• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rayg5102

Apr 12, 2009
    Frederick
    OK, been trying to follow on the ffl thing. This is my first gun, my first buy.

I've found a new FFl on line in VA that for aruguments sake wants $550 + $20ship/hand for an XDM. Thats' almost 100 less then anywhere I've seen around here. I figure tax and FFL fee are a wash

Now what, I just locate an FFL here in MD near Frederick, who will work with me? Say he want $50.. it would cost me 550 +20 + 50 +10 (Iassume for MD fee) $630 complete. No more MD tax or hidden tax?

So just need to find the better transfer fee in order to keep the price down?

Is there any "problems" to be aware of? Sounds like this is done all the time and should not be any real problems.

Should I be worried? Should I stay away?

Help a newbie out...

Papi4baby

WWJBD
    May 10, 2009
    California
    Look for a FFL with a better fee.

But yes, you will have to pay the fee, most likely the 10 bucks for MSP(depends on FFL) and taxes on his fees not the gun.

50 is not bad i guess, as long as everything is included, so call an ask him what all the fees are.

MauiWowie

I have the SIGness...
    Nov 23, 2008
    Harford Co.
    Now what, I just locate an FFL here in MD near Frederick, who will work with me? Say he want $50.. it would cost me 550 +20 + 50 +10 (Iassume for MD fee) $630 complete. No more MD tax or hidden tax?

the $50 should include the $10 MSP fee but not always...
    be sure to check about the tax! One FFL here in my town charges 6% tax on all guns weather he sold it to you or not. (rip off)
    Also consider the MD internal lock which is around $20 ish (MD law)

So just need to find the better transfer fee in order to keep the price down?

Yes my FFL charges $40 but others like Dan at Gun Connection charges $35 TOTAL including MSP fee. NO TAX for them either. But remember there is a fee for the internal lock around $20ish

Is there any "problems" to be aware of? Sounds like this is done all the time and should not be any real problems.

I would stick with reputable FFL's that transfer alot. Otherwise you will be waiting days and days for them to send their FFL to the seller. And some will not transact with NON-FFL's which is a PIA.

Should I be worried? Should I stay away?
    always be alittle cautious when spending hundreds of dollars on something site unseen and to someone you don't know from the guy down the street. I've bought 8 guns online with some shipping issues but thank god I have a GREAT FFL that is on the ball every step of the way!

Don't stay away just be cautious

Help a newbie out...

I just did... my last piece of advise: MAKE SURE IF THE GUN IS NEW IT HAS A MANUFACTURERS FIRED SHELL CASING REQUIRED BY LAW IN MARYLAND!!!!
    Used pistol no worries its not needed because only new guns are used by criminals......

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Jessup Coin and pawn is the best I know, up to $50 but better than some of the others charging $75. Gun Connection is also regarded highly but I havent done business with them personally.

twtyrant

Jan 7, 2009
    Luke AFB
    I'd check out Gun Connection. Nice guys and pretty cheap too.

Of course, if you bought my gun you would be saving yourself 30 or so dollars. :innocent0 Just messing with you.

rayg5102

Apr 12, 2009
    Frederick
    Maui...thanks for the detailed info. Helps a lot.
    Twtyrant...if it was all black, could've had a sale.........thanks anyway

yes this is a new gun, and I was just guessing at the $50 mark. I've seen them all over the place.

Will check with some of those like Gun Connections to see what they charge.

The purchasing agent in me just needs to get the best deal.........

again thanks for the help guys

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    Like Maui said be sure it has a fired shell caseing. Other wise it can not be transfered to you.

You'll be spending a lot more on transfer fees and return shipping

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom