• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • roadking

Mar 11, 2019
    Baltimore, MD
    Thought I would briefly share my W&C experience. Ive had my business LLC set up for years, with regular business income, and I have an active clearance. I never bothered to apply because the business permits had restrictions and since I mainly work at government sites I wouldn't be allowed to carry anyway. Sometime around summer 2019 MSP changed the rules to where business permits would all be unrestricted. That's when I decided to try for my W&C. I took the classes in 09/2019 and applied online the very first day that the process switched to the MSP online portal which I think was 10/1/2019. I noted my good and substantial was my clearance and my business. I got the call about 2 weeks later to meet the investigator at the barracks. The interview took about 15 minutes. The problem is that the investigator kept insisting that I show them cash deposits and all my business dealings are direct deposits. She then advised that my application good and substantial could not be both "business owner" and "clearance". I had to pick one or the other. She advised that since I didnt handle cash I switch over to the clearance reason. She wanted a letter from my security department confirming my active level clearance. I told her that was impossible my security department is not going to discuss my clearance with anyone that is not for official US business. So I told her to process it as a business owner and I gave her a breakdown of all my annual business expenses to show money in and out of my business account (no cash all electronic). She accepted it, and said ok you now wait a few months to hear back about the permit. THE VERY NEXT MORNING AT 5:00AM. I get an email from MSP stating they made a decision. I just assumed it was a no because she said it would take months for a response. I figured they looked and saw no cash transactions and denied me. I didn't even bother going to the MSP website to check it. Later that night I was bored and went on the website and sure enough I got approved. The whole process from application to getting a permit in hand was 30 days.

So what was the verbiage that you used for your GSR? Did you just say “business owner”. Or did you expound on that at all? When I got my HQL this group had the exact phrases I needed all written out. Do we have something similar for business owners? Oh, and I DO do some actual bank deposits, with some others being electronic.

EDIT: Never mind. Just went on the portal and saw they don’t ask for a text answer. It’s a simple list selection.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

onedash

Ultimate Member
    Feb 24, 2016
    Calvert County
    Hey all, new member here, 1st post! I've been following this thread for a while, and recently started putting together my application. I'm on the last step of getting the letter from my security manager to verify employment and clearance, and my company is not sure if they want to provide the verification. Has anyone run into this? Is there something/someone else that I can reach out to, to verify my employment and such? Does this verification have to be on an official company letterhead? If my company could remove themselves from the situation they would most likely just give me the info, but they are currently going through the corporate office to see if they are able to provide the information given the "possibility of something blowing back on them" if I presumably were to go crazy. Any help appreciated!
    My company security officer said the letter would have to go through legal if it was on company letterhead and had no idea how long that might take so I went to government security officer where I work and got the letter in no time. The investigator asked why it wasn't from who I said it would come from and she was happy with my answer.

RobbieDigital

Dec 29, 2016
    My company security officer said the letter would have to go through legal if it was on company letterhead and had no idea how long that might take so I went to government security officer where I work and got the letter in no time. The investigator asked why it wasn't from who I said it would come from and she was happy with my answer.

My company security office was 100% not participating in the process. My government contract specifically states that I cannot carry while conducting official business plus none of the buildings allow weapons anyway so in their mind there was no reason why I need a permit. It wasn't for official US business. Plus I didn't want to rock the boat following chain of command. My fear was they wouldn't understand what or why I was asking. I can picture calling my boss and telling her I would like a letter of verification as part of the process to get a permit for use when off duty and unrelated to work. Then she calls her boss for direction, then he calls his boss, then she calls the security manager and by the time the security manager is notified the message is "so and so wants a gun". I'd probably be fired on the spot.

RobbieDigital

Dec 29, 2016
    So what was the verbiage that you used for your GSR? Did you just say “business owner”. Or did you expound on that at all? When I got my HQL this group had the exact phrases I needed all written out. Do we have something similar for business owners? Oh, and I DO do some actual bank deposits, with some others being electronic.

EDIT: Never mind. Just went on the portal and saw they don’t ask for a text answer. It’s a simple list selection.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There is a section where you briefly discuss the G&S. I just noted I was a business owner and I worked at all hours of the day and night and in all areas of the country and that I often carried sensitive information. During the interview with the investigator she didnt ask any specifics. My interview was 15 minutes. Funny thing is my buddy, who has the same exact job as me, he had a different investigator and his interview was over 2 hours.

johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    Application is completely done online but the payment has to be mailed. Makes absolutely zero sense when I can go to the MVA site and renew my car tags in 30 seconds.

HoCoShooter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2009
    Howard County
    Hi folks - For those of you who have applied as (newer) business owners, how long do you recommend waiting to apply after becoming official with the State, based on the documents needed? I'm wondering because I don't have much in the way of deposits, etc. yet and of course have no schedule C forms yet either. Things will be a trickle for a while as I get my business developed more.

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    Application is completely done online but the payment has to be mailed. Makes absolutely zero sense when I can go to the MVA site and renew my car tags in 30 seconds.
    Intentionally obstreperous to dissuade the disheveled masses from petitioning the crown...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Hi folks - For those of you who have applied as (newer) business owners, how long do you recommend waiting to apply after becoming official with the State, based on the documents needed? I'm wondering because I don't have much in the way of deposits, etc. yet and of course have no schedule C forms yet either. Things will be a trickle for a while as I get my business developed more.

Questions:
    Are you an LLC?
    Do you have six cash deposits?
    Do you have three bank statements for a corporate account?
    Do you have 10 invoices to customers?
    Do you have 6 invoices that you have paid?

If you don't have all the above, wait until you do. If you don't have a schedule C, I'm assuming that you started business in 2020,in which case, you won't have the bank statements either. My application had 38 pages of supportive evidence.

Lastly, join MSI and ask them for help. It's only $25. They know this stuff way better than anyone here.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Oh boy....

Questions:
    Are you an LLC? Doesn't have to be incorporated.
    Do you have six cash deposits? Deposits don't have to be cash.
    Do you have three bank statements for a corporate account? Bank statements aren't required, especially if you are incorporated.
    Do you have 10 invoices to customers? I've never shown invoices on my applications.
    Do you have 6 invoices that you have paid? Invoices, credit card receipts, checks.

If you don't have all the above, wait until you do. If you don't have a schedule C, I'm assuming that you started business in 2020,in which case, you won't have the bank statements either. My application had 38 pages of supportive evidence. Bank statements are issued monthly, could easily have a bank statement for January. He might not have a schedule C because he hasn't filed 2019 taxes yet.

Lastly, join MSI and ask them for help. It's only $25. They know this stuff way better than anyone here.

HoCoShooter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2009
    Howard County
    Questions:
    Are you an LLC? Yes.
    Do you have six cash deposits? Not yet, within a month I will.
    Do you have three bank statements for a corporate account? No, not until June-ish.
    Do you have 10 invoices to customers? Not yet, within a month I will.
    Do you have 6 invoices that you have paid? Not yet, within a month or two I will.

If you don't have all the above, wait until you do. If you don't have a schedule C, I'm assuming that you started business in 2020,in which case, you won't have the bank statements either. My application had 38 pages of supportive evidence. Correct, literally just started a couple weeks ago.

Lastly, join MSI and ask them for help. It's only $25. They know this stuff way better than anyone here.Yep, already was.

It's mostly BGOS - I just don't want to jump through all the hoops only to be told I missed one. Hate this State and its BS. Thanks for the input though.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    It's mostly BGOS - I just don't want to jump through all the hoops only to be told I missed one. Hate this State and its BS. Thanks for the input though.

Exactly. I wouldn’t call over-preparing for the W&C BGOS because we all know the reality of the hyper-scrutiny in the application process. To me, BGOS is getting ready for something that will likely never happen.

Glad to help with the input. I have an unrestricted permit that I had to go to court to get. I just got done with my first renewal application. I live in PA, and the difference in the process is staggering.
    1) download a simple form, fill it out, write a check for $20, and mail it in.
    2) in 7 to 10 days, receive an email message telling you when and where to report to
    3) show up, get fingerprints and a photo, and walk out with the permit
    The only “G&S” in PA is to tick a box labeled “self-defense.”

RobbieDigital

Dec 29, 2016
    For mine, I just gave them the most current three months of business bank statements that showed weekly deposits (none cash) and various debit card withdraws. Also I showed them a page from my 2018 taxes that outlines expenses by category (mileage, hotels, airfare etc). That was good enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom