• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    Many shooters start their kids in the sport early on. I've seen kids who can't ride a bike yet putting .22 rounds in the 10 ring all day long, but when do you move your kids up to the big guns, and how did you know they were ready?

For me it was when my son had clearly mastered firearms safety and proficiency with his 10-22, and started asking to be trusted to shoot bigger bore weapons. That was at age 10. He is, for lack of a better term, a “recoil junky.”

It is especially rewarding when the range is crowded and he puts the older folks to shame dusting targets with the M1.

Garand2.jpg

jkray

Jul 13, 2011
    Germantown
    Don't have kids but I was 13 when my dad decided to take me to the range to shoot more than just a pellet pistol. I went from the pellet gun to a bolt 30.06 and never looked back

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    My daughter started shooting my Beretta 950 .22 short (with CB caps) when she was about 5. My son was about 7. Got them both shooting at the same time.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    My daughter was almost 8. Her first was a Rossi .22 rifle....then a Walther P22....then a .38 Special.....then a 9mm....then a .45....now she likes my .357 with hot Magnum loads.

She just turned 12 earlier this month.

559343_10152057688125585_1797025916_n.jpg

226005_10152057677640585_1396787635_n.jpg

GRAY GHOST

The 43rd
    Jul 24, 2012
    C.S.A.
    started my girlz out last last year with a bb gun. age 7 n 5. they now are shooting my rem speedmaster .22 they are now 8 n 6. oldest shoots great buying her a sig 522 sbr next month. they love it and so do i they make their daddy proud.

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    Interesting fact -well it was to me- if you look at the pic on the first post on the thread, you will see my son’s head is hung way over the stock of the rifle. It was about that time I noticed that he was shooting righty, but using his left eye, thus his position over the gun.

Turns out that though he is right handed, he is left eye dominant. I switched him to the other side if the bench a short time later and man what a difference. He still shoots handguns righty, but he shoots long guns exclusively left handed now, and is much more comfortable and consistent.

GRAY GHOST

The 43rd
    Jul 24, 2012
    C.S.A.
    my shooting partner is the same way. im trying to tech my girls to shoot with both eyes open. not working to well with the little one.

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    I think it's a combination of age, size, preference and platform.

My girls are 13 and 7. Both will shoot a .22 rifle all day long. The youngest prefers her bolt action and the oldest likes her Henry lever.

My youngest isn't bothered by noise so she will shoot anything that she can handle that doesn't kick much. (She likes to shoot the Sub 2000 for example and will shoot a .223 bolt action.)

The oldest really likes shooting the SKS when she gets the chance (as well as say the .223 or Sub 2000) but won't touch anything heavier like a Mosin. (I wouldn't let her anyway because she's small for her age.)

I don't push them but if they want to try something that isn't going to traumatize them for the next 10 years, I'll let them give it a go. My philosophy has been small steps and let them tell you when they're ready to move up.

Attachments

• IMAG0098.jpg
      IMAG0098.jpg
      64.1 KB · Views: 341

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I agree. My daughter told me when she was ready to move up from her .22 to my SKS. Now she seems to think I should be buying her her own SKS.:sad20:

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    My kids started plinking at 4, and really started understanding shooting at 6. My oldest was 9 (10 today!) when he started shooting my HBAR and M1 carbine.

DSC00068.jpg
    [/IMG]

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    Gave my stepdaughter a Cricket for her 10th birthday and started her then, stepson at the time was 6 and he got to shoot it too. Funny thing is I hadn't seen either of them for 16 years until Friday night at a "clean all the game from last year out of the freezer party" a buddy had and the now 32 year old stepdaughter still has her Cricket. Told me it was the best present she ever got.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Took my daughter a few months ago after her 8th birthday. Started her on the 10/22 and by the end of the day she was hitting the x ring with my 3 gun AR. Now she's asking if she can go deer hunting.

2012-05-19_15-14-07_842.jpg

lseries

Dec 11, 2011
    Now she's asking if she can go deer hunting.

With patterns like that, why not? She'd be a completely ethical hunter. Get her enrolled in a hunter safety class, buy her a license, and get her into the woods!

And don't get upset when she, not dad, puts the meat on the table.;)

lseries

Dec 11, 2011
    My daughter was almost 8. Her first was a Rossi .22 rifle....then a Walther P22....then a .38 Special.....then a 9mm....then a .45....now she likes my .357 with hot Magnum loads.

She just turned 12 earlier this month.

She's got great taste in guns! When I was her age I loved shooting those classic S&W's, too. When she gets a little older and dad has to deal with the two most dreaded D's for any parent (dating and driving :)) I hope the boys down in New Bern have the sense to appreciate her!

Chris L

Bite me
    Oct 31, 2007
    Catonsville
    Started my 6yo off with her Crickett earlier this spring. After a couple range trips she wanted to try my AR. Here's a vid of her shooting it on one of our last range trips.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    Interesting fact -well it was to me- if you look at the pic on the first post on the thread, you will see my son’s head is hung way over the stock of the rifle. It was about that time I noticed that he was shooting righty, but using his left eye, thus his position over the gun.

Turns out that though he is right handed, he is left eye dominant. I switched him to the other side if the bench a short time later and man what a difference. He still shoots handguns righty, but he shoots long guns exclusively left handed now, and is much more comfortable and consistent.

We need more left handed shooters, the industry is not meeting our needs. My left handed Stag is a godsend. And while I love my Kel Tec Sub 2K, it burns the crap out of me every time I shoot it. Oh wait kids thread, sorry. I have two kids (10 and 8) and will be started them shooting this fall with a Savage bolt .22 Mark II GY I think.... All of my rifles are right handed except my AR so they can "move on up".

honda53s

Ultimate Member
    May 4, 2009
    Baltimore County
    No kids here but I got a daisy red rider when I was 4. Started shooting .22's when I was 6. I shot my grand fathers ww2 1911 when I was 9 and kept going up from there

ea689c

Mar 26, 2012
    Sterling, VA
    My son started at 8 with a 10-22 and just recently started shooting my Buck Mark 22 pistol. He had a growth spurt between 8 and 9 that helped him to handle the pistol as its not the lightest thing around with a 6" target barrel. As far as moving up to larger bores, in the case of my son I don't think he is ready. My biggest trouble with him at the moment is that he shoots his 10-22 like its a video game almost on rapid fire. He is on target but I really want him to learn how to slow down a bit. He did slow down with the pistol a little. I think it might be different when he hits 10 years old.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    No kids here..., that I know of... :lol2:

Got started at 9 with a Marlin 60 .22, not long after that a S&W Police .38, from there everything's been almost a blur, I'll shoot just about anything whenever it's offered.

When my nephew's old enough (currently 4), me and my brother plan on getting him onto the range, he already understands the concept of firearms and can identify the pieces of my AR. He learned quick. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom