• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jun 27, 2012
    Hey guys, quick question. I am thinking about buying some Hogue wood grips for my Taurus 608 .357 revolver that I just bought. Question is this.. I like the looks of the kingwood with finger grooves but no checkering. How much does checkering really help with grip?

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    It depends on your hand strength, grip/shooting stance, bore axis, and the ammunition you're shooting.

It's a personal preference thing. The old S&W checkered grips work very well for me, so do the rubber Pachmayr/Hogue grips. I have only seen smooth grips on more BBQ-gun type revolvers.

I like some grip to my pistols. Everything I have is wrapped in Hogues, G10 rough texture or rough polymer like my Glock RTF2.

Heist

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 10, 2012
    MD/DC/NYC
    I agree with everything Smores mentioned and will add that if you like shooting with gloves on, checkering is sort of moot.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I hate checkering and stippling. I want a smooth grip and a serrated trigger.

Jerry Muculek shoots the same way from what I understand. I do too when possible.

I have very strong hands, and they are not soft and checkering makes me uncomfortable.

Jun 27, 2012
    So, what the two of you are saying is wood grips with checkering definitely gives more grip than without, but for function over looks, I would be best served to get the rubber grips? I just REALLY like the looks of the wood grips, but don't want to get them at the cost of function either..

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    So, what the two of you are saying is wood grips with checkering definitely gives more grip than without, but for function over looks, I would be best served to get the rubber grips? I just REALLY like the looks of the wood grips, but don't want to get them at the cost of function either..

Rubber grips snag on clothing of you CCW, or open carry.

Jun 27, 2012
    Good point clandestine, but I have zero intention of this being a carry gun... 8 round cylinder, 6.5" barrel, 51 ounces...

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Good point clandestine, but I have zero intention of this being a carry gun... 8 round cylinder, 6.5" barrel, 51 ounces...

It's really preference. Clandestine and I disagree. I like rough grips and smooth triggers, lol. I have "grippy" grips and have OC'd and CC'd, never had a problem with the Hogues especially. The RTF2 on my Glock could be a little snaggy but it kind of held my shirt in place while OC'ing (tucking my shirt behind the grip) and while CC'ing I never had an issue.

Grips are relatively inexpensive, unless you go with fancy materials/checkering patterns. I literally have an entire duffel bag filled with grips, holsters, slings, and other gear I've tried but over time have replaced with things I liked better.

The best way is to find people who have different grips, or try it out. It's like a pair of shoes, who wears the same style of shoe for 20-30 years? Some people like Chucks (myself included) but they're not for everyone. Give a few grip types a shot, see what you like. Revolver grips are typically secured by a single screw through the center, you can easily swap them out. :thumbsup:

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    On my S&W N-frame .357, I prefer the Hogue - odds of me carrying it realistically are very slim to none. The wood was nice, but the checkering didn't feel great to me.

I'll agree that checkering seems to be more personal preference.

I find myself in the same position as Clandestine, I prefer smooth grips and some type of texture on the trigger. I work with my hands, so I have no issue hanging onto a firearm.

Mt Airy

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2010
    Frederick county
    on 1911 I like Vz Recons or operator II both are very aggressive on Smith N frames I like the stock grips .
    Grips are a cheap mod buy some and have fun ,see what you like . There are many boot companys out there everybody like something different.
    go have some fun.

The stock S&W grips can be a little big for some there are so many others to pick from go have fun order some up .

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    I hate checkering and stippling. I want a smooth grip and a serrated trigger.

Jerry Muculek shoots the same way from what I understand. I do too when possible.

I have very strong hands, and they are not soft and checkering makes me uncomfortable.

jm625[1].jpg

Yeahhhh. His 625 smith offered gives me a woody. We had some roll through the shop and they were always real comfortable. I always thought the rubberized hogue grips were the way to go till I picked the jm up. It would definately carry easier than the stock grips on a 686.

RobMoore

The Mad Scientist
    Feb 10, 2007
    QA
    With a proper grip, you should be able to soak your hands in oil and still control the gun through rapid fire.

I'm not a fan of aggressive checkering because it digs into my hands and keeps me from making fine adjustments. I also hate finger grooves because they are one size fits one. For most hands, they break your natural grip up.

One place where people tend to go wrong in gripping the gun is in the wrist. They squeeze the hell out of it with their hands, but have limp wrists. Grip no harder than you would a business handshake, but make the angle of your wrists unbreakable.

Jun 27, 2012
    Lots of good points here. Although the variance of opinions/preferences I think has made my decision of what to try even harder! I do know my hands sweat more than average.

Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    I prefer a stippled grip (Sig E2) with skateboard grip tape on the front of the grip so I have a 360 grip. I can grasp the weapon with both my weak hand or strong and it stays. Since the grip is not rubber, it does not get caught on clothing and the stippling keeps the weapon in my hand even when wet. I have not tried the oiled grip but I will the next time I'm at the range, I will assume it is to duplicate the consistency of blood. Chris

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    It is personal preference. I sweat badly and have no problem with smooth grips. I shoot with both smooth and checkered grips. Neither one have an effect on my shooting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom