• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    I keep having a problem with the board not searching some words saying they are too vague or too short when if it did search, it might actually yield semi-useful results instead a a deluge of unrelated threads. For example, I searched for "pa non-resident" and it dropped both pa and non. There are a bazillion threads and posts with the sole word "resident."

1. The following words were not included in your search because they are too short, too long, or too common: pa, non
    How do I get the board to look for what I want instead of what it wants? I've tried quotes, but get the same result.

texkev

Administrator
    Staff member
    Admin
    Jan 19, 2016
    North Texas
    Working on a new search system the basic one here is not good. We lost the Threadloom search after they were bought and shutdown

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    The only issues I have had searching, are that I am using vague words or word combinations "such as".

If one can remember something specific; the search function works properly.

Allium

Senior Keyboard Operator
    Feb 10, 2007
    I find if you just create a new thread asking the question you have, within 5 minutes, several people will tell you where to go as well as point out that its been asked before with out any other supporting information. Such as this answer you are now reading.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Try using your favorite search engine:

search_term site:mdshooters.com

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010

If it's MDS specific then know things are difficult at this time but try only using specific terms directly related to the subject. Unfortunately way too many threads have lousy titles making searches more difficult. If it's a general gun question nowadays I just do an internet search. Quick answers from real experts and actual comparisons and data to be found. Here you're most likely to get tons of opinions that's unlikely to do YOU specifically any good. Then the thread gets hijacked and goes off on tangents, never to die.

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    The other day I tried searching for a fellow named Brooklyn. Nada. Maybe he never was on MDS, but was sure active in MSI. Another search I tried was collective novus (hope the screen name is correct). Again, nada.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    The other day I tried searching for a fellow named Brooklyn. Nada. Maybe he never was on MDS, but was sure active in MSI. Another search I tried was collective novus (hope the screen name is correct). Again, nada.
    Not on MDS. I was able to find a "Brooklyn Gin Guy". Joined in Jan 2020. Probably not who you were looking for.

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD

No worky for water cooler threads. But the thread(s) I am seeking may not be in the water cooler so I'll give it a shot.

If it's MDS specific then know things are difficult at this time but try only using specific terms directly related to the subject. Unfortunately way too many threads have lousy titles making searches more difficult. If it's a general gun question nowadays I just do an internet search. Quick answers from real experts and actual comparisons and data to be found. Here you're most likely to get tons of opinions that's unlikely to do YOU specifically any good. Then the thread gets hijacked and goes off on tangents, never to die.
    Well, in my case I'm pretty sure there is at least one thread with the words "PA non-resident permits." And I'm also pretty sure (and can easily be wrong) it is "PA" as who wants to spell out "Pennsylvania?"

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Welp. I saw a good deal on LCP MAX and lots of searches here with different options yielded nothing.
    I searched SEARCH and found this.
    wtf?

Feb 28, 2013
    Brooklyn was definitely here. Joined in 2013

Methinks he done changed his name tho cuz he aint on the list no more under his old handle

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom