• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ca18thc

Sep 7, 2013
    I had an old metal Dewalt drill case collecting dust, so I converted it into a new home for my German Sig P228 and my Sig P226 MK25. I added a lock hasp so I can lock the case while traveling. Now it is easier to take them to the range together.

image_zps25d9c113.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

image_zps7d0b0ada.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

Below is the hot wire setup I made to cut the foam for my pistol case. The arrangement is very simple. I used my drill press for the frame to hold a piece of nichrome wire. The drill press is never turned on, it is only used as a frame to hold the wire taught. On the top the wire is connected to an eye screw in a small section of wooden dowel to insulate the wire from the drill. The dowel is held in the drill chuck. On the bottom the wire is connected to an eye bolt threaded into a board below the drill press table. Both eyes are also connected to wires that go to the train transformer terminals. You have to experiment with the best power setting on the transformer. Just apply enough power so that the foam cuts easily. Too much power and you will trip the circuit breaker in the transformer. Too little power and you will not get a clean cut. On my transformer 60 percent power was perfect. For inside cuts disconnect the dowel from the chuck, thread the wire through a slit in the foam then tighten the chuck on the dowel.

image_zps8f237260.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

image_zpsb61f6e45.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

It is pretty easy to cut out the foam with the hot wire setup. First, I traced each pistol profile on poster board using a pen cartridge. After I cut out the pistol profiles I checked to see if the pistol fit in the holes in the poster board and adjusted the cutout as needed. When I was happy with the fit, I traced the pistol profiles on the closed cell foam with a fine tip white magic marker. Finally, I cut a hole in the middle of each of the tracings, threaded the nichrome wire through the foam, turned on the transformer and followed the white line. A littile rubbing alcohol removed the residual white marker.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    I am not a fan of advertising my guns so I like this idea.

Keep in mind that tools are also desirable for thieves. Consider painting over the Dewalt.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Nice work. I built a hot wire foam cutter myself a while back, one thing I found useful to maintain proper tension was to put a spring on one end of the wire.

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Nice!

You should market those. Maybe make some with Ryobi or Kobalt (even less likely to be stolen). Definitely don't make any with Hilti.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Very nice.
    I can't wait to see what you do with a cello case.

ca18thc

Sep 7, 2013
    Thank you. The nice thing about using a drill press to hold the nichrome wire is that there is a spring built into the drill press spindle. The built in spring keeps the wire under tension. Otherwise the wire would become slack as it expanded from the heat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom