• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    For the OP

Choice # 1 - You can actually get hold of that Shotgun shaped object , but will take hoop jumping and lots of time delay . And said gun sucks for your presumed apparent purposes .

Choice # 1.5 - Instead or in addition , get 18 inch Pistol Grip Only shotgun like object . In & out same day , but sucks as much as above .

Choice #2 - Staying within the same broad family of frearms , get instead or in addition a Real Shotgun . 18- 20in bbl , real stock . A viable , effective option for your apparent purposes

Choice #3 - Read and participate in great debate of shotgun vs PCC vs AR-15(-ish) . Literally eternal , often heated , never will have a conclusive answer . Creates more confusion than answers for non dedicated observers .

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I got some PCCs mainly to have fun with back when 9mm was easier to obtain than 5.56. I initially started my daughter shooting .22s. I tried to move her on up to the AR, but she doesn't like the AR, or the AK, so I tried the PCC. First a Scorpion, then a Rak 9, and she did well. She just didn't like the AR, so I concentrated on what she felt comfortable with. As long as she's not an anti 2A leftist, I am happy, and I would feel comfortable with her having a PCC over choosing not to have anything. The PCC is quieter, the mags are lighter and smaller, easy to store and carry. She doesn't care for the shotgun as well, but did like the 9mm pistol. So, I like my 12G, my 45 pistol, and my AR, but she loves the PCC, so it's what floats her boat.

This is REALLY why PCCs have gotten so popular, not necessarily how they shoot, but where they can shoot, and how the blast/noise is more comfortable. For most, to practice with a rifle caliber, you go to an outdoor range, sit at a bench, shoot at paper 100 yards away, and get yelled at by the RO if you shoot more than once every few seconds. For a PCC, take it indoors, shoot at close range steel plates, shoot fast on pistol ranges, and at least it is a lot better practice for defense. Even in competition or tactical classes, PCCs can usually hit reactive targets and steel MUCH closer, where rifle calibers have too much energy, and will damage steel or throw fragments with enough force to injure someone, so they are usually paper only till 50 yards or more.

Noise is important, PCCs are flat out more comfortble to shoot than rifle calibers, also part of the reason SBR/braced pistols with a suppressor are so great, all the power of a rifle caliber, all the noise of a 22. The only downside for PCCs can be reliability with HP ammo, and recoil/bumpfire with blowbacks, this is another advantage some rifle caliber ARs can have over AR9s. Delayed blowback and a decent feed design fix those, and can make them superior to rifle calibers in some hands. I have coached enough new shooters to know 99% that come to me with a revolver or shotgun to use for home defense find out both what it takes to run that competently, and how much easier a carbine is to use.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Since this shotgun thread is apparently now a thread about PCCs as well as why training is important:

1.) every firearm has trade offs. Training is the answer, not obsessing over weapon optimization. Well by all means do that too if you enjoy it, just please train, dry fire, etc.

2.) if you do settle on a PCC for home defense (not my preference but I think there are logical reasons to do so), make sure your ammo selection has been tested with whatever length barrel you’re using. Most modern defensive handgun ammo is designed to work when fired from 3-5” barrels, and may expand too quickly when fired with additional velocity from an 8” or 16” barrel. Maybe your PCC doesn’t feed hollow points well anyway, and it’s time to consider the Lehigh defense extreme defender projectiles (also good against vampires) or something that is more likely to hold together at high velocity, and will likely feed more reliably from a PCC. The point here is not to argue about what bullets are good, just to point out that ammo selection is a consideration with PCCs and you may not be able to just use what the gun shop sells. Then again well aimed ball ammo will do the job too, so as long as you have ammo that feeds reliably and you’ve actually trained to use your weapon effectively, you’re probably fine. And even if your ammo turns out to not be 100% reliable, I’d you’ve trained to clear malfunctions it’s not a big deal so you’re probably still fine. It’s almost like training is more important than gun or ammo selection, which is weird.

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    For a PCC, take it indoors, shoot at close range steel plates, shoot fast on pistol ranges, and at least it is a lot better practice for defense. Even in competition or tactical classes, PCCs can usually hit reactive targets and steel MUCH closer, where rifle calibers have too much energy, and will damage steel or throw fragments with enough force to injure someone, so they are usually paper only till 50 yards or more.

Noise is important, PCCs are flat out more comfortble to shoot than rifle calibers, also part of the reason SBR/braced pistols with a suppressor are so great, all the power of a rifle caliber, all the noise of a 22. The only downside for PCCs can be reliability with HP ammo, and recoil/bumpfire with blowbacks, this is another advantage some rifle caliber ARs can have over AR9s. Delayed blowback and a decent feed design fix those, and can make them superior to rifle calibers in some hands. I have coached enough new shooters to know 99% that come to me with a revolver or shotgun to use for home defense find out both what it takes to run that competently, and how much easier a carbine is to use.

I thought it was only me, but when I looked up the IDPA and USPSA times, on average people are much faster and more accurate with PCC (even taking into account the magazine reload time). Almost half the time to hit the same stage. Those two extra points of contact matter! I am indifferent between my 12.5" AR and my PCC.

My pistol caliber AR 12.5") with a suppressor is not as quiet as a 22 lol.

Also what is the problem with bumpfires? Like, oops, I gave the bad guy four bullets instead of the double tap?

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I use frangible shotgun breaching shells to blow hinges off the door of my kid's room when I need to save them from the hostage situation. Don't want to accidentally injure them. The plus living with your parents, mom and dad can clear and pull security while I am on the move clearing the 8 room mansion. Shit, that reminds me. I need to order more mini glow sticks.

sixspeedshift

Jul 6, 2020
    Did OP get his money back?

Don't feel bad, I also paid a covid special price of almost $400 more for a Ruger 556 from United Gun Shop in Rockville.

I actually posted about it on here and someone said something that helped: "sometimes you get the deal, sometimes the deal gets you"

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I use frangible shotgun breaching shells to blow hinges off the door of my kid's room when I need to save them from the hostage situation. Don't want to accidentally injure them. The plus living with your parents, mom and dad can clear and pull security while I am on the move clearing the 8 room mansion. Shit, that reminds me. I need to order more mini glow sticks.
    Only for hostage situations? Your kids are spoiled. What about if they don’t clean their rooms or eat their vegetables?

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    My parents made us clear our own rooms. When I turned 15 I was allowed to flash bang the bathroom too.

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    You had your own room? I had a pit in the backyard, and got mustard and biscuits 3 times a week.

yeah. Rich uncle gave us bricks and shovels for christmas one year, so we dug our own rooms.

HSF

Jun 6, 2019
    For not much more I would pick up one of these:
    50240.jpg

Plenty available at Gunbroker:
    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/920757528

I love mine, it is stunning how easy it is to load/unload. And the recoil is extremely manageable. The ability to hold 15+1 2-3/4 inch shells is also quite satisfying - though I keep mine with a dozen 3" at the ready with the ability to cycle to 00, BBB, or HD ammo from whichever magazine decide to rotate in to match the threat/environment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom