroin abuse in Charles County is pretty bad. What is even scarier is that heroin use is slowly taking over the prescription drug abuse crowd as the drug of choice and is making it's way into the high schools. A large portion of the burglaries are teens and young adults trying to steal enough for their next fix.

Charles County use to be a place where you could leave your house unlocked. Not anymore.

sheriff160

Nov 1, 2009
    Waldorf, Maryland
    The Sheriff's Office placed the signs at various locations of high traffic to urge people to lock their homes and vehicles. The majority of the reported burglaries and thefts from vehicles the Sheriff's officers are investigating, could have been easily prevented had the owner simply taken reasonable precautions, like locking the doors. It always amazes me how many people leave laptops, wallets w/credit cards and cash, cell phones etc... in unlocked cars and in plain view and are completely stunned when somebody steals them.
    The other issue they are trying to get across is for citizens to call the Sheriff's Office if they see suspicious activity. A lot of criminals could have be arrested if the neighbor who saw somebody walking away from a house carring a flat screen TV would have called when they observed it.
    There is no need to make the criminals job easier, just remember to use some basic common sense.

Last edited:

nutz

Closer to 5's than 10's
    Jun 29, 2011
    Near Indian Head, Md.
    The other issue they are trying to get across is for citizens to call the Sheriff's Office if they see suspicious activity. A lot of criminals could have be arrested if the neighbor who saw somebody walking away from a house carring a flat screen TV would have called when they observed it.
    There is no need to make the criminals job easier, just remember to use some basic common sense.

Pfffft. Not sure about the others, but by the time you guys get into my hood, the culprits are back in Waldorf, PG or DC.

Still doesn't explain why the sign on 210 is even in PG.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom