• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Skipper3s

Jun 24, 2023
    Texas
    I recently added a suppressor to my Smith & Wesson M&P10. It gets dirty pretty fast. The only modifications are a vented charging handle and a JP Rifles Buffer. I can't get through half a magazine before it gets so dirty that it won't fully eject spent shells. It is easy to clear the shell and shoot a few more rounds before it does it again. Its a real pain in the but. I am looking for suggestions on how to reduce how quickly it gets dirty so I can get more shots of it before cleaning.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Use more lubrication. I shoot almost all of my AR's suppressed and have never had that problem.
    You also my have to change your buffer/buffer spring setup as well as you need to have it run more reliably while your shooting suppressed.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Probably not the dirt causing ejection issues, probably overgassing and/or under lube. They have a habit of flipping the shell 180 in the chamber and jamming up if the bolt is too fast. Some also have weak ejection if the bolt uses an AR15 spec ejector and spring and a mediocre extractor shape/fit. Not sure what length buffer tube you have, most DPMS pattern AR308s use a short/heavy spring and small 2.5" buffer in an M4 buffer tube. The Armalite carbine setup was an H3 5.5oz buffer and AR10 rifle spring in an A5 length tube, that tends to run a lot better, and has 3 floating tungsten weights instead of the 2 steel weights in tiny stock AR308 buffers. Ammo also varies wildly, 7.62 NATO tends to run well, but 308 can have slow powder and higher pressure, making port pressure really high, and causing jams. A quality adjustable gas block is a good idea with any suppressed AR, but AR10/AR308s benefit even more, especially when shooting a wide range of ammo. Good buffer, gas tuned, and properly lubed, they can run 100s of suppressed rounds without trouble.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Sometimes it has been found that clipping a couple coils off the ejector springs(the one inside the bolt) help prevent the spent cases spinning inside the chamber. I have never tried this. I don't own a .308 AR.

Mainly, you have to run all ARs wet, as others have said.

Jun 24, 2023
    Easton, MD
    I’ve never been one to run my suppressed AR’s wet. I run them relatively dry and haven’t had issues, even on a suppressed 10.5 FA gun. I know that isn’t the popular opinion but has worked for me. For your ejection issues maybe try a different weight buffer?

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Def sounds like a gassing issue. Vented charging handles are BS and do nothing for reliability anyway. Look at the brass…do you see any rough extractor wear? More than likely your rifle is seriously over gassed. JP buffers are also largely BS. They make it “smoother” but they do not enhance reliability whatsoever. Start with a heavier buffer and/or spring l. S&W makes a decent product but they cater to the masses who use underpowered ammo and don’t run suppressed.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    Sometimes it has been found that clipping a couple coils off the ejector springs(the one inside the bolt) help prevent the spent cases spinning inside the chamber. I have never tried this. I don't own a .308 AR.

This right here

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

You don’t? Man, I thought you were cool. I am now re-evaluating our entire relationship. :D

I’ll just echo what most have said. It could be it is under gassed, but I’d go with massively over gassed. I had to replace the ejector spring with something a little less fierce as well as an AGB to take care of 98% of my issues and a brass deflector rubber pad took care of the last bit. Runs fine with all 7.62 and .308 I’ve fed it now and runs great suppressed. It’ll knock brass about 3 feet to my side if standing. Suppressed it’ll go about 6 feet to the side. Prior to an AGB and changes, even I suppressed it would drive pipe a lot and when I did eject, hurl cases 15 feet to the side. And bounce further on the right surface.

Skipper3s

Jun 24, 2023
    Texas
    Thanks for all the advice. My rifle is definitely over gassed. A good friend of mine has the same rifle and he put in a JP buffer and it works well. However, he is isn't running a suppressor so I got the heavier weighted JP buffer. An AGB seems to be common theme here. Any recommendations on an AGB?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom