How much clearance is enough re:scope to receiver?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sev89

Dreams about cheese
    Nov 4, 2010
    Anatomy Park
    Never really had to worry about this up to this point, but, I have a Bushmaster BA50 in .50 BMG. Mounted on top of it is a Nightforce Benchrest scope in a Larue Tactical mount. The initial spot on the receiver where the scope was mounted, left a gap between the bell of the scope and the receiver rail so small, that a business card wouldn't fit in between the two. I've mounted it further forward to (hopefully) solve this issue, but the question remains; How much clearance between the scope bell and receiver is considered enough on a big bore rifle?

Attachments

• tempImageqd2Gqq.png
      tempImageqd2Gqq.png
      943.2 KB · Views: 81
    • tempImage0qZYQ7.png
      tempImage0qZYQ7.png
      698 KB · Views: 83

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    I don’t have anything that recoils and booms like a fifty, but I consider it good to go if I can see daylight through the gap. Your picture looks fine to me.

However, by moving the scope forward to correct this issue, have you created a new issue in relation to your cheek weld and the scopes eye relief?

Sev89

Dreams about cheese
    Nov 4, 2010
    Anatomy Park
    However, by moving the scope forward to correct this issue, have you created a new issue in relation to your cheek weld and the scopes eye relief?

I -think- I’m fine in that regard. I still get good cheek weld, and only have to move my head forward by an inch or so to get clear sight picture.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    To receiver, you should be fine. It does not move like the barrel itself. I'd be much more worried about scope to barrel clearance and you have no issue there. Your scope is mounted pretty far rearward, I'd not be concerned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom