How long before Ruger SR1911 avail. in MD?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Moreover, if I was going to buy a 1911 it would not be a ruger. In that price area - i'd grab a sig. Caspian makes the frame and slide as i recall.

Caspian used to make those parts, SIG now makes them according to various reports.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Any word on if they took action at the June 21st meeting?

Well, the most recent version of the online Maryland Register is 6/17. It seems to come out every 2 weeks, so we have another week to wait for the report there.

I think the regulated dealers will get a listing of what was approved, tabled and denied in short time. It takes a few days for a government body to create their document and then distribute it.

Trumpet

SCSC/NRA life member. MSI member
    Oct 29, 2005
    And ruger was doing what it did best when they made your GP. Beefy revolvers and .22 target pistols AND 10/22s

Moreover, if I was going to buy a 1911 it would not be a ruger. In that price area - i'd grab a sig. Caspian makes the frame and slide as i recall.

And Ruger (pinetree) does the casting for Caspian

Maryland Hunter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2008
    Is there any way to get all of the 1911's through automatically since they're all the same format? Seems silly to have to run each one through the HGB as they're all clones of one another.

MH

Trumpet

Oct 29, 2005
    Especially since it classifies "assault weapons" that way. What's good for the goose...

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    I don't know if the pro 2A people here would want to risk a law suit. It would be interesting to use that logic in a state court. The state considers all AR's the same, why not all 1911s. What about copies of a S&W revolver?

Maryland Hunter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2008
    To be honest, I would think that the HGB would want it that way. Why waste their time testing essentially the same gun over and over again, knowing that it going to be approved? 1911A1? Yeah we've already done that. Approved.

That was easy.

MH

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    To be honest, I would think that the HGB would want it that way. Why waste their time testing essentially the same gun over and over again, knowing that it going to be approved? 1911A1? Yeah we've already done that. Approved.

That was easy.

MH

The issue is that the board considers every new handgun as being suspect until THEY inspect it and test fire it and approve it. The Board is there to protect you and I from bad handguns. I honestly got that impression from a phone conversation with Ms Jenkins a year or two ago.

It is funny, the state thinks we need someone to approve handguns, keeping "bad" ones away from us, but they don't try to limit automobiles or other items. There are cars that the Insurance Institute gives bad rating to, why not ban them from sale in MD? /rant off

Remember, the regulated long arm list doesn't approve or disapprove any firearms, it just places additional restriction on certain firearms.

clarkcondor

Mar 29, 2011
    Catonsville
    To be honest, I would think that the HGB would want it that way. Why waste their time testing essentially the same gun over and over again, knowing that it going to be approved? 1911A1?

MH

There is no logic. Even less so is the need to individually approve all different calibers of one specific model. I recently wanted to buy an out of production Browning Hi Power in .30 which is not on the list but the 9mm and .40S&W are. Still would need to submit the petition, gun (need to buy it first and have a dealer submit to the board) and supporting documentation to demonstrate it is the same as the ones on the approved list. Then just maybe in 6-9 months you (your dealer or FFL) can get it back and proceed with paperwork. Now how much would any particular dealer charge to do this for an individual for a gun with no future sales potential?

Last edited:

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Hi-Point has 5 approved guns. The board must not be doing a good job. :innocent0

Someone on the state level realizes that IF they do not approve any low end handguns, then the concept of the board would face legal challenge and the state most likely under Heller.

There is no logic. Even less so is the need to individually approve all different calibers of one specific model. I recently wanted to buy an out of production Browning Hi Power in .30 which is not on the list but the 9mm and .40S&W are. Still would need to submit the petition, gun (need to buy it first and have a dealer submit to the board) and supporting documentation to demonstrate it is the same as the ones on the approved list. Then just maybe in 6-9 months you (the dealer) can get it back and proceed with paperwork. Now how much would any particular dealer charge to do this for an individual for a gun with no future sales potential?

When were the .30 BHP's made? If before 1/1/1985, then they do not need to be approved.

Second, a dealer doesn't have to submit a gun, you can.

from what I was told, MSP can receive the handgun from either a gun maker or a MD FFL, acting as your transfer dealer.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Someone on the state level realizes that IF they do not approve any low end handguns, then the concept of the board would face legal challenge and the state most likely under Heller.

I think it's vulnerable anyway. I can make a long list of very high end target pistols not approved in this state. The distributors are not willing to ship a $2,000 pistol for the state government to play with, and an ordinary citizen can't get one without an FFL.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    I think it's vulnerable anyway. I can make a long list of very high end target pistols not approved in this state. The distributors are not willing to ship a $2,000 pistol for the state government to play with, and an ordinary citizen can't get one without an FFL.

The issue is that being able to get a handgun that allows you to compete in the Olympics isn't a Constitutionally guaranteed right.

I will say that even CA has an exemption to their rules for handguns meant for Olympic and other styles of competition.

What we need someone to push is two amendments. One to the handgun board law and the other to the integral lock law. The amendment to the handgun board law would be simple, have the handgun board ask the NSSF and the ISSF what makes and models of handguns are approved and have been approved for the last 10 years. Then 2x a year after, the board gets info on any new handguns being used. Blanket approve all of these handguns.

The integral lock law would then just need to be amended to allow these handguns to be sold without any integral lock of any type.

Got a first look at the SR1911 yesterday courtesy of the good folks at Gun Connection. I asked if they had heard anything about when it would hit the roster, and after saying probably Oct. 1, they showed me the single copy they'd gotten from their distributor. Now I definitely want one. Beautiful piece, has all the features I want and none I don't, and the price is definitely right - you couldn't build the gun for the price, not by a long shot. Dan says it's virtually an all-Caspian gun, and since Ruger stuck pretty much to the basic 1911 design that's been around since the stone age he doesn't expect it to be recalled. All you who disagree, that's just fine with me - it means I'll get mine sooner.

They also showed me one of the new, mid-grade gussied up Remington R-1s. Nice gun, too, but I believe I'll go with the Ruger.

Paul

Trumpet

Oct 29, 2005
    Got a first look at the SR1911 yesterday courtesy of the good folks at Gun Connection. I asked if they had heard anything about when it would hit the roster, and after saying probably Oct. 1, they showed me the single copy they'd gotten from their distributor. Now I definitely want one. Beautiful piece, has all the features I want and none I don't, and the price is definitely right - you couldn't build the gun for the price, not by a long shot. Dan says it's virtually an all-Caspian gun, and since Ruger stuck pretty much to the basic 1911 design that's been around since the stone age he doesn't expect it to be recalled. All you who disagree, that's just fine with me - it means I'll get mine sooner.

They also showed me one of the new, mid-grade gussied up Remington R-1s. Nice gun, too, but I believe I'll go with the Ruger.

Paul

Sorta the other way around. Ruger owns Pinetree castings and Pinetree makes Caspian's stuff.

I'm pretty stoked for this pistol though. This may be the last "factory"/non-custom 1911 I buy....

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ObsidianCC

Latest threads

Top Bottom