• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    So I was able to talk with a MSP investigator yesterday who said the same thing. I can at least show a request was made through FOIA to buy me time while it processes. I reached out to my agencies FOIA office yesterday and left a message. This is a good little loophole. My security manager understood my request but naturally they will not touch anything with the word firearm in the request. This is the second agency that had this policy. It sucks MSP tells us we can use it but knows damn well half the agencies wont comply. Another funny thing is that even thought the scope of the investigation is less for a secret and than a top secret; they are adjudicated the exact same. Meaning, there is nothing derogatory that someone can do in which they would be granted for a secret but not a top secret.

Unless something has changed a secret by itself isn't going to get you a permit. Go the business owner route.

Nobody

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2009
    If you are not currently qualified for a permit with G&S, might i suggrst that if you plan on putting in an application in June after the ruling by SCOTUS that you get training now if you are required to have it.

Waiting until the ruling might save you a couple of hundred bucks, if they rule for the state, but a hell of a lot of time if they rule for NYSRPA.

My opinion and thoughts

Nobody

johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    So I was able to talk with a MSP investigator yesterday who said the same thing. I can at least show a request was made through FOIA to buy me time while it processes. I reached out to my agencies FOIA office yesterday and left a message. This is a good little loophole. My security manager understood my request but naturally they will not touch anything with the word firearm in the request. This is the second agency that had this policy. It sucks MSP tells us we can use it but knows damn well half the agencies wont comply. Another funny thing is that even thought the scope of the investigation is less for a secret and than a top secret; they are adjudicated the exact same. Meaning, there is nothing derogatory that someone can do in which they would be granted for a secret but not a top secret.

To be clear, that is absolutely NOT a loophole, that is an approved and acceptable method to provide the requested information...

Good luck

msrw

Apr 3, 2019
    MD
    Just to share some info about Wear & Carry application times that is current as of early 2022....

I applied as a business owner on 12/21/2021
    My references and I were contacted by the MSP interviewer on 02/03/2022
    My application was approved with no restrictions on 02/09/2022
    Wear & Carry permit arrived in the mail on 02/11/2022

Last edited:

Yellowdog

MDS Supporter
    Jul 4, 2011
    Columbia
    Just to share some info about Wear & Carry application times that is current as of early 2022....

I applied as a business owner on 12/21/2021
    My references and I were contacted by the MSP interviewer on 02/03/2022
    My application was approved with no restrictions on 02/09/2022
    Wear & Carry permit arrived in the mail on 02/11/2022

My renewal (business owner) was just approved. Application to approval was 29 days. Now just have to wait on the post office.

River Hill

Dec 15, 2012
    Maryland
    Quick paperwork question. I will be taking my W&C class soon.

I own a business and I also work a full time job. Do I need to list my full time job on the application or just the business that I own?

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Quick paperwork question. I will be taking my W&C class soon.

I own a business and I also work a full time job. Do I need to list my full time job on the application or just the business that I own?

You could, doesn’t really effect anything. Many of us who own a business do so as a side venture. I listed my FT employer and contact information and they were never contacted.

River Hill

Dec 15, 2012
    Maryland
    You could, doesn’t really effect anything. Many of us who own a business do so as a side venture. I listed my FT employer and contact information and they were never contacted.

Thanks Mark. If I don't have to list my FT employer, I probably won't. My boss thinks firearms are evil and that is putting it kindly :)

Nobody

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2009
    I submitted my renewal application on Feb 7.

It was accepted Feb 8.

As of today March 8 it has not been assigned to an investigator.

My permit will expire end of April.

If I recall way back to last August I did not get an investigator until 6 weeks in. Had my permit in hand in less than 8 weeks total.

Nobody

Wiley Jester

Aug 18, 2013
    I have found this forum hugely helpful and appreciated everyone's input. In turn, I'd like to give back by sharing my experience, I received my CWP approval notification this afternoon, here was my timeline:
    - application submitted on 1/16/2022
    - application moved to an investigator on 1/25/2022
    - application moved to another investigator on 1/26/2022
    - interview conducted on 2/2/2022
    - two of my contacts were interviewed on 2/3/2022
    - received email stating my application had been advanced to the Handgun Permit Unit on 2/4/2022
    - received my approval notification on 3/8/2022

Stay frosty!

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    I confirmed with my agency security manager today they will not provide a letter.

One thing I noticed on the application this time that is different from last time is that you now have the ability to select two G&S. I picked business and clearance. When I did this two years ago it forced you to pick one.

I have no business income since august 2021 but I do expect that to change very soon but maybe not by the time I submit. I expire in 90 days so I want to get my package done asap so it doesn’t lapse and I have to start over.

I do have a 1099 showing business income for 2021. I haven’t done my taxes yet to show all my annual expenses.
    You don’t have to show any profit for your business. If you have business related expenses, like licensing fees, tax prep, rent, etc, your statements showing a LOSS during the past year would suffice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom