• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • one-star

Mar 9, 2009
    So I shot Wolf ammo for the first time today (about 100 rounds) and now after over two hours of passing patches with first Hoppes and then CLP down the barrel I still cant get it to come out clean.....

Love some advice on
    1. Will this happen every time I shoot wolf?

2. Any thoughts on what to put down there to really clean it out?

thanks!

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    what caliber? what kind of firearm?

have you tried using a brush?

all the guns i shoot wolf out of are hard chromed (AK's) so on the rare occasion they get cleaned, they clean up pretty dang easily. I use wipe-out in the bore, though (foaming bore cleaner). Spray it in, let it soak in and do its job, and patch out after a movie.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    Wolf is dirty stuff, so be ready to clean when you shoot it. As for cleaning products, give WipeOut a try. A lot of folks around here swear by it.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Wolf is very dirty but makes sense in certain guns. A few patches well-saturated with Hoppes should take care of an AK, though I don't feed Wolf to anything with high tolerances anymore... too much fouling and it can tend to leave bits of steel casing behind.

Try some WipeOut as others have suggested, or simply let the Hoppes sit for several minutes longer in between dry patches. Either way give the solvent time to do the work.

one-star

Mar 9, 2009
    what caliber? what kind of firearm?

have you tried using a brush?

all the guns i shoot wolf out of are hard chromed (AK's) so on the rare occasion they get cleaned, they clean up pretty dang easily. I use wipe-out in the bore, though (foaming bore cleaner). Spray it in, let it soak in and do its job, and patch out after a movie.

I ran a boresnake through 4 or 5 times 1st to get out the worst of the crud and then patch-o-rama....my big concern is its an unchromed barrel. While wolf is supposedly non-corrosive Im a bit worried about long-term damage, on the other hand Id be curious as to what wipe-out does in a a non-chromed barrel too...

I finally got it field clean, but no way a sgt would pass it for inspection

bah

Ill try the wipeout :)

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    Id be curious as to what wipe-out does in a a non-chromed barrel too...

Cleans it.

Well.

As for inspection clean, is this an AR-15? Wolf in a GI gun is a really bad idea. Not because it's inaccurate or the steel cases cause jams (because they don't if it's a quality rifle), but because it's dirty ammo. Hell....clean ammo dirties up an AR like a mofo. Dirty ammo's gotta do a NUMBER on 'em. ;)

If it's an AK, "inspection clean" means you can pull the charging handle back without two whole handfuls of dirt falling out. :D

one-star

Mar 9, 2009
    Cleans it.

Well.

As for inspection clean, is this an AR-15? Wolf in a GI gun is a really bad idea. Not because it's inaccurate or the steel cases cause jams (because they don't if it's a quality rifle), but because it's dirty ammo. Hell....clean ammo dirties up an AR like a mofo. Dirty ammo's gotta do a NUMBER on 'em. ;)

If it's an AK, "inspection clean" means you can pull the charging handle back without two whole handfuls of dirt falling out. :D

Thank you!
    Its a commie gun so Ill take that as "its clean" for now :party29:

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    Wait... people actually clean AK's?

Why?

well the ones that shoot corrosive (Yugo 7.62x39, all surplus 5.45x39) it's certainly understandable.

none of my guns that eat wolf get cleaned very often. I may push a patch of CLP through the gas tube, wipe down the bolt/carrier/piston every couple thousand rounds, and lube the rails every 500 or so, but that's about it.

they typically just get shot then go back in the safe for next time. :thumbsup:

frozencesium

BBQ Czar
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 5, 2008
    Tampa, FL
    wipeout good. I don't, however use it for AKs mostly because I just snake the barrel a few times and put 'em away (when shooting non-corrosive wolf) since the idea of pushing fouling from the muzzle to the breach just feels wrong, even on a AK. Every so often I'll wipe off the bolt/carrier/rails/etc and put some clp on.

that said, with my AK's (the only rifles i feed wolf too) I'm with ferret. Is not clean, is AK! I pulled my yugo M-64 out not to long ago, realized I hadn't cleaned when I cleared the weapon (yes, even though I put the weapon away unloaded I'm a good boy and go through my safety ritual)...shrugged my shoulders and put it back without bothering to clean it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom