• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mark K

Sep 29, 2013
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Anybody else use a Hornady Lock-N-Load Automatic Primer Feeder...

2kNGaDR.jpg

...with a Classic Single Stage Press?

3xJI1cC.jpg

If so, how much trouble do you have aligning the primer tube with the primer arm?

I know it needs very precise alignment. But after getting the knack, for a couple years I was having absolutely no problem with it -- almost first time, every time.

But recently I've been having more and more trouble. The primers either don't feed, or all dump out of the tube (a 5-gallon bucket underneath the press is very handy). Takes me repeated loosening, adjusting, and retightening of the screw before getting it right.

Do the tubes maybe wear with age? Maybe the inside of the holes in the aluminum tube getting burred from the steel cotter pin?

shoreshot

Mar 4, 2013
    Frederick Co.
    Just got one this weekend. Been loading on my hornady for years and didnt even know it existed! The tube did have burs where the pin goes from being drilled. I just used a drill bit into the end of the tube and cleaned it up. Slide right down now. Not sure about your alignment issue. It lined up pretty easy for me but it is brand new. Maybe the spring is weak causing your issue? It looks lime Hornady has a replacement number for the spring.

Mark K

Sep 29, 2013
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Yeah, the set-up is great -- when it's all aligned right and working.

Just got one this weekend.

Where did you get yours? I've been casually looking around for a replacement set, but they look like they've been discontinued by Hornady...?

Maybe the spring is weak causing your issue? It looks lime Hornady has a replacement number for the spring.

It did occur to me that maybe the spring is bent or something. I've been making sure it's straight. But half the time the primers don't drop at all, which tells me it's probably alignment -- or something else.

By the way, a few months ago I did find some residue was binding the spring. I had to remove the spring to clean out the slot. Made sure the spring is back like it's supposed to be...

shoreshot

Mar 4, 2013
    Frederick Co.
    Surprisingly they were in stock at bass pro online. Shipped right in. Definitely sounds like burrs if they aren't feeding. A drill bit or maybe even a brass bore brush on a drill will probably do the trick. If u get it figured out make sure to let us all know!

Mark K

Sep 29, 2013
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I'll check for any burring. Maybe use a rat-tail file.

But I don't know if that's it, since other times all the primers just dump out.

Yet other times it'll drop two primers at a time.

I only load five primers at a time until I get the alignment right.

I've got a new small primer tube coming from Midway -- we'll see how that works too.

Mark K

Sep 29, 2013
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Well, I'm still waiting on my new small-primer tube to come in.

Meantime, I loaded some .45 ACP a couple days ago. I don't load that caliber much, so the large-primer tube doesn't get much use. In any case, I got the tube aligned and working perfectly the first time. So maybe it is burring inside the aluminum tube, from the steel cotter pin... or maybe it's just the size of the primers and tube...

Anyway, I couldn't see any burring inside the old small-primer tube. But I did take a small rat-tail file and ran it around the bore of the tube. We'll see if it works better now...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom