How's the deer hunting in Montgomery County?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    ...and there in lies the rub. Non hunters swear "they're all over the place!" except where we hunt them every weekend. Even the legend of urban deer being used to human scent and thereby easy to kill is BS. I've hunted them as well for over 30 years. I always felt I would have done better if I had warn my father's cologne while sitting in my tree. I did manage to make my dent in the population though.

They are stupidly tame where they are not pursued. They'll walk up and eat out of your hands.
    Everything you said is true. I hunt a small place where deer hear,see and smell people everyday. If they hear,smell or see me going to my stand, they are gone in a heartbeat. If the wind is blowing towards them, I never see them from my stand. I usually kill 2 per year there. Once I do that, I rarely see any coming through there for the rest of the season except button bucks

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Montgomery county is straight walled cartridges or shotgun slug only.
    That's according to the published state DNR book. Not sure if it has changed but, there are/were areas that are exceptions. According to the last Mo Co local regs I saw, portions of the county allow/allowed rifle, as long as they were 25 cal or smaller. As I recall, it was in the less populated western part of the county. Admittedly, that was some years ago when I saw the regs. It would be interesting to find what the current local regulations are.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    That's according to the published state DNR book. Not sure if it has changed but, there are/were areas that are exceptions. According to the last Mo Co local regs I saw, portions of the county allow/allowed rifle, as long as they were 25 cal or smaller. As I recall, it was in the less populated western part of the county. Admittedly, that was some years ago when I saw the regs. It would be interesting to find what the current local regulations are.
    Was that for deer? There are places in MoCo where center fire guns can be used on varmints and such. Never deer(AFAIK).

leomort

Jul 31, 2020
    For you guys who do hunting in Montgomery County. What's your preference in firearms? Something like a 350 Legend in a rifle, or perhaps 44mag revolver? Or perhaps 44mag lever action rifle? So what your advice been in regards to firearms? I am southpaw. I do reload/handload so it's just a matter of getting components which at this time, primers would be the main challenge. Thank you for your feedback!

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    For you guys who do hunting in Montgomery County. What's your preference in firearms? Something like a 350 Legend in a rifle, or perhaps 44mag revolver? Or perhaps 44mag lever action rifle? So what your advice been in regards to firearms? I am southpaw. I do reload/handload so it's just a matter of getting components which at this time, primers would be the main challenge. Thank you for your feedback!
    Ok, let me start with I don’t hunt deer in Montgomery Co.
    Unless something changed this year( which I don’t believe did) you can’t hunt with a handgun.
    I know, it’s dumb. You can hunt with a rifle in 44 mag, but not a handgun. Idiots!

As far as what caliber, we’ll that’s a lot of personal preference. If your shots are going to be 75 yards or closer a 12 or 20 gauge slug is hard to beat. Maybe you will be in an area that further shots will be taken? Then any of the straight walled cartridges will do.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Savage 220 with 20g 2 3/4" AccuTips. Deadly accurate. I actually use this gun in Fredric Co(a rifle county).

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    Ok, let me start with I don’t hunt deer in Montgomery Co.
    Unless something changed this year( which I don’t believe did) you can’t hunt with a handgun.
    I know, it’s dumb. You can hunt with a rifle in 44 mag, but not a handgun. Idiots!

As far as what caliber, we’ll that’s a lot of personal preference. If your shots are going to be 75 yards or closer a 12 or 20 gauge slug is hard to beat. Maybe you will be in an area that further shots will be taken? Then any of the straight walled cartridges will do.

Unless I'm reading the above incorrectly, you can absolutely hunt with a handgun in MD and it's been legal for a number of years. Unless I'm mistaken, any place that allows SWC allows SWC out of a handgun meeting the following requirements. Is there a MoCo pre-emption?

1664746954889.png

https://www.eregulations.com/maryland/hunting/general-deer-hunting-rules

https://www.eregulations.com/maryland/hunting/deer-regs-for-archery-muzzleloader-firearms-airguns

Last edited:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    The way I read it(take that for what it's worth...), I believe you are correct.
    I'm solidly in bottleneck territory. I know a few folks who are into hunting with handguns. I stick with .308 or 30-06 in a rifle during firearms season for simplicity and a complete lack of desire to bring effective range closer in.

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    Unless I'm reading the above incorrectly, you can absolutely hunt with a handgun in MD and it's been legal for a number of years. Unless I'm mistaken, any place that allows SWC allows SWC out of a handgun meeting the following requirements. Is there a MoCo pre-emption?

View attachment 382475

https://www.eregulations.com/maryland/hunting/deer-regs-for-archery-muzzleloader-firearms-airguns
    I was wrong, you are correct. I was thinking about the laws in the past. Before straight walled were allowed, Frederick co, was the only “shotgun area”, you were allowed to y use handguns in.

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    I'm solidly in bottleneck territory. I know a few folks who are into hunting with handguns. I stick with .308 or 30-06 in a rifle during firearms season for simplicity and a complete lack of desire to bring effective range closer in.
    When Frederick was shotgun only, I used a TC contender in 30-30, for years. I also used a AR pistol in 300 blackout, a few time as well.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I've taken a few deer with pistols...

big six.jpg

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    According to the last Mo Co local regs I saw, portions of the county allow/allowed rifle, as long as they were 25 cal or smaller.

To my knowledge that’s a MoCo law just about shooting in the rural area’s and not about hunting.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Everything you said is true. I hunt a small place where deer hear,see and smell people everyday. If they hear,smell or see me going to my stand, they are gone in a heartbeat. If the wind is blowing towards them, I never see them from my stand. I usually kill 2 per year there. Once I do that, I rarely see any coming through there for the rest of the season except button bucks
    Oh they know when they are getting hunted for sure. I can walk within 30yds of them with my trash can and they just stare. I can go feed my chickens and walk within 15yds of them. Usually they’ll run off after a minute, but I can stand around and talk to them before they run off.

But crossbow in hands and no where to be found. A blind works okay, and from my sideyard it’s close enough to the house my smell doesn’t bother them a bit. I’ve had them within 10yds with the wind blowing towards them and at most they are slightly nervous.

From my stand 60 or so yds away and if the wind blows towards them they either run or are very agitated. They know it doesn’t smell like me down in the woods by the creek.

I did see 8 or 9 of them on my game camera by my feeder down there. A couple days later one of the big does figured out she could nuzzle the spinner and get corn. She did that 3 days in a row until she knocked a bolt loose and the spinner tipped down off the feeder dumping 20# of corn on the ground.

It was kind of funny because my game camera caught the moment of action as it starts dumping corn and the next picture is 3 blurs sprinting off.

Deer and raccoons have been making pigs of themselves from yesterday morning till this afternoon when I found it. I tack welded the nuts on the bolts holding the spinner to the can holding the corn and raised it up about 2’ further off the ground so they can’t reach it.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

View attachment 382475

But of note, SWC in a handgun. No 7.5FK Bruno’s for you!

Last edited:

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    Oh they know when they are getting hunted for sure. I can walk within 30yds of them with my trash can and they just stare. I can go feed my chickens and walk within 15yds of them. Usually they’ll run off after a minute, but I can stand around and talk to them before they run off.

But crossbow in hands and no where to be found. A blind works okay, and from my sideyard it’s close enough to the house my smell doesn’t bother them a bit. I’ve had them within 10yds with the wind blowing towards them and at most they are slightly nervous.

From my stand 60 or so yds away and if the wind blows towards them they either run or are very agitated. They know it doesn’t smell like me down in the woods by the creek.

I did see 8 or 9 of them on my game camera by my feeder down there. A couple days later one of the big does figured out she could nuzzle the spinner and get corn. She did that 3 days in a row until she knocked a bolt loose and the spinner tipped down off the feeder dumping 20# of corn on the ground.

It was kind of funny because my game camera caught the moment of action as it starts dumping corn and the next picture is 3 blurs sprinting off.

Deer and raccoons have been making pigs of themselves from yesterday morning till this afternoon when I found it. I tack welded the nuts on the bolts holding the spinner to the can holding the corn and raised it up about 2’ further off the ground so they can’t reach it.

Used to work across the street from NIST. Never saw a deer until it was deer season. They would be all over the fence eating the grass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bapple

Latest threads

Top Bottom