• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • c&rdaze

Oct 2, 2007
    Southern MD
    OK, I just found a .357 S&W 19-3 K-frame. Years ago I 'inherited' a load of reloading stuff, .357 bullets and cases. Trying to get started with the .357 reloading. Checked one box of casings, checked the first 5-6, all within spec. Sized, primed them all. Part way thru, I see something is really wrong. Some of the cases are not .357 but .38 spl. I have about half a dozen .38spl cases loaded with 180gr Speer, over 14gr. H110. Worked up with chrono to 1060 ft/sec (.357).

Question: can I shoot or best to pull and save for 158gr .38spl?

I already know I screwed up!
    Opinions please

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Pull them and be done with it.

And based on published load data, Hodgdon, you're .5 grains over maximum for H110 and a 180 grain bullet.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    While .357 Mag pistols will also fire .38 SPL rounds, never load 38 SPL using .357 recipes. You already know that.

If it was my reloading bench issue I'd disassemble and re-work the rounds.

c&rdaze

Oct 2, 2007
    Southern MD
    Thanks for the responses. I will note that my Lyman book has starting 13.9, max 14.5gr for 180gr bullet over H110.

My feeling was to pull but one can always hope...

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I agree with the recommendation to pull them.

But a quick search shows up a number of reports of .357 level loads in .38 cases, BUT you have to make sure you fire them ONLY in a .357 revolver.

If you lose track of what loads you have, you can set up a very dangerous situation.

It seems this was not uncommon in the 60s, as .38 Special brass was readily available from police ranges, but .357 brass was very expensive.

From the reports seen, there seems to be more difference in case volume from case brand to case brand, than between .38 and .357 brass. The .357 brass is 0.1 longer to prevent chambering in most .38 Special revolvers. SOME older revolvers to not have a neck down in the scylinder and could chamber .357 rounds.

gpfan

Dec 6, 2014
    Sykesville, MD
    I agree with the recommendation to pull them.

But a quick search shows up a number of reports of .357 level loads in .38 cases, BUT you have to make sure you fire them ONLY in a .357 revolver.

If you lose track of what loads you have, you can set up a very dangerous situation.

It seems this was not uncommon in the 60s, as .38 Special brass was readily available from police ranges, but .357 brass was very expensive.

From the reports seen, there seems to be more difference in case volume from case brand to case brand, than between .38 and .357 brass. The .357 brass is 0.1 longer to prevent chambering in most .38 Special revolvers. SOME older revolvers to not have a neck down in the scylinder and could chamber .357 rounds.

Yes, pull and reuse components. Leave the primers in and reload with .38 recipe.

As for whether .357 loads might work in .38 cases, that may be. But how much do you value your weapon? Hand? Face? Life? Any of those could fail if you try it. Is it worth the gamble? Simply put...Don't do it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Some 357 loads have been worked up and estsblished using the 38 Special case and 180 grain and 200 grain bullets. It was due to powder volume in the case using both cases and using upper or lower crimp grooves.

If that bullet in 38 the Special case is the same C.O.L. as when seated in the 357 case then it is safe to fire. Being it is only 6 cases...I'd just pull the bullets and load in 357 cases.

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    Go ahead and pull them, the bullets should be sticking 1/8" further out of he cases already

^^^^^This.

Seating depth is important with fast burning powders that handguns use. The .38 special cartridge is effectively reducing your seating depth.

Attachments

• IMG_3079.JPG
      IMG_3079.JPG
      86.4 KB · Views: 196

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    I agree with all who recommend to pull the loads in .39 spl case. Not recommended and could be dangerous. I would also recommend that
    NOT use max loads in revolver pistols. For what it's worth I don't because it is safer to stay 5% lower than max data.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom