• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drew_acid

Kreuzritter
    So just how concealed is CCW in MD ?

I ask this question as I have friends and business associates with MD permits who seem very casual in the manner they carry. Some use a serpa style holster and wear a shirt or sweatshirt to cover - but it often doesn't really cover.

Others carry more in an open style - especially noted getting in and out of a vehicle. Then open carry while in their business ( which of course is OK)

My thoughts are concealed is concealed and no one should know I am carrying.

What is the interpretation of the Maryland law?

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    Maryland law makes no distinction between Open and Concealed carry.

However, it's generally assumed that full OC in public would put your permit at great risk unless it was in the course of your jon.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    If a LEO sees a CCW Open Carrying or Brandishing, or is dispatched with a 911 call to a man with a gun, the MSP WILL revoke the carriers MD Permit if thew person isnt in some type of uniform (Guard, Armored Car, ect..). Off Duty Police Officers are expected to conceal in MD, so I wont expect a LEO to give a careless permit holder a pass.

The MSP has even informed Permit Holders when they get their card that they are to use caution and conceal their weapons when lawfully carrying.

People can quote MD Law and whatever but the fact is the MSP holds ALL of the cards and can revoke a MD Handgun permit (The Permit is the Property of the MSP). Try getting the MD Permit Review Board to reissue after they see a police report of the applicant brandishing a weapon. Wont happen.

Last edited:

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    If a LEO sees them or is dispatched with a 911 call to a man with a gun, the MSP WILL revoke their MD Permit if thew person isnt in some type of uniform (Guard, Armored Car, ect..). Off Duty Police Officers are expected to conceal in MD, so I wont expect a LEO to give a careless parmit holder a pass.

The MSP has even informed Permit Holders when they get their card that they are to use caution and conceal their weapons when lawfully carrying.

People can quote MD Law and whatever but the fact is the MSP holds ALL of the cards and can revoke a MD Handgun permit (The Permit is the Property of the MSP). Try getting the MD Permit Review Board to reissue after they see a police report of the applicant brandishing a weapon. Wont happen.

Pretty much exactly what I was told when I got mine years ago. Concealed means concealed, anything else and you're risking the loss of your permit.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    CCW is rare enough here that printing or flashing is likely to get you prostrate after LE shows up to sort things out, probably right before your permit gets revoked.

Let's say somebody is loud and animated while talking with homey on the cell phone while standing at a urinal in the men's room. Coat is flapping around with a pistol flashing from an inside pocket. This goes on while a uniformed Maryland LEO is standing one urinal over. When this non-hypothetical situation goes down, the more interesting thing is how the offender is shocked about being drawn on and commanded to the men's room floor, then arrested. Claiming "I'm working", even though he is, just doesn't cut it, CCW or not. Don't be "that guy".

SSSQuid

Oct 22, 2011
    Fort George G. Meade
    I just recently got my CCW/CPL from Michigan, I'm a Michigan resident and Stationed in MD with the Navy, and I was just wondering how exactly one gets a CCW in MD aside from being a LEO? I mean realistically, I've been on hear long enough to read enough people post that they have their MD CCW so its obviously not impossible.

Tootall

Feelings Hurter
    Oct 3, 2008
    AACO
    I just recently got my CCW/CPL from Michigan, I'm a Michigan resident and Stationed in MD with the Navy, and I was just wondering how exactly one gets a CCW in MD aside from being a LEO? I mean realistically, I've been on hear long enough to read enough people post that they have their MD CCW so its obviously not impossible.

do you carry large amounts of cash, have documented death threats or write scripts for drugs? if so you too can have a permit

booker

Apr 5, 2008
    Baltimore

http://icac.mdsp.org/downloads/Licensing_Application.pdf

All you need to know is on that form. Meet the requirements and pay the fees.

backnblack

Ultimate Member
    Nov 6, 2009

Be part of the .00001%

In other words...You Don't get one in MD.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

I had to do 4 years of medical school and 3 years of residency just to get my MD CCW.

Glaug-Eldare

BANNED!!!
    Jan 17, 2011
    I guess I'm tired of sitting on the sideline while the State continues to deny me my rights protected by the.US Constitution. I just donated to MSI.

Welcome to the party! Your post reminds me that I haven't contributed yet this month...time for a belated Christmas present!

SSSQuid

Oct 22, 2011
    Fort George G. Meade
    teratos said:
    I had to do 4 years of medical school and 3 years of residency just to get my MD CCW.

And I spend more than 15 months carrying and using in a war zone defending the constitution and I can't exercise the rights I fought, killed, and saw friends die for!!! And people wonder why I say that I can't wait to leave Maryland...no offense meant, hell my ancestors came over with lord Baltimore and settled near the patapsco in 1643.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    SSSQuid said:
    And I spend more than 15 months carrying and using in a war zone defending the constitution and I can't exercise the rights I fought, killed, and saw friends die for!!! And people wonder why I say that I can't wait to leave Maryland...no offense meant, hell my ancestors came over with lord Baltimore and settled near the patapsco in 1643.

You are 100% correct. You have given a lot for your Country, and it is insulting that the State doesn't feel you are responsible enough to carry for personal defense and that of your family. I thank you for your service, and hope this issue is rectified soon.

SSSQuid

Oct 22, 2011
    Fort George G. Meade
    teratos said:
    You are 100% correct. You have given a lot for your Country, and it is insulting that the State doesn't feel you are responsible enough to carry for personal defense and that of your family. I thank you for your service, and hope this issue is rectified soon.

Thank you!!

If the national reciprocity act ever passes(doubtful) I'll be GTG thanks to my home state of Michigan!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scooby225

Latest threads

Top Bottom