How to get a new handgun without Gun Broker?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CruncherBlock

Mar 29, 2016
    I want a new Sig Sauer M17. The few stores that I've been to said their distributors do not have any. Thanks Covid! I saw some at BPS out of state so I'm guessing that won't work due to Maryland Mag Restrictions. What is the best strategy to get a new one?

Mr.Blue

Living In A Bizarro World
    Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    I want a new Sig Sauer M17. The few stores that I've been to said their distributors do not have any. Thanks Covid! I saw some at BPS out of state so I'm guessing that won't work due to Maryland Mag Restrictions. What is the best strategy to get a new one?

You can tell them to keep the mags, or maybe they’ll mail them out of state. They can also ship to your FFL and you’re FFL has to modify the mags to 10 rounds.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Buy the pistol out of state at the BPS. Take the mags with you, that’s legal. Have BPS ship the gun to your desired FFL.

Will BPS really do that? I'm not trying to be argumentative. That just sounds too helpful and cooperative for a big company to do :shrug:

jamesp15

Jul 16, 2018
    Southern PG
    The Cabelas in Gainesville VA wont sell a handgun at all to a MD resident even if its a 10rd magazine one, at least when I tried 2 or so years ago.

They also wont sell a firearm at all to a MD resident if it comes with larger than 10rd magazines even if you ask/tell them to keep them or trash them. Same with the Christiania DE one (tried to buy a MP15-22 from them 3 or 4 years ago and wouldnt sell because of the magazine capacity, only had the model that came with 25 round mags.)

I would assume others are similar.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I talked to the Cabela’s in Delaware and they were willing to do that. I didn’t pursue it beyond do the budget workout but asked before I could seriously consider it. I do realize attendant state laws and the mentioned big box store policies always steer the possibilities.

There is no law against shipping a firearm without a magazine.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    I can think of 3 solutions, 2 of which have been covered already.

1. You probably have not yet exhausted all possible solutions in MD yet; as Mightydog said check the list of IPs and call any within a reasonable distance of you which you haven't spoken with yet.

2. As Magnumite said, buy out of state and ship. Some shops may hand you the mags, some will not. A few interpret their duty to follow the laws of the buyer's state to mean they cannot.

3. Visit the next gun show out of state that a MD FFL will be present at, find what you're looking for if possible, transfer via the MD FFL. You pay the seller, you take the mags, the MD FFL takes the firearm until paperwork is complete.

South Carroll Sporting Goods has been at every York and Gettysburg show in the past few years that I can recall. Gus from Lighthouse Guns in DE, who used to own Accurate Pawn in Elkridge MD, attends most Chantilly shows and will do MD transfers. Although, it has been so long since the last Chantilly show, who knows. Gus may no longer have his MD FFL.

Wheaton Hills Sportsman

Jan 27, 2012
    Top Gun Supply sells pistols with the 10 round magazines of shame, so get one delivered to your FFL of choice and the go to Virginia and buy normal magazines. Inventory at the sellers end may be a problem, but I am sure other internet gun sellers have the pistols with the shameful 10 round magazines.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Will BPS really do that? I'm not trying to be argumentative. That just sounds too helpful and cooperative for a big company to do :shrug:

Cabela's in DE will NOT do that.

They will not even sell you a long gun with over 10 round mags and keep the mag.

Even though they will sell you the standard cap mags.

Do NOT expect big stores like that to act reasonably.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I talked to the Cabela’s in Delaware and they were willing to do that. I didn’t pursue it beyond do the budget workout but asked before I could seriously consider it. I do realize attendant state laws and the mentioned big box store policies always steer the possibilities.

There is no law against shipping a firearm without a magazine.

I bet if you tried to buy it, they would not have sold it to you.

Many others have tried and NOT been successful.

Fawnflunky

Jan 27, 2021
    A few years ago a buddy of mine in Maryland had his 15 Rd mag shipped to me in PA. Another friend of mine in Maryland recently bought a gun on Grabagun and they wouldn't let him ship the high capacity mag to me. They only sent him one of his mags that the gun comes with which was a 10 Rd and offered no discount since they kept it. That's BS

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    It is illegal to purchase the gun and have the standard capacity magazines as part of the deal. That is according to MSP. I'm not sure how MSP can enforce it, but technically the dealers aren't supposed to just give you the mags nor ship them to an out of state address

Carter McCoy

High Standard K-1200
    Jul 7, 2020
    Crofton
    I bought a Beretta 92 from Bud's Gun Shop and they kept both the 17rd mags that it came with, they did not replace them with 10rd mags, and they did not discount the price *frown*

Picking up my IWI Masada from Palmetto State today at Cindy's, I'll find out about the mags when I get there.

I got both of these by putting myself on mailing lists to 'notify when back in stock' by my e-mail. Also got a covid shotgun the same way.

Foohaus

Nov 22, 2020
    Buy the pistol out of state at the BPS. Take the mags with you, that’s legal. Have BPS ship the gun to your desired FFL.
    I do not think this is accurate. Pretty sure an MD resident may not legally purchase a firearm out of state that comes w high-cap magazines with the intention of importing the magazines into MD.

I recently got a pistol with 10-rnd mags from Palmetto State Armory and had it shipped to a MD FFL. YMMV, but the process was relatively smooth and painless.

Last edited:

Sloopjonb

Feb 5, 2016
    My buddy came down here to Tennessee from Just outside of Baltimore he tried to buy a gun from Buds in Sevierville Tn the guy just laughed at him said they couldn't ship to Md. had to order on line. I just bought a gun from Academy Sports a 9mm EZ took me 45 mins. in and out of the store with background check plus 10% discount for being a vet. Now you know why I moved out of that car-hole years ago from Chillum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom