• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    I was looking at videos on youtube of supressed AR's, and came across a bunch of videos of people making and using their own supressors. The first thing I thought was its got to be illegal somehow, but I did a little reading and some people say, just submit the normal form 1, and others say as long as its just you making it, using it, and you dont transfer it, its ok. Dont get me wrong, Im not planning too try this task, I dont have the proper tools, materials, or knowledge to do such a job. I just thought this was pretty cool if its legal and a great way to exercise one's right to own/use a suppressed weapon.

phidelta308

Jan 4, 2010
    bawlmer, hon!
    IANAL but if you don't fill out the proper forms and pay the tax, it doesn't matter whether or not if you made it by yourself or whether or not you intend to transfer it. You are illegally manufacturing an NFA device, and that's a great way to become a felon/lose a bunch of rights/go to prison.

It's not the same thing as manufacturing a (non NFA) firearm, which is legal, as long as you manufacture it yourself, and never transfer it.

When in doubt, contact an attorney, before you take the plunge.

hailtoby

Running with the Devil.
    Sep 5, 2009
    Charles County
    as far as I know you need a form 1 before you even start to buy the parts to assemble it, similar to having a sbr upper before you're approved.

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    IANAL but if you don't fill out the proper forms and pay the tax, it doesn't matter whether or not if you made it by yourself or whether or not you intend to transfer it. You are illegally manufacturing an NFA device, and that's a great way to become a felon/lose a bunch of rights/go to prison.

It's not the same thing as manufacturing a (non NFA) firearm, which is legal, as long as you manufacture it yourself, and never transfer it.

When in doubt, contact an attorney, before you take the plunge.

Im not doing it, dont have the stuff if I wanted too. So filling out the proper paperwork, which is just the form 1, you can actually legally build your own? Thats freaking cool. Not just from a cost standpoint but just to be able to say "hey I built this".

midcountyg

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2009
    Preston, MD
    Perfectly legal, after you have paid the $200 manufacturing tax and received your approved form 1 back from the NFA. Know the laws before you begin though, as the NFA is not a branch you want to play around with.

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    I built my .22 silencer on a Form 1. It is completely legal as long as you treat it just like buying a regular silencer except that you fill out a Form 1 rather than a Form 4.

I did mine because I love building things. However unless you have access to a large lathe I suggest you think real hard before taking this on. It is NEVER cheaper, and usually you'll have better results with a professionally built model.

If .22 is your thing, then you can work in aluminum and get by. However, if your thinking of a centerfire rifle, you'll need to be able to machine the hard metals like 17-4 stainless, 304SS, 416SS, and Inconel. You'll also need to TIG the entire can, so that skill set will also be required. If you are comfortable with all this and have a large lathe / CNC go for it, it is a very fun and rewarding project.

-Jim

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Perfectly legal, after you have paid the $200 manufacturing tax and received your approved form 1 back from the NFA. Know the laws before you begin though, as the NFA is not a branch you want to play around with.

Yep, the penalties for violating NFA are as strict as those for digital copyright infringement.

10 years and $250,000 for an illegal NFA weapon

5 years and $500,000 for an illegal digital copy of "software" first offense
    10 years and $1,000,000 for an illegal digital copy of "software" subsequent offenses

Makes me wonder why people get in a tizzy about NFA weapons but then freely trade MP3's with each other. ;)

Mark

livefast1

May 31, 2010
    easton,md
    Yep, the penalties for violating NFA are as strict as those for digital copyright infringement.

10 years and $1,000,000 for an illegal digital copy of "software" subsequent offenses

Makes me wonder why people get in a tizzy about NFA weapons but then freely trade MP3's with each other. ;)

Mark

Wow I never thought of it like that lol.

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Again I dont plan on doing this, I just didnt know it was possible. I thought this would be a crime bigger than murder. I just saw people doing it and thought WOW thats freaking cool if its legal.

Mark

Holy crap...although if they actually busted everyone for doing that, there wouldnt be anyone to run the country...hell we probably wouldnt have anyone to guard the jails lol, we would all be locked up.

Auckland

Get On My Horse
    Apr 6, 2008
    The Dena
    Just an out of the blue question. If you stick a potato on the end of your gun, do you need a tax stamp? What about an oil filter? I've seen both in a movie or TV show. Just wondering.

LostSoul

Nugget Popper
    Oct 29, 2008
    Ho Co
    I believe the answer is YES. You must pay the $200 tax stamp for the spud you adapt to your firearm. I'm not sure if having potatoes in the house would constitute constructive intent... :D

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    I built my .22 silencer on a Form 1. It is completely legal as long as you treat it just like buying a regular silencer except that you fill out a Form 1 rather than a Form 4.

I did mine because I love building things. However unless you have access to a large lathe I suggest you think real hard before taking this on. It is NEVER cheaper, and usually you'll have better results with a professionally built model.

If .22 is your thing, then you can work in aluminum and get by. However, if your thinking of a centerfire rifle, you'll need to be able to machine the hard metals like 17-4 stainless, 304SS, 416SS, and Inconel. You'll also need to TIG the entire can, so that skill set will also be required. If you are comfortable with all this and have a large lathe / CNC go for it, it is a very fun and rewarding project.

-Jim

What type of blueprints did you have to submit with your form 1?

midcountyg

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2009
    Preston, MD
    Once you complete your form 1 are you only allowed to manufacture 1 device or are you allowed to fabricate and experiment as well as transfer on form 4s?

Only good for one build. Having any extra parts can get ya charged with constructive intent of an unregistered NFA item. They do allow you to replace any worn or damaged parts, except the serial numbered part. But if you were to replace a part, I would advise destroying the original part before making the new part.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom