• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I wear Wrangler cargo pants. There's a little side pocket on the cargo pockets that my knife clips into. I have to hold down the side or I hear a tearing sound from the velcro that holds the pocket closed.

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    While I understand the reasoning, it seems like an inconvenient place to carry a knife (especially if your size could be described as "husky".) Mine is clipped to my pocket.

Besides, I'd have to fight the urge to say, every time I used it, "excuse me while I whip this out..."

:D

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    While I understand the reasoning, it seems like an inconvenient place to carry a knife (especially if your size could be described as "husky".) Mine is clipped to my pocket.

Besides, I'd have to fight the urge to say, every time I used it, "excuse me while I whip this out..."

:D

Not to mention the potential for spontaneous circumcision should your spring-assist accidentally unfold during withdrawl. :shocked4:

Zombie_013

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 30, 2011
    Germantown, MD
    knife carry

I carry this in my wallet. If I'm not going to work, I carry a folding Buck knife in a leather case on my belt.

Attachments

• IMG_0516.JPG
      IMG_0516.JPG
      100.6 KB · Views: 447
    • IMG_0517.JPG
      IMG_0517.JPG
      92.3 KB · Views: 483

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Odd - Ernest Emerson doesn't seem to think that clipping a knife in a pocket is a bad way of carrying one.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    I usually wear carpenter jeans with lots of pockets, so in various pockets and "attachment" locations (up to three at once). I carry them however is comfortable and secure, but not in a way to impede quick access.

bluedog46

Ultimate Member
    Jan 2, 2011
    I carry mine in my right ( strong hand) front pocket. IN all fairness I worked a bit of ranching and did some rodeo in college so I am used to getting to mine quicker than many people. Since I have had my Concealled carry ( Delaware and Florida non-res) I also carry another one on my left front pocket.

Why?

In case I feel someone going for my gun I can grab the other knife to keep them from taking my gun.

RobMoore

The Mad Scientist
    Feb 10, 2007
    QA
    If someone is going to sneak up behind me, why are they going to chance their surprise plan of keeping me from getting to my knife, or taking it, instead of just stabbing me from the getgo with the knife they already brought to the fight? I doubt some unarmed scoundrel is going to see me walking by, notice the clip on my pocket, and think "Score, there is one of those knife things I've been having the damnedest time finding. I'll spring an elaborate trap to obtain his".

Front pocket, tip up.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    In the same place i would have a gun...4 o'clock inside my waistband. If im spooked, my hand automatically goes there anyway. If i'm in a parking lot, walking the dog, or somewhere where situational awareness is on a higher alert, it's usually in my hand in my pocket of my coat. I'm comfortable enough with general fight stuff that i could get by if i couldn't get to my knife right away. I generally expect to react without access to an edged weapon to most attacks and feel it's a luxury if i have enough time to get it. I feel like if my knife isn't already in my hand(like it is on elevated alert situations), i could do more for myself, quicker, by reacting bare-hand than by slowing myself down and taking one arm out of the initial confrontation by grabbing my knife. It's there when i'm ready though.

2SAM22

Moderator Emeritus
    Apr 4, 2007
    There were several people in the class myself included wearing the knife clipped inside a pocket. As training went on the instructor would without notice remove the knife from a student, advertising the clip lead it to be used on you or anyone else, or just stolen. Next…again without notice while other training was going on the instructor approached from behind pinning your arms to your side pulling you to the ground. With the knife in your pocket or clipped to a pocket, your range of motion could not get to it. Now, same example with knife in the waist band...the range of motion from my elbows down allowed extraction of the knife and be used on assailants arms and lower extremities. I’m sure there is no perfect way to carry and be prepared for every situation and seeing the example played out in real time was more impactful for me to change. I am sure there are cons to this carry as well, as I am not by any means a tactical expert. I was interested in others reasons for carrying the way they do.

If this instructor carries a concealed firearm where does he carry it that would allow him access in this same situation?

NHaze

Mar 15, 2011
    Shepherdstown, WV
    Tip up weak side front pocket. Mostly for utility and comfort, my knife is a little on the thick side and doesn't play well with my phone in my right front pocket. I don't expect to go for my knife in a "sneak" attack situation - I don't have the training to make this reflexive.

If someone grabs me from behind I'll be stomping feet, kicking shins, every dirty trick I know to get out of reach.

But really I carry the knife cause its sharp and it will cut things. :)

Sent from my Droid

Kilroy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2011
    If someone grabs you from behind, that isn't the time to go for your knife. It's too late. That's when you bust out some jiu-jutsu skills and break one or two of the bad guy's body parts. Would have been hilarious if one of the students did a drop seoi nage instead of struggling to get to their knife. Don't get stuck in the "My knife/gun is my self-defense" mindset. Your brain is your weapon, use whatever you have available.

RNGJeep

Feb 5, 2012
    Howard County
    Self-defense is pretty far down the list of reasons I carry a knife, but you'd be pretty lucky if you caught me without a folder of some sort riding in my left front pocket no matter where I am. If it's a woods day then add an ESEE 3mil on the belt and a larger fixed blade in the pack.

Marylandfisherman

Self Aware
    Nov 10, 2011
    If someone grabs you from behind, that isn't the time to go for your knife. It's too late. That's when you bust out some jiu-jutsu skills and break one or two of the bad guy's body parts. Would have been hilarious if one of the students did a drop seoi nage instead of struggling to get to their knife. Don't get stuck in the "My knife/gun is my self-defense" mindset. Your brain is your weapon, use whatever you have available.

That video looks like an "I had 2 minutes to prepare for this guy to take me down, and failed" kinda thing.

Walk up to me like that, and odds are my hand is already on whatever tool is in my pocket, so I am ready to use it on you. Never met a guy with 3 arms to be able to come up behind me and grab both arms AND choke me out....

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Right front pocket, tip up. Left front has a Surefire Backup flashlight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom