• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Don't count on it. Some criminals are attracted to that stuff. They assume you have nice firearms to steal.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    The suspects in the OP were caught last week, btw.

Not that there aren't a lot more goons out there.

Was it the guy in post #19,
    Do you have any further info?
    Our neighborhood Association keeps sending out emails about break ins and people may be over reacting. I'd like to know if any of these places had alarms or dogs.

We've had our cars cleaned out in our neighborhood but only those who left them unlocked. Garages have been burgled but only when people leave the garage doors open all night. That has been happening for years all around our neighborhood which I consider mid-upscale. One guy was caught once a couple years ago and he was from Baltimore (in the city). The ones that look for "opportunities" will continue.

I am not sure I'm willing to take a shot at someone over property but what are the laws about firearms outside the home in MD?
    If they are in your garage and then flee and you think they are armed, what are the laws? I wouldn't want someone taking pop shots at me or my kids window when they are fleeing the house.

Thx

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    I am not sure I'm willing to take a shot at someone over property but what are the laws about firearms outside the home in MD?

In MD, you cannot go outside your house and start shooting at someone over property theft. Regardless, it's a terrible idea to go outside with a gun if you suspect somebody is out there stealing something, since you would be escalating the situation into life threatening.

If they are in your garage and then flee and you think they are armed, what are the laws?

If they flee, the threat is ended. If you shooting at them at that point, it would constitute vigilantism and attempted murder on your part, not to mention reckless endangerment of any nearby neighbors.

I wouldn't want someone taking pop shots at me or my kids window when they are fleeing the house.

Are you aware of that having happened locally? Short of you chasing after them outside your house, gun in your hands or not, it's highly doubtful a BG will arbitrarily shoot back at your house.

In any of these scenarios, depending on your actions, you could be arrested and aggressively prosecuted for gun crime. Like it or not, this is MD, not Texas. MD castle doctrine applies inside your house, not outside in your yard or shed and certainly not if you leave your property.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Not aware of anyone doing pop shots while fleeing.All my questions were hypothetical. I'm interested in knowing the law on the subject.
    Like I said (maybe not clearly enough), I'm not interested in shooting someone over property.
    Thx.

DinDinh04

Dec 28, 2012
    MD
    Howard County is starting to get bad, around the mall is pretty bad too. My car was stolen in front of my house in Columbia near the College...Just stay vigilant in your area.

Captnstabn

Apr 22, 2010
    Howard County is starting to get bad, around the mall is pretty bad too. My car was stolen in front of my house in Columbia near the College...Just stay vigilant in your area.

That area has been bad for a long time. The harper's choice area is probably the worst area in howard county.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    holy crap that's right around the corner from me.

You know, there was some black guy dressed in really dirty dress clothes asking about switching to comcast, but he didn't have any clipboard or anything- he looked like a crackhead so I just lied and said I wasn't the home owner.

I keep a makarov in the drawer by the door, so it'd been fine if it's him, but this guy is apparently a coward. If a guy like this knocks, don't answer, if he starts kicking shoot through the door, we have castle doctrine in MD, and if someone is, quote
    "perpetrating a crime by force or surprise"

You are not required to retreat and may use deadly force even if you do not feel your life is in danger

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    Like the intelligence officer in the movie Pearl Harbor said: A smart enemy hits you where you least expect it. Can't be too safe no matter where you live.

actually, MSP have stated that criminals that work in the PA area have been forced to move down to MD, especially howard county, specifically because of the steady rise in the rate of concealed carry practitioners in PA, and the shall issue/won't issue status and high affluence of HC.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I worked for Howard Fire years ago. You would be amazed at the calls I went on that never made it into the news. Beatings, rape, overdoses and so on. The Columbia paper wont let that info get into print.'

Exactly.
    Listening to a police scanner will give you a new perspective on things.

DinDinh04

Dec 28, 2012
    MD
    I worked for Howard Fire years ago. You would be amazed at the calls I went on that never made it into the news. Beatings, rape, overdoses and so on. The Columbia paper wont let that info get into print.'

Wouldn't surprise me, they want that area to be known as a nice clean safe area. Frog legs I tell ya!:sad20:

Armadillofz1

Ultimate Member
    Mar 25, 2012
    DM-42

When you're not worried about the crooks you have to be worried about the cops here in hoco. A certain incident at a certain golf resort would really warp people's brains. Again. Never made the paper.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    When you're not worried about the crooks you have to be worried about the cops here in hoco. A certain incident at a certain golf resort would really warp people's brains. Again. Never made the paper.

Don't tease ... either tell the story or delete the reference :sad20:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom