How important is it to get an accurate powder charge?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I work up a safe load. Then I get the measure to throw that charge. I just run that charge volume, periodically checking during loading, changing it only if a new canister of that powder is heavier and beyond maximum levels. If powder from a new canister throws a slightly different but safe charge weight, I run it. This method had proven sound highly consistent and accurate loads for many years. Some of those loads are even used as control loads.

Example: A favorite 45 ACP load of a 200 grain SWC, usually lead, and 4.3 grains of Bullseye. Over time I know a new canister of powder will throw 4.2 - 4.4 grains (given the 0.1 grain tolerance). As a matter of fact, I list the load as ''4.2 - 4.4 grains Bullseye''. Given quality components, that load will shoot tighter than 1.25 inches at 25 yards, given past group testing, a capable pistol and just shooting it. The accuracy is lost in the shooter and the gun.

The cartridges, powders and charges I use don't make any difference in a 0.05 grain variation. Heck, my measure has 0.1 grain precision, my scales (mechanical and electronic) have 0.1 precision so 0.05 grain variation won't be seen. I wouldn't use a powder that sensitive anyway.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    BTW, when you work up loads, 0.75 - 1.0% increments work well.

0.2 will be too small for large capacity cases, and too large for small capacity cases.

Also, if you use the OCW method of developing your load, small variations from the optimum charge weight, will not make huge differences.

Last edited:

Hippy

Mar 11, 2008
    Frostburg Md
    With the exception of Small (Hornet) cases if the charge has to be THAT precise U R better off trying a more forgiving powder.
    204- 22- 250-270 Winc that are several rifle cartridges I load for the selected powders can vary as much as +/- .3 gr and will still shoot accurately.

I have used other powders that may give me a tenth or two better accuracy but the load window is smaller.

I do ALL my load development at the range by knowing the min/max setting for that particular powder I have NEVER had a issue - I have used this method successfully on cartridges from 17 Remington to 8MM Mag

Good Luck

Jim

drive_accord_ingly

Aug 1, 2007
    MoCo
    Now, is it important within say .05 gr? No, and certainly not within .02 gr (or whatever sensitivity your ridiculously expensive and accurate digital scale is capable of). Can the average occasional shooter even see a difference if the throw was off by even a gr or two...probably not....

I agree.

I can split hairs with the best of 'em. And the old adage goes "if you put anything under a microscope, you will find some flaws" apply here.

I understand and very much appreciate the importance of vigilance and safety, but where to draw the line. When do you cease being a careful reloaded and start to kill the sport with analysis paralysis?

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    I agree.

I can split hairs with the best of 'em. And the old adage goes "if you put anything under a microscope, you will find some flaws" apply here.

I understand and very much appreciate the importance of vigilance and safety, but where to draw the line. When do you cease being a careful reloaded and start to kill the sport with analysis paralysis?[/QUOTE]

When is accuracy good enough? The answer to all these questions is it depends on the person and their individual goals so everyone has to make their own judgment call. The right answer is always the one that lets you sleep soundly every night.

Last edited:

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    4) particulates can throw off the real weight of the powder charge
    5) real case volume, And consequently the powder to oxygen ratio can vary due to the above factors. This is especially important in compressed loads like the .308 or .223.

So how important is actual slight variances in powder charge weight ( I mean in terms of 0.1 grains or less ) when charging cases with powder?

4- keep your shit clean and particulates will not be an issue of any significance.

5- BS, smokeless powder is self oxidizing.

To answer the meat of the question: unless you are A- pushing the safety envelope and/or B- shooting 600 or more yards in competition most people will not notice a +/- .2gr charge difference in rifles. In fact most people can't shoot well enough to notice it.

C&RTactical

Jul 24, 2013
    I personally would not lose sleep over ≤.1 variance. My friends make themselves and maybe me annoyed about it, but I realistically do not. This along with other variables will obviously compound or be the main thing that changes accuracy. Though I would see how your skills as a shooter affect accuracy with just basic reloading practices. Breaking out the finer adjustments may lead to a huge reduction of investment due to above mentioned shooter skill and maybe even the gun itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom