• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • occbrian

Ultimate Member
    Jan 3, 2013
    in a cave
    Let us not forget that MoM does wield considerable power. $$$... Helping to decide what dems run unopposed in the primaries and who will not. He was the head of the democratic governors...

He has power within the Democratic Party. As I've said before, the threat of our action has to be greater than the threat of O'Malley's action.

gedelea

Spartan
    Jan 9, 2011
    Montgomery Co.
    You forgot us peewees :)

Seriously, we are all activists now. They oughtta be worried down there. We are learning.

Thanks to you for all you are doing down there Patrick!

I second SNI's statement "Patrick, Thanks for your guidance and tactical coordination efforts. " Great to finally get a chance to talk with you on Saturday.

Gregg

Multifaceted

Jerk of all Trades
    Jan 10, 2013
    Adams County, PA
    Let us not forget that MoM does wield considerable power. $$$... Helping to decide what dems run unopposed in the primaries and who will not. He was the head of the democratic governors...

He has power within the Democratic Party. As I've said before, the threat of our action has to be greater than the threat of O'Malley's action.

Personally, I think ol' Marty is more hat than he's got cattle. Everything he's done in office, from when he was the beer guzlin' geetar playin' mayor, to our enlightened governor -- he looks good on paper. Low information voters are oblivious, and the incumbent career politicians see him as a poster boy to sell the need for them to keep their comfy offices.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.

He is the chair not the head, and well they have no real power its a gab fest.

In the state as a king maker - that's up to us. We get to DINO when needed. We get to walk the halls of the state house and oppose bills what we do not like, gun bill or not.

We get to call a rep and ask their position on a bill so esoteric they never heard of it. In fact try that pick a bill that gets no press as ask them if they support it. When they ask who you are and why you are interested tell them that thanks to O'Malley's power grab you think they need to be watched more carefully, then see if the Governor stays popular. ;)

Just going DINO will make gerrymandering much more tricky. And I am thinking of more fun and games we can play at the federal level.

Stay in this game and we can change the basic rules of politics... :)

Last edited:

gedelea

Spartan
    Jan 9, 2011
    Montgomery Co.
    Lets not forget we have votes.

Marylanders of all walks won't want to vote for folks who are MOM's buddies after this gas tax and SB-281. We need to help condition voters not to vote on name recognition but to find the person who will be a true statesman and represent the people. Many times its not gonna be the guy with all the advertising.

duallyjams

Sep 28, 2008
    Deale Md
    Costa is my rep and neighbor and after many emails and phone calls from me this is the first time he has come out and said he is against the bill, maybe if he sent a reply that he was against it earlier or told his staff his position on the bill, well then he should expect to get hammered about it.

gmhowell

Not Banned Yet
    Nov 28, 2011
    Monkey County
    When this is all over, I'll gladly buy any of them a lemonade or a beer or whiskey or whatnot.

As long as they don't ask how the lemonade is made ;)

I know people are itching for post-session action. My phone is ringing off the hook, and lately about 50% are involving some sort of electoral fun.

And we mustn't forget there is another legislative session before the next election.

I openly joke about how this job is basically "herding cats". But in reality, it's more like calling in blind cover fire and hoping you don't get one landing on friendly forces.

I'd say it's just a step above trying to steer an unruly mob. (One of the steps being that the mob is generally ruly right now.)

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    ( Framing this by saying that on these Boards , I have often come across as somewhat of an NRA apoligist, and a Life Member for almost 40yrs )

Maryland is a Unique political environment .simply the mention of "NRA" is a lightening rod to the political establishment and the media, and will trigger a major pushback , and the usual forces will counter attack to demonize any cause or person so supported by the NRA. Sometimes this can be overcome , but will require efforts on defense that could have been used on offense for the underlieing person/ cause.

Having had the oppertunity of hearing Shannon at one of the SubCommittee hearings , she is indeed Outstanding in advocating for our Rights. She also would have been outstanding had she been affiliated with a small local group, or just as a private citizen.

In modern day Md , the NRA needs to either go really BIG , or stay invisable.

ezliving

Besieger
    Oct 9, 2008
    Undisclosed Secure Location

I think MOM is on Bloomberg's payroll, as is Vinnie and the other 5 paid lobbyists pushing #MDgungrab . This would not be happening without Bloomberg's money pushing it.

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    We got a big tent. Bigger than any of those political parties. Where else can you find a group of politically active people who stand shoulder to shoulder, with such diverse backgrounds and views?

I've seen the exact same thing, and I think that this is our greatest strength. If we were all Republicans, or all from the sticks, or all competitive shooters, or all any one thing, we'd be easily ignored. But diverse groups are inherently hard to ignore.

Two pieces of advice* got me started on this path to advocacy:

1. All politics is local.
    2. Work issues, not parties.

I really think that if we keep these two things in mind, we can change the state.

*Ironically, this was advice from spa good friend who favors gun control. One of these days, I need to take him out for a drink and thank him. :innocent0

Robert

Having Fun Yet?
    May 11, 2011
    AA County, MD
    My question is who is putting pressure on him? If they are his constituents so be it. If it is some of MOM's henchmen I'd love to call them till their ears start to ring.

The Democratic machine is where his is feeling BIG pressure.. Apparently they are not happy with him right now.

sessojb

Dec 29, 2011
    Churchton, MD
    http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/frmMain.aspx?pid=billpage&tab=subject3&id=hb1355&stab=01&ys=2013RS

Del. Costa sponsored a bill that would make it mandatory for a person seeking to purchase a firearm to receive a Certificate from a Physician, stating that they are mentally able to possess a firearm. Said certificate would have to have been written within 30 days of the purchase, thus making a mental evaluation necessary every month to continue expressing your second amendment rights.

EDIT: Wording

I sent him an email asking for some additional information and got nothing from him. I've sent him a few emails over the years but never received a response. I will not be supporting him in the future.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    The Democratic machine is where his is feeling BIG pressure.. Apparently they are not happy with him right now.

If they aren't happy with him, I am. We should show our support.

Crow Bait

Feb 9, 2013
    Hollywood, MD
    I wanted to think about this over night before posting, and I still go back to my initial reaction:

BOO HOO Delegate Costa... You got some emails and phone calls. Do a better job of communicating with your constituents, and you wouldn't have had to deal with them.

occbrian

Ultimate Member
    Jan 3, 2013
    in a cave
    Send this to him....

Attachments

• too damn high.jpg
      too damn high.jpg
      26.2 KB · Views: 105

ShafTed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 21, 2013
    Juuuuust over the line
    I've seen the exact same thing, and I think that this is our greatest strength. If we were all Republicans, or all from the sticks, or all competitive shooters, or all any one thing, we'd be easily ignored. But diverse groups are inherently hard to ignore.

Two pieces of advice* got me started on this path to advocacy:

1. All politics is local.
    2. Work issues, not parties.

I really think that if we keep these two things in mind, we can change the state.

*Ironically, this was advice from spa good friend who favors gun control. One of these days, I need to take him out for a drink and thank him. :innocent0

Better yet, do this right after you take him to the range and enlighten him. Maybe somewhere around 10 April might be a good day.

Parshooter

Silent Majority Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    East NC
    So delegate Robert Costa (R), a "solid" 2A supporter, has demanded the resignation and dismissal of our most effective advocates from the NRA. Sounds like he is from the McCain Camp:tdown: and apparently is a proud member of the circular firing squad they all engage in. "R" or not, he seems just another member of the expedient party...Someone enlighten me otherwise?

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    So delegate Robert Costa (R), a "solid" 2A supporter, has demanded the resignation and dismissal of our most effective advocates from the NRA. Sounds like he is from the McCain Camp:tdown: and apparently is a proud member of the circular firing squad they all engage in. "R" or not, he seems just another member of the expedient party...Someone enlighten me otherwise?

Let's adopt Watchful waiting. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cfreeman818

Latest threads

Top Bottom