• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DaceNemo

Small fish. Big pond.
    Mar 17, 2013
    Baltimore
    Soooooo picked up my final purchase last Wednesday a Remington 1911 r1 enhanced from an IP...."new". Haven't fired it yet. Haven't cleaned it until today. Upon cleaning it I was surprised at how dirty it was. I know its fired to get casings for ballistics but ive put 100 rounds through my fns40 in a single visit to the range and it wasn't close to being as dirty as this 1911.

Said IP is also a firing range. I wont name the IP simply because its not my style. Now I don't know if an employee put a couple hundred rounds through it or what but you'd think they would atleast clean it before selling it as new after all it had a $950 price tag. I guess I'm just ticked that somebody has ran a few boxes of ammo through it before me.

I'm just trying to get some opinions on how I should handle this or if I should let it go. I don't want to start trouble especially since I'm a member of the range. Truth be told I'm pissed. But cooler heads prevail so what would you do?

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I'd be pissed. I would call the IP and just let them know what you found. Nothing you can do about it, though....

DaceNemo

Small fish. Big pond.
    Mar 17, 2013
    Baltimore
    Took pics from my phone but I'm not exactly computer savvy and they always show up as thumbnails when I post them.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    I will say this, some .45acp is really dirty. My 1911 gets coated in filth after 50rds sometimes. That said, at most I think the factory would've run maybe 10rds through it. Contact the dealer and politely bring it to their attention.

DaceNemo

Small fish. Big pond.
    Mar 17, 2013
    Baltimore

I know they're small pictures but like I said I'm not computer savvy and its from my phone. Still refuse to believe its this dirty from the manufacturer.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD

I know they're small pictures but like I said I'm not computer savvy and its from my phone. Still refuse to believe its this dirty from the manufacturer.

I see it all of the time. I don't work for a Range and I wouldn't cover for someone.

Im not saying its not possible for your theory to be wrong, but its no proof of wrongdoing.

DaceNemo

Small fish. Big pond.
    Mar 17, 2013
    Baltimore
    Ok thanks clandestine I know I dont post much but I read alot and ive noticed 2 things about you. 1-you're extremely helpful. 2-you know your sh!t. Ill take your word for it and ill let it go. Thank you very much. You have my vote for Maryland shooter's member of the year.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Is this your first pistol? Meaning, would you actually know how dirty a few round
    Fired .45 pistol would be compared to couple100 rounds fired, like you stated?
    If it is mechanically sound you would have needed to put a few hundred through her to smooth it out anyway.
    They could have saved you some ammo in a way.
    Hell, just ask them.
    sent from somewhere in the world.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Manufacturers randomly test their pistols, sometimes with several magazines of ammo. Not every one gets tested. Maybe you got "lucky"? I purchased a Ruger before that was about as dirty from the factory. I watched my LGS unbox it for the first time. Your photos show what I would expect from a manufacturer testing one magazine of WWB ammo. Does your pistol paperwork include a test firing report from the manufacturer?

DaceNemo

Small fish. Big pond.
    Mar 17, 2013
    Baltimore
    Is this your first pistol? Meaning, would you actually know how dirty a few round
    Fired .45 pistol would be compared to couple100 rounds fired, like you stated?
    If it is mechanically sound you would have needed to put a few hundred through her to smooth it out anyway.
    They could have saved you some ammo in a way.
    Hell, just ask them.
    sent from somewhere in the world.

No...if you'd read my original post you'd know that. It is my first .45 however. Ive ran 100 rds of wwb .40 through my fns and it'd be cleaner than the 1911 was new.

DaceNemo

Small fish. Big pond.
    Mar 17, 2013
    Baltimore
    No test firing report did notice wear on the barrel as well as on the inside of the slide. It was dirty in every orifice. Spent an hour cleaning it.

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    There's going to be wear in those places if it's shot no matter what. I would only be pissed if I intended it to be a NIB non-shooter for my collection. Do you plan to use it?

Like I said earlier, one magazine of WWB or similar is dirty enough to make it look like a carbon and powder residue bomb went off inside.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Ok thanks clandestine I know I dont post much but I read alot and ive noticed 2 things about you. 1-you're extremely helpful. 2-you know your sh!t. Ill take your word for it and ill let it go. Thank you very much. You have my vote for Maryland shooter's member of the year.

Thank you for the kind words. BTW did it shoot ok? Accurate?

DaceNemo

Small fish. Big pond.
    Mar 17, 2013
    Baltimore
    Still haven't shot it. Going to the range Friday. And hell yes I'm gonna shoot it lol. I wouldn't buy a car I wouldn't drive. Ive never fired a .45 nor have I cleaned a .45 didn't realize they were that dirty to be honest. That's part of the reason I wanted some opinions. I truly did think someone enjoyed my baby before me and it pissed me off. I thank you ALL for your feedback. Just by comparison to my. 40 I found it odd at how dirty it was but noe I know.

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    I'm saying some ammo is super dirty, especially cheap target ammo, not the gun itself. WWB .45 ACP FMJ 230gr is hilarious out of my Ruger Blackhawk because the barrel bore keeps smoking for at least five seconds after every shot. It's like being in an old wild west movie. ;)

pwoolford

AR15's make me :-)
    Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh
    I wouldn't worry about it. Many of the guns I've purchased were fairly dirty right out of the box. Some came from a gun shop with a range others from just a gun shop. I figured the factory had to test, or work on, some guns a little more than others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cfreeman818

Latest threads

Top Bottom