• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • K Train

PARATROOPER
    Jul 25, 2008
    FREEEEEE AT LAST!!!
    we were talking at work today and someone brought up the question, 'how does a business purchase a firearm?' for whatever reason, like buying a work truck they want to buy a work gun, how does the business go about doing it? how is the background check performed?

not a FFL, but a regular business

jjbduke2004

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2008
    Morris Oblast, NJ SSR
    I wondered the same thing for when I move up north to work in NJ. I wondered if trusts worked for NFA, then couldn't I live in NJ and have land in PA and a Pennsylvania corporation to own the good stuff?

Apparently, unless the business is an FFL, a 4473 must be filled out by an individual purchaser. The trust/corporation thing only works for NFA.

K Train

PARATROOPER
    Jul 25, 2008
    FREEEEEE AT LAST!!!
    I wondered the same thing for when I move up north to work in NJ. I wondered if trusts worked for NFA, then couldn't I live in NJ and have land in PA and a Pennsylvania corporation to own the good stuff?

Apparently, unless the business is an FFL, a 4473 must be filled out by an individual purchaser. The trust/corporation thing only works for NFA.

Yeh i was coming to the same conclusion but couldn't find any documentation

jjbduke2004

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2008
    Morris Oblast, NJ SSR
    I only googled and found something on a gunboard, but I've never seen a legal reference. Maybe they extend the courtesy to NFA since a tax has to be paid every time it changes hands. By having a corporate owner, you can change owners of the corporation without it legal changing hands.

I summon Novus.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    we were talking at work today and someone brought up the question, 'how does a business purchase a firearm?' for whatever reason, like buying a work truck they want to buy a work gun, how does the business go about doing it? how is the background check performed?

not a FFL, but a regular business
    From form 4473:

When the buyer of a firearm is a corporation, company, association, partnership, or other such business entity, an officer authorized to act on behalf of the business must complete Section A, and attach a written statement, executed under penalties of perjury, stating: (A) the firearm is being acquired for the use of and will be the property of that business entity and (B) the name and address of that business entity. If the buyer's name in question 1. is illegible the seller must print the buyer's name above the name written by the buyer.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    And I am not sure, but I believe a NICS check is done on the person who filled out the form. The difference I believe is if the person is not a resident of that state but the business is located in that state, the person acting as an officer of the business can still purchase a handgun or some such for that business from the FFL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom