• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I used to shoot a lot there, back when it was Gun Powder Range.

Just went a few months ago with a friend. The people working were well behaved and friendly. I only had cast lead bullet rounds, and was told that I needed no exposed lead, but after I said fine, I would not shoot, and they were not busy, they let me shoot them. I was told to please bring no exposed lead next time.

I would shoot there again.

Safetech

I open big metal boxes
    May 28, 2011
    Dundock
    I thought it was Worst and McCann

FIFY.

Anybody can make a mistake. But when the OWNER steps in and promises to make it right, then puts you off with excuses, then cops an attitude with you because you would simply like to know WHEN he's going to make it right, then drops the ball twice on promises made, and you never do get the screw up fixed - well, eventually you just give up and cut your losses.
    :sad20:

Mistakes happen. I understand that.

It's how those mistakes are handled, that separates a good business from a bad one.

Mrs. Safetech and I spent $1,000+ on this particular occasion, and after the sale, were treated like we were "a bother", to be "handled" until we just gave up.

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    Haven't been in many many years. It's about 15-20 minutes from me but I just rather drive 55-60 minutes to SLCFSA. Rain or shine, hot or cold shooting outside is just better. Work on the draw, speed, loading, you name it, just better outside at a place like SLCFSA.
    The 60 min drive for me is like a stroll aroung the block with all the driving I do for work. I know some guys think it's a long drive but it's a short drive to me.

annihilation-time

MOLON LABE
    Jun 14, 2010
    Hazzard County!
    I never had a problem with H&M's customer service. In fact, they were usually quite friendly.

A terrible selection, a range in need of some serious maintenance, and changing their ammunition policy because of competition are the reasons why I don't frequent there.

Freestate's not perfect, no business is, but they run a better business than Horst & McCain.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Haven't been there for years. The BS where you could only use TMJ and had to buy THEIR ammo (which sucked and was expensive) turned me off. The employees were always pleasant, though.

ridethemessiah

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2012
    Cecil County
    They like to charge you for something and not give it to you. We haven't been there for a couple years.

they like to charge you for a gun, ignore what gun it is you wanted (because you should want the gun they like, because they know what is best for you), order the wrong gun and snicker at you when you come to pick up the gun and tell them its wrong. Jonathan was just so damn nice and polite and willing to listen that I couldnt be an ass and demand my money back.

edit - just drive to white marsh and see dan at GC. No ********, he just gets it done and gets it done right.

chooks9

Bear with Arms
    Jan 3, 2013
    Abingdon
    I've had a mixed experience there.

The Good:
    -Well lit, if a little shabby. It's a place to hang targets and shoot.
    -Only had to wait an extended period once (45 minutes. Didn't mind. Talked to the F-I-L)
    -Used to have decent ammo (I liked when they had the German 9MM NATO stuff)
    -Used to be somewhat inexpensive if you went solo
    -"Range Captain" (older gentleman) helped me with a broken mag. He spent over 30 minutes trying to fix it. Not complaining there, he didn't have to.

The Not So Good
    -Heard rumors that it can be real busy at times due to classes on the range
    -Shabby equipment
    -Not that many guns to rent/for sale it seems (especially used. They can order new I guess)
    -Average prices I would say for guns. Once passed up an FN Vest Pocket .25 ACP there under $200.
    -Ammo rules. No Wolf/Tula or exposed lead. Not even .22LR.

The Bad
    -Range time cost.
    -A few of the employees have been a bit "holier than thou" at times in my opinion. There are a few there that I have dealt with that have been totally professional, but a few have been a bit condiscending/unprofessional/authoritative. A bit of a turn-off.

In any event, I haven't been there in about 6-7 months. I might go back, but I enjoy shooting in the great outdoors too much (even in Winter).

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    We never did hear the end story about their accused Wal-Mart fiasco.

All I know is that someone affiliated with H&M threatened the sporting goods mgr at the Fallston WM over a previous thread here which is why they, WM, are no longer allowed to post about their ammo stocks. The bad thing is the guy from WM was actually sort of defending them. For this reason, they'll never get any of my business. Plus the one time I was there it was a dump and they had the old ammo policy.

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    I have been to just about every indoor range in MD/PA.
    I haven't been back to this place in some time. ( Over a year )
    A couple of the people working there were out of line with myself and other customers.
    Examples:
    Giving a little to much of their personal opinions, making fun of customer shooting performance, trashing certain products that customers brought in and just telling fish tales in general.

There was a heavy set man in his 40's that really P O a few customers that I over heard comments of them never returning.

Just a personal opinion.

You just described most ranges in MD on any given day. It seems like they all hire from the same selection of winners.

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    Just my 2 cents. I shoot everywhere. I have never had any issues there. Perhaps not as high speed as some of the other ranges but it is what it is. Just a place to hang a target and ur gun. I know when I was there last I shit my own LEO ammo and they had no issues. Keep a open mind every place has its downfalls and every shooter has had a negative experience at a local range.

Just a thought before we openly bash a establishment. Perhaps we are just spoiled by our mds approved ranges.

Bet that hurt.:lol2: Sorry:lol2:

hooked073

Feb 19, 2013
    Cecil
    I shoot there a good bit. high power you need fragable ammo. I have realy never had a problem with them. buy most of my guns from them.

MauiWowie

I have the SIGness...
    Nov 23, 2008
    Harford Co.
    the owner used to be concerned with the amount of lead but found FREESTATE was letting people shoot most any ammo and he wanted to stay in business and wasn't able to bend over the community anymore with his hog wash story about lead

Fixed it for you :innocent0:D

4095fanatic

Paramagic
    Dec 3, 2010
    It is.

And as was said plenty of times in other threads, Horst blows. If you are affiliated with them, sorry for your luck. Every employee is a douchey, small d**k complex, shit talking, fish tale having, tac-tard humping, self righteous bag of Hillary Rodham Clinton's yeast infection.

Except a kid named Jonathan, he's cool. I like him.

Please, tell us how you really feel lol

Safetech

I open big metal boxes
    May 28, 2011
    Dundock
    Rob McCann was cool - when he was there. My deal, and overall experience with the place went downhill right after he left to go back to school.

Screw me once, shame on you. Screw me twice, shame on me.

Feb 28, 2013
    I've shot there when it was Gunpowder. It was a REAL dump then. It's a hell of a lot better now.

Then we get this crapola about the lead? Please...

One idiot there told FMJ was allowed but TMJ wasn't. Huh???!:stupid:

Apparently they did away with the lead crapola when Freestate opened. How convenient. I wonder if now they even allow small rifle calibers like .223.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom