• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dec 16, 2012
    I own a Remington R1, and would like to get my wife a suitable home-defense pistol, as she finds the 1911 a little bulky. Do I have to go through the same application process that I did two years ago? Or would it be better for her to submit an application in her name? Any advice or suggestions of info sources would be most appreciated. We live in Sykesville.

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    The best firearm for her is one she can use confidently.
    Find a way to have her shoot as many as she can.
    Start her on a .22 revolver.
    Let her decide when she want a larger caliber.
    Let her take a friend and they go thru class together.

Good luck.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    The process today is different from two years ago. To transfer a handgun today the person needs a HQL (Handgun Qualification License). To get an HQL you either need to take special training (different than 2 years ago) or be exempt from the training requirement; you need special live scan fingerprints taken; you need to fill out the paperwork for a background check; you need to pay a fee; and wait for a special photo ID card. The HQL only qualifies you to get a handgun you will still have to go through another background check and go through the seven day wait like before.

You might want to vote for Hogan tomorrow since Brown was part of the above law.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Mark, I have some suggestions, shoot me your email addr.......

Oh,... never mind.:lol2:

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    My wife has small hands and finds my XD a bit bulky and difficult to rack the slide. After looking at many handguns at Duffy's, she chose a Walther PK 380. Look it up on their web site. It's basically designed for women. It has a smaller grip and the slide is a breeze to rack. P.S. my wife just completed her live fire for her CCW renewal and scored 100% .

MaraD

The Tall Girl
    Aug 15, 2013
    Baltimore, MD
    Your wife needs to take a basic pistol class and obtain her own HQL. Then she needs to go to an indoor range such as On Target and try different guns. She needs to consider grip, easy of racking the slide, recoil, trigger pull, sight picture and the weight of the gun loaded. Will she be able to hold the gun with her arms fully extended and elbows lock, and be able to keep the sights on target? Can she keep the gun on target for the duration it takes to empty the magazine accurately? Your wife most likely has far less upper body strength than you and the gun she is confident shooting might very significantly from your first choice. If you wish to offer her recommendations, limit them to the reliability and record of the firearms she asks you about. Absolutely don't push her to the gun you wish you had next.

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    Take her to the shooting range. Rent several pistols starting with the 22. Its not only how it fits the hand.

enjoy

Im going with this. Dunno about the HQL crap.

I took her to the range with her friend they tested pistols. She chose one. I went the next day and paid cash for the weapon. She got off work and filled out the paper work. It is hers.

She ended with a 380 acp, the 9mm kicked too much.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    Have her attend an NRA WOMEN ON TARGET Pistol Clinic. A great place to get an intro to pistols and try out many different handguns not to mention meet like minded ladies!

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    You can do what I did:

I found a S&W Model 642 38spl at a gun shop I knew she could learn to shoot. So I sent her a text with a pic:

"You like this one?"
    "I want a pink one."
    "I'll get you pink grips."
    "OK - buy it for me."

In a couple of weeks she had pink grips on her new HD firearm.

Simple and easy...

:D

Attachments

• S&W 642 08_03_2013 photo SNIP.jpg
      S&W 642 08_03_2013 photo SNIP.jpg
      46 KB · Views: 526
    • DSC00268 SNIP.jpg
      DSC00268 SNIP.jpg
      54.5 KB · Views: 540

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics