• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RegularJay

NRA & SAF Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 20, 2007
    Harford County
    In light of the ruling invalidating “good & substantial” we need to garner support from the general public. The problem I see is that for folks that know nothing and never considered it before the requirement to have a “good & substantial” reason to carry a gun doesn’t seem unreasonable.

I think the best way to sway folks to our side of the argument is to point out to everyone we can that the permit process is discriminatory with regards to race and wealth, and that in most cases “good and substantial” has meant “wealthy, politically connected, white guy”. We need to make the point that the system to date has discriminated against poor minority citizens. What we really need is Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton on the news explaining how Maryland has been discriminating against their constituency. We need to make the point that poor folks need to be able to protect their children. If the fact that the present permit process so blatantly discriminates against poor minority citizens could be brought to the forefront of the public discussion on this issue I don’t see how any elected representative in the state could possibly do anything but apologize and blame Bob Ehrlich.

cantonglocker

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 27, 2011
    Pasadena
    In light of the ruling invalidating “good & substantial” we need to garner support from the general public. The problem I see is that for folks that know nothing and never considered it before the requirement to have a “good & substantial” reason to carry a gun doesn’t seem unreasonable.

I think the best way to sway folks to our side of the argument is to point out to everyone we can that the permit process is discriminatory with regards to race and wealth, and that in most cases “good and substantial” has meant “wealthy, politically connected, white guy”. We need to make the point that the system to date has discriminated against poor minority citizens. What we really need is Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton on the news explaining how Maryland has been discriminating against their constituency. We need to make the point that poor folks need to be able to protect their children. If the fact that the present permit process so blatantly discriminates against poor minority citizens could be brought to the forefront of the public discussion on this issue I don’t see how any elected representative in the state could possibly do anything but apologize and blame Bob Ehrlich.

the last thing you want is Jackson or Sharpton around

gmhowell

Not Banned Yet
    Nov 28, 2011
    Monkey County
    Black 'leaders' have generally been blind to the racist intent of most gun laws. And yeah, you don't want either of those clowns around.

vector03

Frustrated Incorporated
    Jan 7, 2009
    Columbia
    I wouldn't ask people if they want to CC. I would ask people if they want politicians (they've never met) deciding they can't.

Nothing pisses somebody off like taking away their choice.

RegularJay

NRA & SAF Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 20, 2007
    Harford County
    I dont especially like Jackson or Sharpton either. BUT, I have seen how effective they are in rousing public support among their constituancies. Pretty much all of the elected Democrats in Maryland owe their jobs (and potential presidential aspirations) to those same constituancies. I don't see O"Malley standing up for a policy that discriminates against poor minorities.

As far as asking folks if they personally want CC, I dont think a very large percentage of the general population personally wants to carry and thus most folks (who arent members of MDS) don't care about the issue. However, I do feel that the majority of voters in Maryland DO care about mostly white folks getting to do something that non-whites cannot.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    Before we get too into this, let's remember that past events have demonstrated that without changes in demographics; we are going to find it hard to get our foot in the door with the race and gun control argument.

I remember when a group of people (not affiliated with MSI) sent out a JPFOA flyer and it was not received well.

Right now; it's a lump of lead, no one has been able to find a way to turn it to gold.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom