• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AKbythebay

Ultimate Member
    Can anyone give me some advice on cleaning up a rifle that I unfortunately shot corrosive ammo through and failed to clean? I have an AK74 and like an idiot I did not clean it right away after shooting it last time (a couple years ago) with corrosive ammo :mad54: Now it looks like it's rusting. I needed to give it a little wack with a mallet to get the slide and bolt off. Any advice on what I should do to get it back in shape would be appreciated.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Blue and Rust Remover 3 OZ 16125 ~ Birchwood Casey ~ Gun Finishing ~ Cleaner

I ordered, yet another bottle, of this blue/rust remover last week and it is slated to be here today. The blue remover part you have to be careful with of course, but, the rust remover is the business section of what you need to do. Wire brush in a drill and then swab it with some blue/rust remover. When that's done swab the bore very good with a few coats of a mix of 75% 2-cycle oil and 25% transmission fluid. If you need a bottle let me know. You can do this or just buy a new barrel...

AKbythebay

Ultimate Member
    Thanks SOMDSHOOT. I'll give that a try. I'm more concerned with the action and the gas cylinder than I am with the barrel. I figured I could scrub out most of the rust in the barrel. Can I soak the other parts in soapy water or anything else to help clean that up?

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Blue and Rust Remover 3 OZ 16125 ~ Birchwood Casey ~ Gun Finishing ~ Cleaner

I ordered, yet another bottle, of this blue/rust remover last week

Nothing against birchwood products but save your money. Its mostly phosphoric acid. Avail at any auto parts place (and home depot, walmart, etc.) Sometimes goes under the names of navel jelly or ospho for the thick gel stuff. Can get water thin versions too. See the MSDS here:
    http://sport.birchwoodcasey.com/files/MSDS/16125_BlueandRustRemover_2010.pdf
    pH<1. Wow. STRONG acid.

For a non-acid remover that works GREAT and safe on just about anything (but rust & bluing) EvapoRust is amazing. Since its not an acid it wont etch or roundover sharp details like rifling. Avail online, harbor freight, and some auto parts stores now. Just fully submerge parts in a bucket of the stuff and come back anywhere from an hour to a day later depending on how bad the rust was. Clean w/ no damage to anything else. Can't do that w/ phosphoric acid as you'd eventually end up w/ a bucket w/ nothing in it;)

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The problem is, you can remove the rust, but the parts are likely pitted. Maybe badly.

Better to replace them.

bbrown

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2009
    MD
    IIRC, the ammonia in regular/original Windex just helps with drying. The water is what takes care of the corrosive salts.

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    I don't have any personal experience with cleaning corroded rifle parts, but I did see a recent thread on another forum discuss something similar. A product called JB bore paste was suggested to clean out the rifling as it has abrasives in it. Similar to lapping compound in the automotive realm.

Good luck!!!

TomisinMd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2013
    Elkton, Md
    Use exrust, made by kano labs, and the maker of kroil. Its the best rust or corrosion remover Ive found. water based, and wont leave a film.

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    I always take a bottle of windex to the range with me when shooting my old surplus firearms . Hose the barrel down with it when your done shooting if you are using corrosive ammo . I know the damage has already been done to your rifle but keep this in mind for the future .

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I did some research.

Better to take a spray bottle of just water or water with a bit of dish soap.

Ammonia (in Windex) will actually reduce the solubility of the corrosive salts in the water.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom