• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tcc722

Jul 3, 2010
    PA
    Anyone have a good idea of how much 308 i can get for 300 rnds of 556 AE brass cased? Asking for a friend

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Depending on which 308, it's almost the same price on gunbroker. I'm getting about $1.25/rd for both.

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    It's not hoarding if there's still room to store it.

Now excuse me while I finish excavating a new bunker.

jollymon

Dec 6, 2016
    Now in Tennessee ,
    I keep watching places that sell ammo on line and I'm applaud at what there charging. To quote Gunnery Sargent Hartman
    " They don't have the common courtesy to give you a Reach around "

Last edited:

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    Depends. If you’re buying ammo to hoard and create a stockpile that you’ll never use, then too much is a few boxes per caliber. If you’re one who actually shoots to practice, train, and hunt a lot with your ammo(and even come off of some for friends to help them out), then you can never have enough.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Dunno. I am hoping I'll live long enough that I am offloading a lot of stuff to my kids a few years before I kick it and all they have to go through is a small safe with a couple of guns and a little bit of ammo. I sure as heck hope I am lucky enough in life I am concerned about overflowing my gun room with stuff long before that and just downsizing in my 70s in to my 80s.

Being in my late 30s though...

Anyway, emotionally, no. I do not have enough. Realistically I do. Its possible the ammo market will never recover, but that is going to require legislation to do that. Otherwise it will. It might be 6 or 12 months before the recovery starts in earnest, but it will eventually. It might take 3 or 4 years to recover fully and significant shocks could cause it to back slide hard.

That being said, I have enough I could sit back and not sweat it for 3 or 4 years and start acquiring stuff again once the market is completely recovered. I don't think I'll wait that long before I start trickle buying stuff to replace some of what I've shot. But the only ammo I've bought in >6 months was a couple of boxes of the new Winchester M855 because I was curious to try it out a few weeks ago, rather than needing it bad. Otherwise I think the last time I bought ammo was maybe back in May or June I picked up some oddball calibers that hadn't inflated in price yet (some Makarov, 32acp and I think I got a few boxes of Tula 30 carbine). No plans to get anything else. I've been on the hunt for CCI Suppressor 22lr because it shoots really well in my 10/22 and guess what, I've got a suppressor sooooo...sadly my suppressor cleared NFA jail back in May and I was to dumb to stock up a ton of subsonic stuff (I DID get some. Enough to last me a few years of hunting using the 42gr Winchster subsonic HP I have since I've got like 4 or 5 boxes of it, plus 600+ rounds of LRN subsonic). I think though even if I could find it I am not willing to pay $10-15 for a 50 round box of 22lr.

Once I run dry of my reloading supplies, that's when I'll be concerned. But even then I've got a few years of factory ammo I can shoot before I'd run dry as I am shooting almost all reloads right now (except some limited testing with factory ammo compared to a reload, or for hunting). Though I've got enough guns in enough calibers that the worst that happens is I stop shooting something because I only have a couple of hundred rounds of ammo for it.

The whole situation has convinced me that I need a bit more of a stockpile once the market has recovered for the next time it goes nuts again. Maybe not 2-3x as much. But certainly a bit better stock of primers for reloading (powder and bullets are good). Could use maybe 25-50% more of every caliber for that bit of extra cushion. If prices do get as silly cheap as they had been, I should pick up a few cases of steel 9mm for real cheap shooting. The market is going to recover a lot more though before I buy anything in any significant quantities. It'll be more oddball components or ammo that I'd buy before the price has mostly recovered. I am not buying 9mm at even 50cpr. Maybe once it has dropped under 30cpr I'd consider picking some up. But I don't have a ton of 9mm or 45 defensive ammo (a few boxes). Won't be buying any cases of defensive ammo anytime soon, but I know what my guns like and once available at a fair price (which to me is under .80cpr for defensive ammo) I'd probably pickup a couple boxes just so I could start shooting that again a little, which I won't do till availability is better. Also some components I really want that I have zero of. I'd like some 120gr .264" and 75gr .224" Gold Dot bullets and 123gr .264" SST and I have zero and zero are to be found. If they become available at stupid prices...NO. However, if I can find them at somewhat fair prices even if kind of high, yes, I'll absolutely pickup a few hundred of each.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    When you have to have an 18 wheeler follow you with it!

Attachments

• EF2210C7-1A82-4D46-9933-8C8732B4DDB1.jpg
      EF2210C7-1A82-4D46-9933-8C8732B4DDB1.jpg
      69 KB · Views: 254

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads