How long has Mitchell's Mausers been around?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gatornick

Apr 6, 2013
    I've got a guy at work that says he wants to sell a Mauser he has had for 20+ years. Was Mitchell's around then? Everything i read here and elsewhere says stay away from them, and I know nothing about Mausers. I probably won't get to see it for a couple more weeks, so I do have plenty of time to research it more. I'm more partial to Mosins, but if it ends up being a decent deal I might try collecting something new. He wants $300, which sounds like a good price if it isn't sporterized or a Mitchell's.

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    The only thing I have heard is that they aren't "genuine" in certain aspects. But I have heard they were good shooters, and everyone I have seen has looked very nice. If you are getting into collecting, maybe pass if it's a Mitchell, but if will be a wall hanger/range toy, it may be worth it.

herkybird72

2A Defender
    Dec 1, 2011
    Freedomland,NC
    The only thing I have heard is that they aren't "genuine" in certain aspects. But I have heard they were good shooters, and everyone I have seen has looked very nice. If you are getting into collecting, maybe pass if it's a Mitchell, but if will be a wall hanger/range toy, it may be worth it.

They are excellent safe shooters. A friend has one and it shoots great. I have read for years the comments concerning their RC German 98k's being "fakes" etc. which no one has ever proven or taken them to court on so I withhold judgement on collectability

gatornick

Apr 6, 2013
    Thanks for the responses. I think I am going to take the next couple weeks to research everything Mauser so at least I can make an informed decision. From what I have read so far I do think I will stay away from it if its a Mitchell's, but we shall see.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Consider every MM a reproduction. Warnings from professional dealers go back at least a decade in regards to dubious markings, scrubbed and re-stamped serial numbers, re-bluing, re-stocking, etc. It's a similar story to a rifle company having something in common with the Bee Gees.

why2kmax

Jacka$$
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury PA
    oh and now they are selling Authentic Russian Mosin sniper rifles for $800 (hurry they wont, last, there are no more)

And to top that, "Military Surplus" magazine did an article on the Mosin 91/30 PU in their newest issue, and went to Mitchells for the rilfle to do the story!!

HOW does a mag dedicated to Milsurp and C&R guns go to the biggest maker of Fake guns, and biggest destroyer of collectibility of anything/everything of any historical value they touch??

Wouldnt that be like SAF and MSI going to Owe Malley and Frosh for pro-gun legal advice?

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    oh and now they are selling Authentic Russian Mosin sniper rifles for $800 (hurry they wont, last, there are no more)

And to top that, "Military Surplus" magazine did an article on the Mosin 91/30 PU in their newest issue, and went to Mitchells for the rilfle to do the story!!

HOW does a mag dedicated to Milsurp and C&R guns go to the biggest maker of Fake guns, and biggest destroyer of collectibility of anything/everything of any historical value they touch??

Wouldnt that be like SAF and MSI going to Owe Malley and Frosh for pro-gun legal advice?

Let me be the first to guess ... Mitchell's advertises with them?

• Mitchell's Mausers and Mickey Mouse have the same initials.
    • "Maus" is "Mouse" in German.

Coincidence? I think NOT! :rolleyes:

Feb 28, 2013
    They are excellent safe shooters. A friend has one and it shoots great. I have read for years the comments concerning their RC German 98k's being "fakes" etc. which no one has ever proven or taken them to court on so I withhold judgement on collectability

Hate is rampant on the interwebz towards Mitchell's. I've seen plenty of it lately while deciding on a certain K98.

From a collector's point of view, Mitchell's rifles are fake without a doubt, with some degree of misrepresentation regarding serial numbers, but given the type of refurbishment that they do, that is to be expected.

Apparently, the Germans did NOT use chrome bolts at any time. My father has a rifle that looks just the ones on Mitchells' website, so it's likely one of theirs. It's a pretty gun and probably shoots well. But it lacks the historic value.

In fairness though, if Mitchell's would only rebuild the rifles the way the Germans originally produced them, I think I would buy one from them myself.

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011

I know this is an ancient thread, but MM defaces Russian Capture stamps, then grinds off Russian Capture serials before re-stamping them with "matching" german-style serials. They're fake as all hell, but the clever used-car salesman language in their ads has been enough to save them from lawsuits while still selling to unknowing folks.

They should shoot well - my RC does.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom